Monogatari Second Season – 21 »« Monogatari Second Season – 19

Monogatari Second Season – 20

Monogatari Second Season   20   01 Monogatari Second Season   20   02 Monogatari Second Season   20   03
Monogatari Second Season   20   04 Monogatari Second Season   20   05 Monogatari Second Season   20   06
Monogatari Second Season   20   07 Monogatari Second Season   20   08 Monogatari Second Season   20   09
Monogatari Second Season   20   10 Monogatari Second Season   20   11 Monogatari Second Season   20   12
Monogatari Second Season   20   13 Monogatari Second Season   20   14 Monogatari Second Season   20   15
Monogatari Second Season   20   16 Monogatari Second Season   20   17 Monogatari Second Season   20   18
Monogatari Second Season   20   19 Monogatari Second Season   20   20 Monogatari Second Season   20   21
Monogatari Second Season   20   22 Monogatari Second Season   20   23 Monogatari Second Season   20   24
Monogatari Second Season   20   25 Monogatari Second Season   20   26 Monogatari Second Season   20   27
Monogatari Second Season   20   28 Monogatari Second Season   20   29 Monogatari Second Season   20   30
Monogatari Second Season   20   31 Monogatari Second Season   20   32 Monogatari Second Season   20   33
Monogatari Second Season   20   34 Monogatari Second Season   20   35 Monogatari Second Season   20   36
Monogatari Second Season   20   37 Monogatari Second Season   20   38 Monogatari Second Season   20   39

「しのぶタイム其ノ肆」 (Shinobu Taimu So no Shi)
“Shinobu Time Part Four”

Please excuse me while I wipe the tears off of my face. Not only was I already stressed when this episode started because I thought Shionbu might be facing certain death, but to watch one of my favorite characters get completely written off in a single episode just made me lose it. But before I even start this post, to all the haters out there who can’t fathom a high school student and a elementary student making out, can we all agree that it was an amazingly cute gesture to really sum up all of Hachikuji’s feelings for Araragi? Thank you to everyone in the comments for being awesome and agreeing with me <3. Opinions aside, I don’t think anyone can disagree that it out of everyone, Mayoi has probably left with the biggest bang thus far.

But even with that super cute ending move taking up most of my imagination, it still can’t quell the amount of disgust/anger I have toward Gaen. I couldn’t care less about her clairvoyance and I don’t think a power like that empowers someone to be so damn snarky. Not only was every other sentence that came out of her mouth disgustingly condescending but to wait until the very end of her explanation to say that it was Hachikuji and not Shinobu who was in danger in order to get Araragi to play along with her plan made me want to spite her very existence. Actually, I don’t think spite is a strong enough word to describe how disgusting her actions were — feel free to leave your suggestions in the comments.

That said, I will give some credit where credit is due. And by that I mean giving Gaen a smidge of it when she actually gave us some facts behind the black blob of death’s purpose. Because while a broken blob that can do whatever it wants sounds a tad overpowered, it makes a lot more sense that it’s some sort of higher-existence whose sole job is to rid the world of broken aberrations. I mean, aberrations already operate beyond logic and reason so it makes sense that the systems in place to control them have to be whatever is beyond that!

Unfortunately, this is the part of the post where I’ll probably start to fall apart again. But before that happens let’s try to type this all out! Out of all the episodes so far, I don’t think there’s been one that’s got me as emotionally riled up as this week’s. Listening to how Hachikuji has been doing the complete opposite of what’s she’s supposed to be doing — guiding others instead of leading them astray — really swayed my feelings. Add in how she tried to push Araragi away because she sincerely cared about his well-being and knew that he wouldn’t let go without a fight and I couldn’t help but start to shed a few years. And just when I thought I’d able to hold it all in, Hachikuji just had to lose her composure which was just enough to get the waterworks flowing.

All-in-all, as much as I hate to admit that Hachikuji won’t be showing up anymore, I have to commend SHAFT for doing such a great job with this episode and the arc as a whole. Not only did they give both Shinobu and Hachikuji some amazing episodes but if I were to pick between the two, Hachikuji would win in a heartbeat. From the fanservice to the way they subtly added in one of Hachikuji and Araragi’s famous gag lines only to surprise us with a kiss are all little things that just made everything that much better. While I have no idea what’s in store for us in the coming weeks, I know for sure that a little something will definitely be missing without our favorite little snail.

P.S. Fuck Ougi.

