Natsuiro Kiseki – 03 »« Natsuiro Kiseki – 01

Natsuiro Kiseki   02   19 Natsuiro Kiseki   02   20 Natsuiro Kiseki   02   21
Natsuiro Kiseki   02   22 Natsuiro Kiseki   02   23 Natsuiro Kiseki   02   24
Natsuiro Kiseki   02   25 Natsuiro Kiseki   02   26 Natsuiro Kiseki   02   27
Natsuiro Kiseki   02   28 Natsuiro Kiseki   02   29 Natsuiro Kiseki   02   30
Natsuiro Kiseki   02   31 Natsuiro Kiseki   02   32 Natsuiro Kiseki   02   33
Natsuiro Kiseki   02   34 Natsuiro Kiseki   02   35 Natsuiro Kiseki   02   36

「ココロかさねて」 (Kokoro Ka Sanete)
“Wishing Together”

So it looks like all four of them aren’t required to make a wish. It’s not certain whether two are still needed, or whether one person can make a wish alone, but what is certain is that it’s less the number of people than the feeling that matters. While Yuka wishing to be an idol, a model, a billionaire, and to never have to do chores again was cute and all, those weren’t the sort of heartfelt wishes that the big rock appears to grant. Rather, it’s the ones that the characters truly feel from the bottom of their hearts – like for their friends to make up, or to be able to fly (because what person hasn’t wished for that?) – that it grants. “Heartfelt” is a good word for it, yeah.

Anyway, so this episode was primarily about Natsumi and Saki making up. While I didn’t get attached to Natsumi and Saki in the first episode, I’m definitely there now. It’s not that they didn’t spend half the time still fighting, it’s just that they both got to show off their good sides a little more as well. I especially like how Saki was going to text Natsumi to apologize anyway. D’AWWW, that’s true friendship!

But probably the part that most people liked the most – myself included – was all the delightful yuri subtext. While there’s a part of me that must decry the fact that every anime with primarily female cast invariably ends up pandering to the yuri crowd, the rest of me loves seeing Natsumi and Saki stuck together like this. Ahhh hypocrisy, thy name is Stilts! I must admit though, the moment where they separated and then flopped into the water (while Yuka simply stopped, because she’s not as much of a baka as they thought!) was both amusing and endearing. You two didn’t think that one through real well, didja? Hah!

The thing I didn’t expect was that someone would see the four girls flying. This opens up the door for drama, which I wouldn’t have expected at episode two. That said, I still don’t really sense any drama on the horizon – I just can’t imagine episode turning into some kind of witch hunt, despite the evidence to the contrary. Rather, it looks like Sunrise just isn’t content to let the girls to goof around, make wishes on the big rock, and end up with glamorous lives. Instead, they’re mixing things up a bit so that we get to see how the girls react in different (slightly supernatural) situations every week. Hopefully this will keep things fresh all the way until the end!

tl;dr: @StiltsOutLoud – Cute girls + fighting + well-intentioned friends + wish-granting rock = fun times! Mmmm, taste that yuri goodness :3 #Natsuiro_Kiseki

Random thoughts:

• The chase scene dragged on a little too long, particularly in the middle, where it seemed like they were just padding out the episode. That said, it recovered by the end. Still, I could have gone for less of the chase and more of the bedroom scene. I have a feeling I’m not alone in this.
  • Anyone else get Conan Edogawa vibes from Yuusuke-kun (Mako)? Or is shouta + glasses + curiosity not enough to say that?
  • Rin wouldn’t mind being stuck to Yuka, eh? Ufufufu~ :3

Full-size images: 08, 13

ED1.5 Sequence

Natsuiro Kiseki   ED1.5   01 Natsuiro Kiseki   ED1.5   02 Natsuiro Kiseki   ED1.5   03

ED: 「明日への帰り道」 (Ashita e no Kaeri Michi) by Sphere
Watch the ED!: Streaming ▼

Natsuiro Kiseki   02   Preview 01 Natsuiro Kiseki   02   Preview 02 Natsuiro Kiseki   02   Preview 03
April 13, 2012 at 4:54 pm
  • April 13, 2012 at 4:58 pmDa5id

UNDERtones is and UNDERstatement.

