Durarara!!x2 Shou – 01 »« Durarara!! – 24 (END)

Durarara!! – 12.5, 25

「天網恢恢」 (Tenmou Kaikai)
“Heaven’s Vengeance”

At first, I couldn’t even remember how this show worked. After such a long break, I felt the memories of Celty being a transporter and Shizuo collecting debt money for Tom slowly started to rush back to me. For some reason, I can’t really think of too much to say about this one. Unlike episode 25, I didn’t get a lot of satisfaction from watching this special. Sure it was full of bad English and an interesting comparison between the story and aliens, but the main characters just didn’t have that special feel to them.

On the other hand, the story itself was quite fun in itself. The one thing that Durarara manages to pull off amazingly is how it can connect one main story while having everyone else’s side story play out. I remember when the episode started that I had no idea where things were going to go. With random scenes and characters from Baccano walking around, it felt like nothing made any sense. But once everyone’s take on the situation started to gain some momentum, I became fully engrossed. As the pieces of the episode started to fall into place, I remember literally falling off of my seat when the UFOs from the beginning were actually thugs flying after a punch from Shizuo.

All in all, I would say that episode 12.5 is worth watching. I know that it’s been out for a while now, so for those of you who didn’t watch it just yet, do it now! I also want to clearly state that while I haven’t watched Baccano yet, I’ve heard that those two mysterious characters are supposed to be really funny if I knew what they were supposed to represent. Kind of makes me want to go marathon Baccano now.

「天下泰平」 (Tenka Taihei)
“Peace and Tranquility”

Oh my god, Durarara. After being given the opportunity to watch Shizuo and Izaya’s love for each other grow, the only thing missing would be some younger sister yuri action. Oh wait!

After watching episode 12.5 a while back, I was pretty disappointed with what we were given. Sure, it was nice to watch the episode from a different perspective every few minutes, but what I really wanted was something that would be able to quench my Durarara thirst, which is exactly what episode 25 was. From here, I’m going to attack this post from two sides — the things that I thought was perfect for a series like Durarara and something that Divine pointed out to me.

For me, Izaya and Shizuo stole the show. Sure Celty had her moments, and I couldn’t stop laughing when Shinra tried breaking down Hanejima Yuuhei’s name to get Heiwajima Kasuka, and you can’t forget when Anri busted out Saika just as quickly as she hid it when all hell was about to break loose, but something about Izaya and Shizuo kept them on top. Watching Izaya play the same old tricks on Shizuo will never grow old and you can bet that I’ll never get sick of watching Shizuo throw anything from street signs, traffic lights, or vehicles at Izaya. The thing is, I’ve always wondered how the people of Ikebukuro never noticed Shizuo’s blatant destruction of just about anything around him when Izaya is around. I was surprised and had a pretty good laugh watching Yuuhei act as a commentator on live television as they filmed our “best friends” rampaging throughout the city.

Now what I didn’t expect nor even knew about, were Izaya’s twin sisters — Mairu (Kitamura Eri) and Kururi (Kanemoto Hisako). The first thing I noticed was that Kitamura and Ika Musume’s Kanemoto’s voice happened to be coming out of these new girls. The second thing I noticed was that these girls were probably not as innocent as they looked (they’re Izaya’s sisters!). The third and final thing was that I never expected to see two sisters kissing in my Durarara. While I don’t object to any of this, I just had to put in a small mention of it after Divine pointed it out to me.

Before Durarara ended, I remember reading that there is still a ton of more material to cover. After watching episode 25, I can safely say that my passion for Durarara came flooding back to me. Who else hopes that a second season will be announced?

March 8, 2011 at 6:00 am
  • March 8, 2011 at 6:10 amZweitrix

*raises hand* ME WANTS DURARARA TO CONTINUE WITH SEASON 2!! even if people say the characters are too normally dressed >3<

• March 8, 2011 at 6:11 amZweitrix

Mikado’s “Ikebukuro ni yokozo” at the end just released the flood of DRRR passion back into me XD

• March 8, 2011 at 7:47 amdustandechoes91

According to some intense wikipedia research, the new kid at the end wasn’t just a random character to show how Mikato has changed, but actually a new character that shows up at the start of the next book after the ones that are covered in the show.

This screams “We are already working on the next season”

• March 8, 2011 at 11:44 amJack Spicer

Yeah, I had pretty much the same reaction. I totally took episode 25 and the fact that it introduces 3 new characters as a basic announcement that the second season is coming.

• March 8, 2011 at 7:33 pmSissy

Personally, neither me nor my friends believe that last extra character is the person to be named in the continuing volumes where they fully introduce the twins. That character was already living in Ikebukuro, he didn’t come from the countryside. But should they ever decide to give us what we want (oh second season you would be full of win), you’ll understand what I mean then.

• March 8, 2011 at 6:15 amOrinX

Haha…I love the look Yuuhei gives the attacker.

• March 8, 2011 at 6:17 amsadakups

Second season, please.

• March 8, 2011 at 6:22 amShirt

Wait-whoa WHAT?? When did this come out? Must. Watch. >8[

• March 8, 2011 at 6:25 amKaizo

Second season, yes please!

With Show Spoiler ▼

• March 8, 2011 at 6:25 amZero

Two words necessary to describe my reaction to ep. 25-
    F*** and YEAH!

• March 8, 2011 at 10:47 pmTehJawknee

My thoughts exactly.