Full-length images: 8

End Card

Monogatari Second Season   20   End Card
November 16, 2013 at 10:40 pm
  • November 16, 2013 at 11:13 pmEuzio

Nooooo!!! Hachikuji!!!! :( :( :(

The interactions between Hachikuji and Koyomi are one of the main highlights in this series for me….. she can’t be gone for good! :(

• November 17, 2013 at 11:29 amjustin

Goodbye my love.

• November 18, 2013 at 6:37 pmretsurai

im also kinda disappointed with Araragi. He kept everything to himself, he should get it off his chest and share with Senjougahara.

• November 20, 2013 at 2:03 pmjav

tsundere idiot never mattered anyways

• November 21, 2013 at 7:46 pmDoubt

Watched the episode.
      Lay down.
      Tried not to cry.
      Cried a lot…..

• November 22, 2013 at 9:32 pmKarmafan

My favorite character in the series is gone, not sure if I should be sad, pissed, or both?

• November 16, 2013 at 11:14 pmRay

I don’t think the position in the full length image is really possible…

• November 21, 2013 at 2:16 pmLord of Fire

It’s definitely possible; I can do it, but it’s not very comfortable.

• November 16, 2013 at 11:17 pmqwert

Episode 20? What episode 20?

Episode 20 does not exist. Araragi lives happily ever after with Hachikuji.

End of story.

• November 16, 2013 at 11:22 pmKurisu Vi Britannia

…. I REFUSE THIS REALITY.

• November 18, 2013 at 9:25 amFreddeh

AND INSERT MY OWN!

• November 18, 2013 at 9:43 amKyosuke

I’ll destroy that screwed up illusion of yours! – Kamijou Touma

• November 16, 2013 at 11:28 pmEmD

There are no words to express my sadness and rage.

And even if I tried, I’d probably bite my tongue =[

• November 16, 2013 at 11:31 pmStiltzkin

Noooooo Hachikuji … just when I was getting attached to her. Too many feels.

It’s touching how Ononoki helped out in whatever way she could.

• November 16, 2013 at 11:32 pmflap

(╥_╥)

• November 16, 2013 at 11:38 pmMartianMage

Somehow I just can’t believe that Mayoi is gone for good. She’s easily one of my favorite characters here and her banter with Araragi is always the best parts. Q.Q

• November 16, 2013 at 11:41 pmzakuII

Hachikuji is my favorite among Koyomi’s “harem” because she was the most “normal” (personality-wise) despite being the most “tragic” character. Also, I applaud the creators of this episode for not including any fanservice.

• November 16, 2013 at 11:50 pmBeedle

I bit your tongue.

The feels. Goddamn feels. I’m pretty sure Hachikuji will still show up – Monogatari’s timeline jumps around a lot – but damn, this episode was as uplifting as it was crushing

Though Ononoki wasn’t exactly the star of this arc, I loved her parts – especially when she wordlessly assists Mayoi in delivering her farewell.

…Goddamn feels.

Who the heck is Ougi? Last Boss? I thought that was Nadeko. Where in hell did she come from? D:

• November 16, 2013 at 11:51 pmlivid

It’s interesting how in Hachikuji’s arc, Shinobu steals the show, while in this arc (technically Shinobu’s arc) Hachikuji steals the show. Sayonara, Hachikuji Mayoi, my manly tears are for you.

• November 17, 2013 at 12:05 amElZenom

RIDE THE FEELCOASTER WITH ME!

• November 17, 2013 at 9:31 amBear

OMG, that title. Could Nisio have been plotting this all along?

• November 17, 2013 at 12:03 pmMegas

Plz don’t mention Nisio right now. You know the man can’t leave well enough alone, even though THIS isn’t well at all.

• November 17, 2013 at 12:07 amHawk2276

WHY

• November 17, 2013 at 12:09 amElZenom

That aside, we must not forget that Ararararagi scored 3 kisses from 3 lolis this arc.

• November 17, 2013 at 12:10 amtom

Man when Gaen was like “WAKE THE FUCK UP AND STOP YOUR FAKE SLEEPING Hachikuji”, that scared the fuck out of me, I mean she felt extremely mad, did not expect that from her. Dont wana mess with that bitch or you gona die lol

• November 17, 2013 at 12:41 amCybersteel

hnnngggh

• November 17, 2013 at 1:09 amAngelus

A high school student and an elementary student making out? Mayoi is much older than Arararagi.