• April 13, 2012 at 4:58 pmDa5id

*an

GOD DAMMIT

• April 13, 2012 at 7:15 pmfragb85

Well looks like I found something else this season to add to my watch list.

*puts on goggles*

• April 13, 2012 at 11:33 pmJohn Hayabusa

I would like to thank Yuka, Rinko, and the big rock for granting their wish that Natsumi and Saki would be literally stuck together and make up, and our wish that there IS indeed yuri between these two in this anime.

On another note, you got to love Natsumi’s cute bra.

• April 13, 2012 at 11:51 pmcancerlad

Cute-bra for president?

• April 13, 2012 at 5:03 pmMoomba

Looks like someone’s mind was opened to the concept of yuri pretty early eh?

• April 13, 2012 at 5:05 pmDa5id

“Mom, why are those girls so close together?”

“Because dear, they’re best friends!”

“I dunno, they seem a little too clo-”

“THEY’RE. BEST. FRIENDS.”

• April 15, 2012 at 12:08 amomeganx

and I have yet to witness a scene with two girl friends groping each other for fun! Im missing out on a very important of life!

• April 13, 2012 at 5:20 pmstarss

…………. this show……….. is hot. It doesn’t matter if they’re just friends, I totally get that.

• April 13, 2012 at 5:20 pmxephx

These girls can run. Natsumi and Saki should enter a 3 legged competition they would probably set some sort of record.

• April 13, 2012 at 5:21 pmFencedude

Tribadism ur doin’ it wrong.

• April 13, 2012 at 9:05 pmStilts

There’s nothing wrong about that. Nothing wrong about that at all… :D

• April 14, 2012 at 7:21 amThe Moondoggie

Natsumi and Saki uses Yuri tropes on Stilts… It super-effective! Stilts is infatuated with Natsumi and Saki.

• April 14, 2012 at 7:05 amSeishun Otoko

I LOL!
      Mmmm… yuri love is pure

• April 14, 2012 at 7:22 amThe Moondoggie

Images 12 to 17: click, save.

• April 13, 2012 at 5:47 pm0927123

How’d this pass under my radar…

• April 13, 2012 at 6:13 pmcancerlad

I loved Natsumi in the first show, and consequently hated Saki, but now I guess I can forgive her.

Is it wrong that this show makes me wish I was a high school girl? Just askin’.

• April 13, 2012 at 9:20 pmStilts

There’s nothing wrong about that. Nothing wrong at…wait, maybe not. I’m not sure your intentions towards other high school girls are entirely honorable =X

• April 13, 2012 at 9:29 pmcancerlad

Did your gravitar just become a high school girl? ;)

I don’t (pant) know what (pant) you’re (pant) talking… wait, no. That’s just wrong. On many levels.

• April 13, 2012 at 6:25 pmFree

Scissoring right of the bat, intredasting…

• April 13, 2012 at 7:14 pmZero

Well nice meeting you guys but im out.

• April 13, 2012 at 7:19 pmXin

Aside from the chase scene being extremely dragged out as you mentioned, was a pretty enjoyable episode. I’m a big Ayahi Takagaki fan, so I’m glad that the bitchy/angsty side of Saki wasn’t dragged out and we got to see the better sides of both her and Natsumi this week.

While all the lightheartedness serves as a good intro, I’m hoping they explore some of the deeper consequences being able to makes these wishes may have. One of the logical next ones to be made now that the fighting is over is for Saki not to move away, and it would be interesting to see the affects of wishes that in the long run involve more than just the four friends.

• April 13, 2012 at 7:19 pmLoL

Pictures from 13 to 16 need a brazzers logo. Epic win.

