Persona 4 the ANIMATION – 24, 25 (END) »« Persona 4 the ANIMATION – 22

Persona 4 the ANIMATION – 23

Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   01 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   02 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   03
Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   04 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   05 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   06
Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   07 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   08 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   09
Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   10 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   11 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   12
Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   13 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   14 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   15
Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   16 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   17 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   18
Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   19 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   20 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   21
Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   22 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   23 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   24
Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   25 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   26 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   27
Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   28 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   29 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   30
Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   31 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   32 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   33
Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   34 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   35 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   36

「In Order to Find the Truth」

Desperate times call for desperate measures, and in this hour of need, which path will the Investigation Team take? This doesn’t seem like the same show anymore. What happened to the humor and hijinks of the previous 22 episodes? All the fun school events seem like a distant memory now as we’re left tumbling from the previous heights of hilarity to deal with the reality of losing one of our favorite characters in the show – someone we thought was safe, someone who was completely uninvolved in the case.

Watching every member of the Investigation Team sob was even more tear-jerking than the event that unleashed their waterworks. Even Yousuke wasn’t his usual wise-cracking self. Crying, like laughing, is a contagious activity, whether you like it or not. Shows put laugh tracks in to make us laugh at their jokes, and if they could put in crying tracks somehow, I’m sure they would do that as well. Unfortunately, I’m dead inside so I couldn’t summon even a single drop to shed, but trust me when I say their sadness spoke directly to my heart. Just think of me like Yuu, summoning every ounce of our maxed out attributes just to hold back the flood of tears until no one is around to witness them, except for my bro Yousuke. Personally, I think I would have wanted Yukiko to be the one there for me, but Yuu doesn’t discriminate like that.

After a murder, one of the most intense issues that the victim’s family and friends have to deal with is the fact that the murderer is still alive while someone innocent is not. From this, the need for vengeance is the natural emotional consequence, so I can understand why everyone wants to take matters into their own hands and deal with Namatame on their own, beginning with Doujima and then including the usually mild-mannered Adachi. It’s also very reasonable that the Investigation Team, who never trusted the police in the first place, contemplated using the Mayonaka TV to punish Namatame. These desperate times were made even more palpable when the normally united group began splitting up on mostly gender lines on the issue of throwing Namatame into the TV. My respect for Yuu, which was already high, increased even more after witnessing his dogged and determined look while dragging Namatame to the brink of punishment and death, and increased yet again when Yuu halted at the last second after an image of a smiling and happy Nanako.

I was immensely relieved that the bad ending was avoided with the group’s eventual resolve to find out the truth. It can be hard to think clearly when people’s emotions are consumed by anger, sadness, and desire for revenge, which probably made everyone jump to conclusions too quickly. Not everything added up, and they didn’t even ask Namatame for his side of the events yet either, which proved to be very enlightening. The revelations about what really happened, what Namatame’s true motives were and what he thought he was doing, all of the flashbacks were a welcome explanation, and interesting to see people’s different takes on the world inside the TV. Yuu and company were scared of it because they actually fell in and knew what dangers lurked inside, while Namatame somehow assumed that the world inside was safer than the real world until he finally followed Nanako in. Nevertheless, I still think that the whole thing is a creative and clever explanation for all the events that we’ve witnessed so far, and it does leave us the question of who really killed the first two people – leading us to the real culprit, presumably the one who’s been sending Yuu the threatening letters. For those of you who haven’t played the game, any ideas about who would fit Naoto’s description? And what did you think about Namatame’s explanation, about him not being the true killer?

Lost in the shuffle of everything that is happening is the whereabouts of one large stuffed bear and the oppressive fog that is turning the residents of Inaba paranoid. I felt so bad for Kuma, who’s basically neglected by everyone, save for a barrage of phone calls from Yousuke. When I saw him alone in the fog, saying goodbye, it was almost too much for me to bear. And what was strange was that soon after he disappeared into the soupy fog, Nanako came back to life. Unfortunately, now that Yuu has so many messages of support from all his friends, he might not notice that a person who’s been around from the start won’t be there for him anymore. It’s a bittersweet feeling to see one character come back, and another leave. Hopefully, now with the Investigation Team reunited in the search for truth and the true culprit, we won’t have to deal with any more deaths and disappearances – I don’t know how much longer I can hold back these manly tears.

Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   Preview 01 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   Preview 02 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   23   Preview 03
March 17, 2012 at 5:00 pm
  • March 17, 2012 at 5:03 pmLitho

Wait!! … Loliko’s alive?!
    Now I gotta pick this series back up again.

• March 17, 2012 at 5:09 pm0927123

Almost there!
    Didn’t play the game but I’ve got a feeling that it’s Show Spoiler ▼

On a more lighter note. In spite of Kanji having a crush on Naoto, I find it funny on how Yuu easily ‘captures’ Naoto’s heart. Naoto blushing, hnggggggggggg……

• March 17, 2012 at 5:51 pmAni_BEE

I’ve been suspect that person since around ep.16 but was throw off by Namatame the past few episodes. I’d like to say why but I’m not sure on how to use spoiler tags.

• March 18, 2012 at 12:31 amLuxor

I’ve known who it is for a while, unfortunately. T_T
        But I hope I heard wrong, because none of it makes sense… Anyway, answers should start flying soon, so brace yourself!

• March 18, 2012 at 8:49 amReaD

what will be another one beside Show Spoiler ▼

..well in game…

click at ur own riskk… Show Spoiler ▼

• March 18, 2012 at 8:49 amReaD

there will be….not what will…argh typo…

• March 17, 2012 at 5:12 pmKusabi

Finally, Status attribute maxed out. Now Yuu should have godlike power. Cast Megidolaon often, Yuu.

• March 17, 2012 at 5:16 pmKTNO

To the killer:
    ” THEY’RE COMING FOR YOU BITCH “

• March 17, 2012 at 5:19 pmAvalanche

The noodle girl (Aika?) is totally the culprit. She can practically teleport, so why not? Seriously I’m leaning towards 0927123 guess. Unless a possible, maybe spoiler someone mentioned at the first episode is true. Hmm…

• March 18, 2012 at 5:49 amCrook

Too bad, Aika didn’t make an appearance in the game, so it’s impossible.
      She also made no real relationships with any character so she would be boring as a killer.
      Look at a character that has had more conversations with people and one, for me an already spoiled person comes to mind…

• March 17, 2012 at 5:58 pmDa5id

Hey, where’d my comment go?

…was I right?

• March 17, 2012 at 6:03 pmverdant

Sorry, thought you were trolling, if you do make a prediction, put it into spoiler tags like 0927123 did.

• March 17, 2012 at 6:10 pmDa5id

Yeah, sorry about that.

But wow, this is a shock. I never suspected him before.

• March 17, 2012 at 6:04 pmAex

Oh MAN that had me shaking! As someone who has played the game, in my opinion that was done near-perfectly. The reactions of the Team were especially great. It would’ve felt weird if Yuu hadn’t snapped at all, so stopping himself just before throwing Namatame to his death was the perfect transition from “bad” to “good ending”.

Nanako’s death was taken a little further than it should’ve been with her actually taken out of the room, and making it a lot less obvious as to why she came back to life, but that’s really my only complaint here.

It was also well done how you could see the light-bulb go on in Yuu’s mind at the very end as he put the pieces together. “Good ending” firmly acquired! Empress!!

• March 17, 2012 at 6:07 pmHenDarou

Well, my prediction about the pacing for the last few episodes wasn’t too far off. Definitely gonna be the true ending.

MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD – DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN’T FINISHED THE GAME!

• March 17, 2012 at 6:11 pmDa5id

I haven’t played the game I didn’t understand anything you put under that spoiler, so it seems kind of pointless in hindsight.

• March 17, 2012 at 11:52 pmTehJawknee

That is the whole point. Anyone who hasn’t played the game will have no clue what he’s talking about, but those who have will get the hint of what’s going on.

• March 18, 2012 at 12:21 amDa5id

But if it’s indecipherable to non-players, then why put it under spoilers? Even if they look under the spoiler tag, they wouldn’t get what it says, let alone spoil anything.