• November 17, 2013 at 1:15 amGeoff

Agreed, She did spend 11 years without having any of it affect her physical shape.

• November 17, 2013 at 1:27 amTakaii

She still has her tiny little body, so I’m sure there’s someone who could argue for it.

I just wanted to make my point very clear — THE KISS WAS HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG inducing.

• November 18, 2013 at 9:41 amTechim

Takaii, lemme do you a favor.
        Clean versions of all 20 episode endcards so far are on the official website :)

• November 18, 2013 at 12:18 pmTakaii

Wow. I don’t even. Wat.

Thanks!

• November 20, 2013 at 1:46 amTechim

Wait. Not 20, there’s no ED cards for the recaps. So that makes 17 so far.
        And they only get uploaded to site 1 or 2 days after airing date.

Btw, their twitter site pretty much confirms there’ll be no recap this week as Ep21.
        Straight dive into Koimonogatari :)

• November 17, 2013 at 12:05 pmMegas

When it comes to rules of engagement, age & experience is the same thing.

• November 17, 2013 at 1:10 amJank Hambrams

Man, this episode gave me more chills than the last episode of Nadeko’s arc (although her story overall was still really damn chilling). Show Spoiler ▼

I am very curious as to what’s going to come next.

By the way, is the end of season 2 the ending of the anime altogether? I’m really, really hoping it isn’t.

• November 17, 2013 at 1:30 amSenjougahara Hitagi

Well, Monogatari Series has its legacy standing in front of us, and I personally think they’ll continue the anime until the source material runs out. We’ll eventually find out though until Kizu and Hanamonogatari comes out.

Dem feelz for this ep.

• November 17, 2013 at 5:04 amExukvera

With all those DVD’s/BD’s selling like hotcakes? I don’t think so. Surely that’s why we won’t see much from SHAFT that is not Monogatari or Madoka for a while.
      Curiously while Mayoi’s arc was more focused on Shinobu and barely had Mayoi, the opposite happened in Shinobu’s arc.

• November 17, 2013 at 5:56 amTechim

That’s Nisio trolling for you, though of course he didn’t forget to compensate for that.
        Koimonogatari, the next arc after this that’s coming would be the bigger troll I guess.
        Name of the story arc there being Show Spoiler ▼

Always been looking forward to Koimonogatari out of all the arcs,
        but really, the broadcast order of Neko(Shiro)-Kabuki-Otori-Oni,
        with each arc being better than before, really hypes Koi up for me :)

• November 17, 2013 at 1:24 amSenjougahara Hitagi

First, giving me a lifelong dream of having a mature version of Mayoi but only for some little time, and now, you completely take Mayoi away from me? Hell no.. Time to do a World Line jump. I-am-world-jumping, sonuvabetch!

• November 17, 2013 at 1:28 amTakaii

EL – PSY – CONGROO

• November 18, 2013 at 7:50 amFlareKnight

*Salute* Best of luck to you.

• November 17, 2013 at 1:30 amechykr

Hachikuji, nooo! ToT

Her rapport with Araragi was one of the highlights of the whole series, rivalling even that of him and Senjougahara at times.

Araragi has three kisses from three lolis (whose actual ages are much older than him) in one arc, with Hachikuji being the most bittersweet, referencing to her usual “biting her tongue” remark everytime she purposely mispronounces Araragi’s name, “biting” his lips instead.

We’re still nowhere to learning the rest of the timeline gap that took place between Hachikuji’s departure and the end of Nekomonogatari. What is this “task” that Gaen asks of Araragi? Why is Kanbaru’s monkey arm needed? And how does this lead to them acquiring the snake talisman which Nadeko would later use to make her ascension into a Snake God?

• November 17, 2013 at 1:34 amLone Wanderer

Sayonara, Hachikuji Mayoi;
    sayonara, our ever-loli favourite loli, which not even out imoutos/musumes could ever replace*;
    we’re very glad & happy to know you, hontouni;
    arigatou…

In memory of Hachikuji Mayoi:

*(unless you convert your little sisters/daughters/granddaughters to a cyborg, they grow up to become an annoying and rebellious teenagers, unlike Mayoi).