• April 13, 2012 at 8:11 pmricz

I want a two big rock

• April 13, 2012 at 8:43 pmkoizumi

That scene in the bedroom turned me on.

Otherwise after a dull premiere for me, this episode had enough comedy and drama to keep watching for now. Now bring in the other two and lets have a yuri foursome

• April 13, 2012 at 8:50 pmKurisu Vi Britannia

KISS KISS GODDAMIT KISS! XD

• April 13, 2012 at 9:33 pmWanderer

You people and your yuri obsessions. They weren’t doing it on purpose, nor did they show any of the obvious signs of romantic attraction to each other. Call me back when those things change and I’ll grant you your yuri, but until then I’m afraid I’ll have to confiscate all sets of yuri goggles in regards to this series. You folks clearly can’t be trusted with them. :p

That aside, this episode was quite enjoyable, aside from some annoying parts where they insisted on having, stupid, ugly, male characters on the screen. I’m here to watch a show about girls! I don’t guys wasting perfectly good screentime that the girls could be putting to better use! :p But other than that, this was a good episode.

I doubt this will get into “Burn the witch!” territory, so I wonder where they’re planning on going with all this.

And Saki totally needs to convince her parents to not move.

• April 13, 2012 at 10:32 pmStilts

Buuu! Shouta don’t count as guys because they’re not viable love interested (except for Negi, but he’s the exception). I would know. I used to be a shouta myself.

Also, the fun of the yuri is the subtext! It wouldn’t be as much fun if they were open about it.

(That’s the lie, it would be awesome. Just a different type of fun is all)

• April 13, 2012 at 10:40 pmcancerlad

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! You just did not join the largest harem in existence! I didn’t have you pegged (tee-hee) as a conformist.

My heart is still in tatters over the ending. Poor Akamatsu. Selling his soul like that.

• April 13, 2012 at 11:38 pmJohn Hayabusa

Apparently, you have never heard of things like subtexts, implications, and undertones before. Get yourself some yuri goggles, okay? :P

• April 14, 2012 at 1:00 amFencedude

Also, the setup (two people with unresolved feelings for each other get attached at the hip due to ) is bog-standard in romcom type shows. If Natsumi were a boy, no one would at all doubt what was going on.

• April 13, 2012 at 9:39 pmsato

It takes a group of 4 to make the wishes, right? If the younger brother’s group adds a 4th, they might be able to make wishes too…

• April 13, 2012 at 10:10 pmD-LaN

This is going to be yurilicious. *Puts shipping goggles on*

Hopefully this is not another “Madoka”…..

• April 16, 2012 at 1:06 pmCyberscythe

I would totally watch the hell out of this series if it turned into another Madoka.

• April 13, 2012 at 10:55 pmKinny Riddle

Ah Yuri undertones = FTW, especially when Natsumi only had her bust-up bra (considering she’s only 13) on. lol

Yuka is gorgeous with her ponytail on in the ED, she should put it on more often.

Next week: Mahou Shoujo Saki, which somehow involves Natsumi’s brother’s friend, who has seemingly fallen for either her or Saki.

• April 14, 2012 at 2:59 amSparvid

Glad I’m not the only one who noticed that ponytail.

• April 14, 2012 at 6:58 amcancerlad

Hmm. Its not like me to miss a ponytail… Are my fetishes shifting? #LifesLittleMysteries

• April 13, 2012 at 11:08 pmbelatkuro

What a strong yuri field. It’s pulling me over. Help!

Enjoyable at least. But those arms and legs are too flimsy…

• April 13, 2012 at 11:37 pmcancerlad

The big rock needs its own Twitter hash-tag! #BigRock? I’d say it needs its own account, but then, rocks don’t have thumbs so it won’t be using its cell-phone to post.