• March 18, 2012 at 5:32 amHenDarou

Well, that is somewhat true, but there are some things about the next battle that you can figure out through what I said, so I put a spoiler tag just to be sure.

• March 17, 2012 at 6:09 pmAni_BEE

I kind of lost it when Yuu broke down he started as such a blank slate I’m suprised how muchh as a viewer I feel for his pain.

I’m really curious about why Nanako death and revival is/how it’s tied to Kuma and the other world.

I think I’m going to have to read up on the arcana from this game as I feel like I’m missing something but assuming the completed ring with the last 2 means Yuu’s got them all means something important other then the game mechanics.

• March 17, 2012 at 6:12 pmKusabi

Could anyone tell me the differences between the game and anime in this episode?

• March 17, 2012 at 6:19 pmAex

Not much. Kanji roughs up Adachi a bit for telling Dojima where Namatame is, the scene in Namatame’s room wasn’t as dramatic in the game, Nanako is already alive again by the time they get back from not killing Namatame, where Kuma went is explained more, Namatame talks a bit more the next day, and Yuu doesn’t have an emotional moment with Yosuke at the hospital. Think that’s everything…

• March 17, 2012 at 7:04 pmKusabi

Thanx a bunch for explaining, Aex.

• March 17, 2012 at 6:19 pmKumakaori

I’ve played the game, so no guess from me. But I’m hoping now with Judgement Arcana Acquired We’ll see an effect akin to if we’d Max’d the Party member Social links >).

Dang, that massive beef bowl didnt stand a chance o_o;;.

• March 17, 2012 at 6:22 pmCTT

• March 17, 2012 at 6:23 pmCTT

Ah… I messed up.

• March 17, 2012 at 6:26 pmTre

The next episode is called “The World is Full of Shit”.

To those who haven’t watched the preview, I’m not joking.

That has to be the greatest title for an anime episode ever, and it’s really fitting after everything that has happened.

• March 17, 2012 at 6:28 pmAex

It’s actually even more fitting when the mask comes off and you see who says it XD

• March 17, 2012 at 6:54 pmleo

Give me back my tear I sheared last episode.

• March 17, 2012 at 6:55 pmfragb85

Nanakoooooooooooo!

I loves the how the team goes in to a rage over Namatme. Once again these scenes from the game would have been much better if there wasn’t a silent protagonist. Seeing Yuu mad enough to kill Namatame was a nice moment and its even better when he finds the strength to hold himself back.

Nanako did in fact come back to life much earlier in the game. Here though, it works better for the episode that she comes back in the end. Its a nice way to finish with an happy state at least until the culprit is revealed.

• March 17, 2012 at 7:19 pmJiCi

Hmmm… this episode is more talk than action, so I doubt that much has changed from the game:

(Nevermind…)

The rest is spot-on though… I’m hoping for a great finale here.

Thanks again for the review Verdant, always appreciated !

BTW, I’m taking a VERY CLOSE look at the characters since the begining, and I can’t wrap by head around something… is Yukiko supposed to be THAT tall ? In-game, she’s about the same height as Chie, but here she’s almost a good 6 or 8 inches taller than Chie. Does anyone has their heights somewhere, like in the P4 artbook or something similar ? I’d like to know that detail please.

• March 17, 2012 at 7:34 pmfragb85

Nanako’s revival at the end was much more emotionally rewarding if they did it in the end of the episode rather than right after sparing Namatame like the game. Its a change from the game that I actually like better.

• March 17, 2012 at 7:40 pmDa5id

THE WORLD IS FULL OF SHIT.

That’s the most unsettling thing I’ve read from this show since I read “I WILL STRIP SEARCH IF I HAVE TO” in the lyrics to the 2nd opening.

• March 17, 2012 at 7:57 pmmyman88

What, no one mentioning how Yuu FINALLY obtained the Empress Arcana after almost 20+ episodes of us waiting for it?

• March 17, 2012 at 8:03 pmKusabi

Sorry, I’m no P4-gamer. Who is the Empress? And Could you tell me Empress’s ultimate Persona?