• November 17, 2013 at 7:30 pmLone Wanderer

When Hachikuji was moving sluggishly & her backpack looks like it’s too heavy for her, I was thinking she’s already going to disappear; but it turns out it’s because she was being carried by Ononoki…

But now we will never know what’s the contents of Hachikuji’s backpack anymore…

*typo in first post: out=our

• November 17, 2013 at 1:58 amhimselfv

BOOKS SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

> All-in-all, as much as I hate to admit that Hachikuji won’t be showing up anymore

Ha-ha.

END SPOILER END SPOILER END SPOILER

• November 17, 2013 at 2:06 amricz

You don’t know how to read mwuhahaha lol

• November 17, 2013 at 2:08 amTechim

All those feels…

Okay, so by the end of this arc alone, we pretty much have the connections to Neko-Shiro (Tsubasa Tiger) hinted at; eg Araragi sending a text message to the girls, and Araragi needing Kanbaru’s help with a job.

What I’m wondering now though, is would the Kanbaru + Araragi job be elaborated / animated sometime later? (Eg in Hana-, or Koyomimonogatari?)
    Or only as a mention in this episode?

• November 17, 2013 at 5:01 amKinza Datteri

Yes, it will get animated in 2014. I think they will manage to complete adapting every single story by the end of the next year.

• November 17, 2013 at 5:50 amthedarktower

Hanamono will be animated in 2014, that was announced.
        the rest?I wish I could be optimist. Kizu is still in unknown status for a long time (THO there was a false alarm for it to be this fall. but – false alarm).
        at least shaft announced they’ll adapt all monogatari series at some point.
        besides the regulars we still left (Kizu – unknown, Koimono – final arc of this season, Hanamono-2014), there is still season #3 which is still being written those days by NisiOisiN: Tsukimonogatari, Koyomimonogatari (volume 1 out of 2 was released last month) and we still have at least 2 books: Koyomimonogatari vol2 and Zokuowarimonogatari.
        so considering the fact it’s not over yet…maybe the LN-series will end in 2014..I still don’t think shaft will make a move for season 3 that quickly before they can really “see the ending” :P

• November 17, 2013 at 8:50 pmSteelman

Kanbaru is indeed the protagonist of Hanamonogatari, but the novel does not deal with Gaen’s job.

Honestly, I can’t say I am too happy with the completely out-of-order presentation of the story at this point, especially considering that both Nisio and Shaft (Kizu?) are at fault here…

• November 17, 2013 at 2:11 amTarage

Welcome to Nishio Ishin Railways. You like this heroin? She’s dead now. And this train has no breaks.

• November 21, 2013 at 5:54 pmclaywing

The typos make this even better.

• November 17, 2013 at 3:45 amInanis

ok.. now im a sad panda.. x.x

actually seeing it impacted me more than reading it.. dint think it would x.x

• November 17, 2013 at 4:03 amRyuuzaki

sad day to us lolicons T.T

• November 17, 2013 at 4:18 amFaint Smile

I won’t say goodbye but instead, until we meet again Hachikuji!..

• November 17, 2013 at 8:44 amMrGMartins

• November 17, 2013 at 4:25 amGinobi47

God freaking damn it! One of my most favorite loli, GONE! Damn this episode freaking hurts! Hachikuji, you will always be in our lolicon hearts! Farewell!

• November 17, 2013 at 5:11 amDvalinn

Damn, this episode gutpunched me far more than I expected. It’s been a while since I’ve felt like crap so much after watching an anime. I mean, I figured something like this may be coming, so it’s not like it caught me by surprise…but still, damn. Mayoi was one of my favourite characters, if not my favourite, the smart-ass yet tragic ghost-loli who was always ready to either pull a comedy act with Araragi or give him advice. And now she’s gone.

There were a lot of things that strengthened that scene for me. Araragi’s helplessness being one of them – this is a man who’d throw his life away to wander with her forever, if need be, even if he had to abandon everyone else for it. And he’d probably gladly give his life fighting the abomination as well…but he can’t fight it. It’s practically some kind of eldritch horror, here to correct what’s wrong, and he can’t punch his way out of that one. He has no way but to accept it, because Mayoi understandably never wants to return to what she originally was. Then there was Mayoi breaking down when she asked him to pull out a cliché line said when ghosts pass on (with him refusing), and finally, that kiss and confession. Goddamn. And Araragi was so shocked he couldn’t even say his final words to her himself…

And yeah, Gaen is kind of a bitch. But to me, it seems like she doesn’t care about anything in the first place. After all, ever her niece is just a tool to her. She made clear she didn’t even want to do an introduction out of courtesy, even though Kanbaru doesn’t exactly have much family walking around. And fuck Ougi indeed. What the hell is she, anyway? Guess we’re about to find out. Wonder if it’s final boss time already.