• April 14, 2012 at 12:08 amDa5id

Just ONE MORE SEASON of Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex #WhenYouWishUponARock

• April 14, 2012 at 4:03 amTorrigan

Heres hoping that this show pulls a move like yuru yuri and indulges its fanbase at some point but until then

LET THE DOUJINS COMMENCE

• April 14, 2012 at 4:28 amAnimesetsuna

This series has turn out to be “Sphere” story. When I watched this episode, I simply think that this series is all about “Sphere” themselves.

• April 14, 2012 at 4:46 amHH

I though that it is normal interaction among girls…because they usually share everything with their best. friends. including their physical…

• April 14, 2012 at 6:50 amThe Moondoggie

I see you got your goggles fixed Stilts.

• April 14, 2012 at 7:06 amJohn Hayabusa

Mine got busted almost immediately when Natsumi and Saki did a near-perfect tribadism.

• April 14, 2012 at 7:16 amThe Moondoggie

I’m starting to feel that we actually don’t need the goggles….

• April 14, 2012 at 10:55 amAshen

Unless the next episode really knocks my socks off, this series is dead to me. The first episode had enough potential and charm that I let a few personal gripes slide, but despite the message and a few chuckles, this time around it felt so mind-numbingly, painfully BORING.

• April 14, 2012 at 3:26 pmJohn Hayabusa

Not enough yuri for you, I guess.

• April 14, 2012 at 1:29 pmdustshadow

The chase scene WAS too long. Although that was probably to let the background designer show off.
    As for the yuri, you saw that coming the moment Natsumi showed off her bra.

• April 14, 2012 at 5:43 pmVince

I don’t know what show this anime reminded me of but I remember now. To aru railgun also had that same yuri undertone, 4 girls doing cute things and magic. Let’s see how this goes.

• April 14, 2012 at 7:17 pmjreding

This was one of my favourites for this season from the start and I’m most happy that they introduced some yuri already in the second episode! I might be wrong, but to me the number of shows with yuri elements seems to be increasing – I think not only of this one and Saki II (the series) but Mouretsu seems to move into that direction, too, not to mention Last Exile II. I wouldn’t mind a show where the romance is the main focus, though. The last one I saw, I think, has been Sasameki Koto.

• April 14, 2012 at 7:43 pmGilyu

You say that Yuka’s wished being not as “heartfelt” might be the cause of them not being granted… But I stand by the “they need to be all four of them wishing” since, in a way, Natsumi and Saki also wished to make up, they just weren’t at the rock.

• April 14, 2012 at 9:39 pmfoshizzel

Yuriiiii! The first ten mins were great <3

Yuka is definitely my favorite character of this series.

Also damn that was the longest running scenes of all time right up there with Nichijou's Mio panic scene…yes…chan-mio for the win! So now that the drama is over can we finally focus on the fun part of the girls trying to become idols? Sadly I don't think the drama is over for good it will probably return in the middle of the series.

• April 15, 2012 at 10:01 amiron2000

I agree too that the chase scene is a bit too long.
    Perhaps the writer have nothing else to do with perhaps the ‘wish of the week’?

So this week more second tier characters are introduced, Daiki’s friends and Saki’s father.

Fantasy X Slice-of-life, has it been the staple of every season?
    Not that I’m complaining as they have been interesting so far.
    Spirits, aliens and now a rock :P
    Wonder whats next.

The last anime I consider pure slice-of-life that i seen is Hanasaku Iroha.
    I guess this season is Sakamichi no Apollon.

• April 16, 2012 at 5:51 pmmac65

I thought I would be bored silly with this series, but the girls are doing right by me.

Some of the other series that I though would be great are, already, starting to show signs
    of ho-humness. Except, Mysterious Girlfriend X – you have to be dead not to like that one!

• April 17, 2012 at 11:08 amZaku Fan

Finally saw this episode and the 2 girls stuck together was both sweet and funny while the other 2 girls running away because they realised they were the cause for them getting stuck was even more amusing.