• March 17, 2012 at 8:12 pmDastardry

The Empress is Margaret. Ingame you rank her up by completing fusing requests she gives you. In the anime she simply talks about the things she talks to you about in the game by ranking up at the start of each episode instead. Completing the Empress social link lets you fuse Isis, an egyptian goddess.

• March 17, 2012 at 10:25 pmD-LaN

Apparentlyy trash-talking and flirting is also prt os S.Link. And no Yuu vs. Margaret?

• March 17, 2012 at 8:00 pmThousand Mistress

The comment above me. XD YES, THE WORLD IS FULL OF SHIT.

To the gamers (like me), I don’t have to say what happens next episode.
    To the followers of the series, just try to take a guess what happens next episode /troll XDD
    And by that means, I cannot wait to see a certain someone next week.

Also, I’ve been thinking about this ever since after watching the episode…if they pursue the true ending, it will definitely take them two or three more episodes. But as far as I’m concerned, it was confirmed for only 26 eps…? If it’s 26 eps, it’s only the good ending. D:

• March 17, 2012 at 8:33 pmNhelraios

Thank goodness he didnt throw Namatame(ugh bad end).

Next week: the true culprit. Oh how I wish I can join you guys in a week of thinking who’s the real culprit.

And oh, Kuma’s “farewell Sensei” was beary painful to watch.

• March 17, 2012 at 8:44 pmsaka

time for the investigation team to reach out to the truth of the first 2 murders & the midnight channel.

brosuke, always there for a shoulder to lean on.

i wonder if they’ll do the scene where teddie Show Spoiler ▼

• March 17, 2012 at 9:08 pmZephyr

Oh no so few episodes left…. no TRUE ENDING???
    Or dun tell me the directors gonna pull a fast one and release the TRUE ENDING as a bonus episode or two in the blue ray sales… =_=

• March 17, 2012 at 9:49 pmAex

Yeah… I can’t see them doing True Ending with only 2 episodes left unless next episode finishes up both of the Good Ending boss fights. Even then there wouldn’t really be enough time unless they skipped everything else… Probably planning it as an OVA :(

• March 17, 2012 at 10:57 pmD-LaN

May I know just how many ep. this show left?

• March 18, 2012 at 1:22 pmHenDarou

Most places I can find (that’s very few) seem to say 25 episodes, though some places seem to suggest that there might be 26. I can certainly see them pulling off the true ending with 26 episodes, perhaps even with a Christmas event. It could become pretty difficult with 25, though it might be possible if they do it right…

• March 17, 2012 at 9:53 pmUnajuuphile

I always get an irresistible nikudon craving when I watch the show (and especially with this episode….yum).

• March 17, 2012 at 9:58 pmSnicket

So we’ve reached this point in the story. The eleventh hour is upon us and the Investigation team, needs to find out who the killer is before everything is comsumed by the fog. I’ve played the game, so I’m not going to spoil the next episode for those who haven’t.

However I will say this. Up until this episode, i was OK with the changes the show made from the game. Granted, it would of been nice if certain parts stayed intact. Though the cut/changed portions were made for with anime original content. Show Spoiler ▼

That’s why i’m irked about that changed.

• March 17, 2012 at 10:08 pmrpgman1

I’ve played the game recently so I won’t spoil anything about the true culprit. Rumors keep flying around about what Yuu will summon for Empress and Judgment. People assume it will be the Ultimate versions. I think Nanako going back to life was due to Kuma’s disappearance and what he represents (The Star Arcana). Yuu overcomes the Fool and receives both Judgment and Empress Arcana. How fitting for him to also finish the special meat bowl rather quickly.

There is no way the True Ending will be reached unless there will be an OVA about it after the last episode. The title is hilarious in a sense since it isn’t what you’re expected to be.

• March 17, 2012 at 11:57 pmVii

“almost too much for me to bear”
    Was that intentional? Either way, it was sad. P4 is such an emotional roller-coaster.