• November 17, 2013 at 5:40 amthedarktower

that was damn good.
    the first half was quite a regular for monogatari, but it prepared the ground for its second half. full of emotions wrapping you up.

do you remember how this arc has even started?after Araragi and shinobu tried their hardest to return in time and prevent the accident, then fixing whatever mess they did..and now, eventually, Hachikuji ended being gone.
    since he met her, Araragi had a special click with Hachikuji, something he didn’t have with others. and that ep, simply wrapped up everything to him. it’s tearing. I’ll really miss those moments of Hachikuji and Ararararagi (opps bit my tongue :P)

some old cliche may rings a bell here – you can’t always get what you want. I am not sure it’s about it, but it’s true Araragi simply can’t save the day and everyone all the time. you win some, you lose some. we saw it as well in Nadeko’s case.

it seems we have a recap next week..right? to be honest, I don’t like those recaps, but this time…it’s necessary indeed to digest this episode and the fact Hachikuji is gone :(

• November 17, 2013 at 6:15 amPrimeHector

Best ghost ever. Foreshadowing?

• November 17, 2013 at 6:47 amyozora

Well now it’s time for Koi,the worst arc.. anticlimatic and full of sluts

• November 17, 2013 at 12:10 pmMegas

Koi actually has content, save the worst for the ignorance arcs later on that pretty much count as milking.

• November 17, 2013 at 3:40 pmyozora

have you read koi ? do you know why it’s called “Hitagi end -A story of love”? Because I don’t.

• November 17, 2013 at 7:48 amCrimson7

I remember back in the first episode of Otorimonogatari, when Ougi bumbed in to Nadeko, she said she was looking for Hachikuji. So there’s hope we’ll be seeing her again.

On a side note, we didn’t get any OP for this arc! I was hoping for a Maaya Sakamoto song!

• November 17, 2013 at 7:51 amTreyon

Maybe Hachikuji will come back not as a lost cow, but as a leading cow =P, it helps you find your way instead of making you lost!!

• November 17, 2013 at 8:05 amthedarktower

while I’d love to see Hachikuji, sometimes..one must let go.
      I think that was one of the purposes of this ep, even in the ending. Araragi didn’t want to do it, but it was inevitable. moreover, I think Hachikuji was the one who ended up being lost in this world (mostly when Araragi wasn’t around), reluctant to fulfil her duty as lost-cow, was kinda affecting her. she didn’t want people to get lost, that made her realize her KI is meaningless in this world, like she isn’t belong there anymore.
      poor Hachikuji :(

• November 17, 2013 at 9:07 amc2710

Man… Never knew how much I liked Mayoi until today….

It’s really hard to see her go. Right now I’m in dire need of something to perk myself up

• November 17, 2013 at 9:46 amBear

I cut Araaragi some slack about his willingness to be “lost” with Mayoi without regard for the others. He was frantic, heartbroken, desperate and not thinking clearly. It was purely an emotional response. I empathize with him.

And that was not a chaste kiss from Mayoi! But then she’s actually older than Araragi. Ononoki helping out was hilarious.

One of the most emotional goodbyes I’ve watched in anime. Still gets to me each time I think about it.

• November 17, 2013 at 3:10 pmdaikama

Nice catch on your spoiler! Forgot about that.

• November 17, 2013 at 10:32 ambanzemanga

Technically speaking, Hajikuchi is older than our protagonist. So, that is not really a elementary school kid with a high school thing.

• November 17, 2013 at 10:40 amNitro

i knew this was coming sooner or later. mayoi couldn’t have lasted that long, she was meant to pass on in her first arc. this episode gave her the proper closure she deserved, and it couldn’t have been done any better.

but…

;_;

*retreats into my dungeon of dream doujins*

• November 18, 2013 at 2:55 amReagal

There’s actually a doujin made by utatane hiroyuki that references the ending of this episode.

• November 17, 2013 at 1:05 pmdaikama

Wow… Just an amazing episode. It’s still a bit hard to believe that Mayoi’s gone. As sad as it may be and I’d prefer not to have a repeat incident (unless it’s Gaen or Ougi), it’s this type of complex, unpredictable, and genuinely emotional story telling that makes this show – this series so great IMO. There have been a number of excellent shows this year, but after watching this episode it will be hard for me not to vote for Monogatari Series Second Season as AOTY.