• March 18, 2012 at 12:17 amZhinvu

Yuu looked really scary when he was dragging Namatame by the collar. While Yuu’s deadpan look works well in comedy, in Namatame’s case it’s not really funny if someone with that face was dragging you towards the TV. Show Spoiler ▼

• March 18, 2012 at 5:01 amWhat

“soupy fog, and it was almost to much for me to BEAR” -kuma.

• March 18, 2012 at 7:51 amChaos Raiden

So far, this is my sentiment towards Persona 4 The Animation:

Persona 4 The Animation = One of the best anime series adapted from a video game.

Hope the last few episodes will be great.

• March 18, 2012 at 9:27 amThe Story You Don’t Know

I agree, this adaptation is actually one of the bests. Most game to anime adaptations usually don’t do great (Tales of the Abyss, anyone?)but with Persona 4, they actually made it better. Narukami actually got his own character development and I find him so good that he can’t be compared to MC when you actually play the game. They also made some scenes more dramatic and better than the ones in the game.

• March 18, 2012 at 10:06 amXanathos

Cool, they unlocked the Judgement Arcana =)
    And for the looks of it, at last Yuu figured out the true culprit.
    Next episode will be the beginning of the true challenge.
    (Well, unless “that” thing appears as well… p4 fans know what i mean)
    Izanagi’s pair, y’know.

• March 18, 2012 at 11:29 am3242

Naanaakooo!
    Except for Kuma Leaving,
    whenever I saw him standing beside Nanako I had that idea that he could revive her, I mean after all, he made his body out of nothingness, but I dismissed that because mygoodness Nanako was dead! D8

• March 18, 2012 at 2:08 pmLong

Haven’t played the game either, but been thinking with all these clues I’m seeing it’s probably Show Spoiler ▼

• March 18, 2012 at 2:30 pmrpgman1

Highly doubt it because throughout the series we have never seen Show Spoiler ▼

• March 21, 2012 at 3:15 pmlorenzo

As a game player, I can tell you that’s not it, but I admit it would have been very interesting if that had been the case. Something they should use in the next Persona.

• March 18, 2012 at 3:41 pmYanDaMan

Well since I’ve already played the game I know who the culprit is. But I will say it kinda makes me sad since I actually kinda like that person. Im sure next weeks episode will reveal the killer.

• March 18, 2012 at 4:32 pmAnza

Next week is going to be awesome, can’t wait to see how they fuck up Suspect #10 (in the game your given a list of people it could be, the killer is #10)

• March 18, 2012 at 7:50 pmhaseo0408

This was problably the most human episode so far, all Persona games are based in the the building of bonds and exploration of the human condition, so cudis to the writers for give life to the most emotional scene in the game in all its sad and respectful glory. By the way, Yu you are the man!.

• March 18, 2012 at 8:45 pmcalcilis

looks like from the wiki that we onli have 25 episodes
    so no true ending?

• March 18, 2012 at 9:09 pmDvalinn

Well, with two episodes left, a true ending is still possible. Dunno if these would be considered spoilers (let’s not risk it), but…

So far this has been a really good adaptation though. A few minor things irk me, but overall it’s been faithful, the stuff that was added in the anime fits (and is usually funny as hell) and it’s full of easter eggs for the fans (like the Persona 3 opening for the class trip).

• March 19, 2012 at 11:35 amiron2000

Feels like Namatame’s TV has a better reception of Mayonaka TV :P

• March 19, 2012 at 3:43 pmayasawada

I love this show. That scene when Hanamura came back to offer a shoulder after everyone had left was just perfect.

Always great when something you enjoy for ‘light-hearted entertainment’ turns out to have more of a hold on you than you expected ^^

• March 23, 2012 at 3:54 amk1r4yume

finally narukami can finish that donburi…:D

• April 2, 2012 at 5:35 amsealouse

Hey are you gonna blog the last 2 episodes? It would be kind of lame to drop a series with only 2 episodes left.

• April 3, 2012 at 11:11 amcshin9

I second that. This is a great anime, and we want to read your thoughts on it!

• April 3, 2012 at 1:54 pmverdant

Yeah, sorry for the wait, I was busy with finals, putting together the season preview, and real life stuff – but it should come out today!