Shaft continues to do an outstanding job with production. One thing I thought was particularly good was the way Mayoi at first tried to look on the bright side – noting how she got more time than she should have (e.g. “extra innings”, etc.). She was resigned to her fate, almost matter of fact about it, but when Araragi kept desperately trying to find a way to fix things, you could hear the emotion creep more and more back into her voice until she finally broke down in tears. For me, that approach made the scene more emotionally compelling than had she simply been crying all the way through. Excellent job by her seiyuu IMO.

As for Araragi, while I can understand his despair over the situation, I find it a little hard to give him a full pass on completely forgetting about everyone else when suggesting he becomes lost for years and years in order to save Mayoi. Kudos to her for making him realize the cost of that course of action. Mayoi definitely showed some maturity with that.

In the end, we get another silver lining type of ending. Before Araragi couldn’t save Mayoi from dying, but we discovered than in some alternate timeline, she did avoid the accident and grow into a fine young women. Not ideal given the destruction Shinobu/Kiss-shot caused, but better than nothing. Here Mayoi can’t be saved, but rather than be erased by the “darkness” she passes on onto the afterlife. Again, less than ideal, but I was glad to get at least that consolation prize rather than she disappear completely. It made losing Mayoi much more tolerable.

Glad to see I’m not the only one who was irritated by Gaen. What an arrogant b**ch. If that’s the way she is, Kanbaru is better off without her. She wants to meet her niece now? Where was she when Kanbaru really needed her help or even prevent Kanbaru from using the Rainy Day Devil hand from the start? After all, she does know everything. Bah. And yes Takaii – fuck Ougi. I trust her about as much as a wounded pit viper. Pure speculation on my part, but given the way Ougi described her “job”, it wouldn’t surprise me if she had some connection to this “darkness” since it has a very similar purpose. Meme, come back and straighten out your niece.

• November 17, 2013 at 2:57 pmBear

In thinking about that whole group from the university club, which one isn’t an SOB or a B? Kaiki? Kagenui? Even Oshino is something of a smartass. Gaen fits in rather well, IMO.

• November 17, 2013 at 3:49 pmdaikama

Meme’s the best of the bunch IMO. He might be a bit of a smartass, but he still helps people and, except for Araragi, doesn’t charge them more than they can afford. I really don’t have any issues with Meme other he tends to withhold too much information at times. Kagenui has her faults as well, BUT she’s not entirely unreasonable as we saw in Tsukihi Phoenix. Not saying she’s great by any means, but I definitely place her above Kaiki and Gaen.

• November 22, 2013 at 3:21 pmNekotail

Hachikuji is so lovable.. My favorite character.

As for the two bitches, Gaen and Ougi:go fuck themselves. (Especially fuck Gaen. Ougi? what is this? who cares?)
      honestly,.. felt like beating the shit out of Gaen and kick the scum into the water to shut its bullshit annoying garbage quibbling face and insubstantial far-fetched lengthy craps. Who cares what this scum says? What a heartless, rude, mean, contemptible, patronizing bi*ch: a worthless pile of sh*t. How dare she denigrates and scares Hachikuji so bad. sheer lack of integrity. despicable pathetic bitch. it is utterly unacceptable, unfair and unjust to condemn/judge and treat Hachikuji like the scum bitch did. No one is entitled to do such a hideous act. Who the f*ck does the bitch think she is. Go to hell. A good whack or other drastic measures should be applied to the Gaen bitch to knock some sense into it. The bitch should be punished.

Well done, Araragi for siding with Hachikuji. That’s the way to go, man.

• November 22, 2013 at 3:31 pmNekotail

“Glad to see I’m not the only one who was irritated by Gaen.” -> Same here, I am glad to see that too.

• November 17, 2013 at 1:10 pmmaxo

what do i do whit all these feels?

• November 17, 2013 at 2:29 pmTakaii

Transform them into tears and proceed to rub your eyes because you can’t see.

• November 17, 2013 at 3:46 pmZirthiel

And the award of wing-man of the year goes to Ononoki!

• November 17, 2013 at 5:13 pmkevinball

SOrry, I bit your tongue ;_;

• November 17, 2013 at 5:32 pmkratos

first time I’ve cried since “Angel beat!”

• November 17, 2013 at 10:30 pmredpikachu

okay, best character eliminated, time to drop the anime. NO more flying fucks shall be given.

• November 18, 2013 at 12:14 amneckzor

Hachikuji my love, *cries a fountain*

• November 18, 2013 at 7:09 amFlareKnight

I thought I couldn’t dislike Ougi any more after the previous Nadeko Arc, but now I’m just ready to punch her in the face. Pretty well blatantly saying she is either that darkness or perhaps the judge that sets it off. This character just showed up randomly and has been causing hell the whole time.

Still damn…I mean what the heck happened this week? Focused on Shinobu’s situation and get slapped in the face with Hachikuji vanishing. I mean sure I kind of had a feeling something might happen last season with a couple scenes we had with her. But damn…this was just out of nowhere.

This was a rough one.

• November 18, 2013 at 9:37 amKyosuke

Sup, this episode was so damn good I just had to leave a post! Great read and we seem to be thinking along the same lines. I actually think I teared up during this episode… AT WORK! Man I haven’t felt so emotional for anime since Clannad and that’s saying a lot! Thanks for blogging this one Takaii!

• November 18, 2013 at 11:55 amSeorori

I knew this was coming, but I can’t bear to watch it yet….

• November 18, 2013 at 3:53 pmall my tears

Mayoi chan~ You shall be missed. T.T

• November 18, 2013 at 7:31 pmsealouse

Why they put the ending theme where they did? I would have really liked to have seen Hachikuji pass on. Why was the nothingness devouring the townspeople 400 years ago if it’s only supposed to go after oddities?

If this was happening in August and 4 months later would be December then that conversation with Ougi occurred after Nadeko’s arc right?

• November 18, 2013 at 9:48 pmFlareKnight

Do have a theory about why the townspeople were involved. One idea is that the nothingness (feels like I’m talking about the Neverending story here) was removing all trace of Shinobu’s lie from the world. Eliminating everything that falsely considered her a god. Because even then she still persisted in her lie going around investigating with the First Oddity Hunter, she was then targeted.

Timeline wise I have no idea. I wouldn’t be surprised though. What happened to Nadeko would likely make Araragi seriously suspicious about Ougi and thus why he talked to her about what happened.

• November 19, 2013 at 5:39 amRed HeartGold ZX

If SHAFT’s Madoka Magica made an excellent ending, surely, this show will as well, and I bet so will all the other shows SHAFT’s gonna produce. (Nisekoi, watch for it~!)

• November 21, 2013 at 8:12 amvjott

SHAFT is only the studio animating the work. Madoka Magica and the Monogatari are two works created by different people.

• November 19, 2013 at 2:29 pmLeticia

I felt utterly shocked when I finished watching this episode, I just couldn’t believe what I had just seen, unbelievable! MY HACHIKUJI! GONE? FOREVER? Wow, it left me speechless, I didn’t see that coming and it made me feel really miserable =(

• November 20, 2013 at 2:56 ambriex

Mayoi’s goodbye scene surpassed Hanekawa’s confession scene for me.
    Although Hanekawa is my OTP, Mayoi is my favorite character due to her funny chemistry with Ararararagi. So I’m really depressed right now. I’m really glad that I refrain my self from reading the source material and any spoiler until now.

• November 23, 2013 at 1:37 pmMetroAndroid

I guess I’m the only one who likes Ougi xD
    I have a suspicion that she is much kinder/more important than she appears.
    Time to go to Baka-Tsuki and read through the timeline again and try to make sense of all these cross-story connections!

• November 23, 2013 at 1:58 pmMetroAndroid

Mayoi left on August 23.
    Nadeko talked to Ougi on October 31.
    Koyomi told Ougi the story in Late December.
    Either Ougi knows WAY more than she lets on or she literally didn’t know Hachikuji was gone. Though why she wanted to find Hachikuji raises questions as well.

• November 24, 2013 at 3:19 amRyner

Oh man, just sighs, Araragi’s harem has been reduced in half in this series alone. I’m afraid to see the next episodes and what their tragedy will show. Hanekawa Tsubasa is rejected, Sengoku Nadeko turns into a snake god/villain, and now Hachikuji Mayoi passed on. Seriously the only ones he has left is Shinobu, Senjougahara, and Kanbaru (I think? Not clear about their relationship, whether its just best friends or could possibly be romantically or at least the same love as he shares with Hachikuji).