• March 8, 2011 at 6:27 amjrj

personally I like 12.5 a bit better than 25 because of the plot is more present in that one. I like the shifting perspectives.
    though 25 has more shinning moments, such as the rapid mode shift by Anri, Shizuo biting the knife and broke it, and some awesome, kicking ass twin sister moments (yes, action and kissing)… fearsome sisters… too bad Nisemonogatari and our fire sisters won’t make it on anime, so this will have to be the most epic twin sister scene for a while.
    +100 to a season 2 announcement!!

• March 8, 2011 at 6:33 amMarklar

Durarara doesnt need a second season it screams in pain how it needs a freaking second season, after i saw that kiss i jumped of my chair and started dancing. This show is just to interesting not to continue.

• March 8, 2011 at 6:55 amT.K.

How many roadsigns are there in Ikebukuro? I’m still surprised at how the city is able to stock up on all the roadsigns Shizuo plucks out on his daily rages.

Season is needed, the traffic police barely had any appearance despite having a character panel dedicated to him in the Opening and Closings.

• March 8, 2011 at 7:03 amMrTerrorist

Just so you know, Izaya’s twin sisters are bisexual but they prefer girls.

• March 8, 2011 at 9:57 amFlappy

erm is that considered a spoiler or a joke….

• March 9, 2011 at 8:11 pmamado

not really much of a spoiler since one of them exclaims clearly in her first introduction.

and yeah, finally some yuri and twincest this season.

• March 8, 2011 at 7:43 amHenDarou

I really hope for a second season. This episode just made me salivate for more Durarara!!.

• March 8, 2011 at 7:45 amxcswmboy

Izaya must have ninja blood or something with the acrobatics and knife throwing. That or he trained at a circus. That family must have had some history.

Also, Erika had some spot on commentary of IzayaxShizu BL-ness.

• March 8, 2011 at 7:55 amkeiOnDaisuki

fakken hell! there’s yuri action! i didn’t see that coming!!

• March 8, 2011 at 8:15 amprejsu

I feel ya. Second season please!!

• March 8, 2011 at 9:35 amFlameStrike

Hell yeah! Durararara!!

• March 8, 2011 at 9:37 ambanzemanga

I forgot their names but the couples from Bacano!! are epic like usual. Got to love them. ^.^

• March 8, 2011 at 9:42 amLuxorcist

Gaaah I was hoping for another Isaac and Miria cameo :(

• March 8, 2011 at 9:43 amLuxorcist

Whoops i meant :)

• March 8, 2011 at 9:43 amGimpyhair

*hands up for 2nd season* There’s 9 light volumes, surely they can make a second season with that much material!

I liked more 12.5 than 25. In fact, I dislike 25 probably because I felt that it was more for shizaya fans than anything else, and I dislike this couple simply because they are EVERYWHERE, which irritates me (Sorry for my mini-rant). 25 also had moments of art fail http://randomc.net/image/Durarara!!/Durarara!!%20-%2025%20-%20Large%2004.jpg What is wrong with Kadota’s face?? Stuff I liked: Shinra’s monologue, Kida, Namie’s glass of water, Shizuo and twins’ scene and MikadoxAnri being incredibly cute. I wish there were van-gang action, but at least there were some Celty action.

• March 8, 2011 at 9:44 amTorint

I loved Erika’s yaoi overload. When you get so intense about your yaoi that you need to be physically restrained, then you know you have a problem.

• March 8, 2011 at 9:56 amFlappy

Second Season FTW!!! God I missed DRRRRRRR!!! I cant believe that I almost forgot that it had an amazing OP theme… *Goes to loop “Complication”*

I wonder how much of a change DRRRR will be if Izaya’s sister was there from the beginning… It would have made quite an impression. Hell, anything related to Izaya is AWESOME!

• March 8, 2011 at 10:05 amunknown2

You have to marathon Baccano now! Dont be fooled by the 1st ep of Baccano like I was.

I spoiled myself reading about a blog about this episode lst year but it was still fun watching and I suddenly missed Durarara. I thought Shizuo outshined Izaya on ths ep. :)

2nd season indeed! Although Celty really looses her spot on being the main character of the next arcs. And I want Baccano 2nd season too. Need to see some Graham Spector action.

• March 8, 2011 at 10:12 amDer Fur Shur

Bisexual twin sisters FTW! But seriously when Izaya is your older brother having incestuous lesbian feelings for your twin sister seems to be the only natural result.

• March 8, 2011 at 10:20 amYukiruchan

I absolutely loved ep.25! Shizuchan and Izaya were awesome as usual and their fight brought back the love!
    It was good to see the twins, Ruri and Kasuka. (This is so obviously a pre-episode for season 2)
    DRRR!!x2 is sure to be coming some time. Can’t wait for the announcement!

• March 8, 2011 at 10:31 amdrzero7

The whole Izaya x Shizuo fight was there purely for BL fangirl fanservice. (We even have a Fujioka commentator for it.)

• March 8, 2011 at 11:18 amBio D

I’d rather have a second season of Baccano!, but I am certainly not adverse to a second season of DRRR!!
    As for the episode, Shizuo is my favorite character and I was laughing throughout his fight scene with I-ZAY-YA. I only paused to gape in awe when he caught the knife with his teeth and broke it.
    Watching Ryugamine desperately trying to explain his relationship with Anri was cringe- and chuckle-worthy.
    Yuuhei is a little creepy since he seems to have no emotions, yet is still a scary good actor. Doesn’t make his show any less hilarious.

• March 8, 2011 at 11:42 amShadoWanderer

Celty and her reactions to the fake ufo is hilarious!

Hopefully, we’ll see a 2nd season soon. the 4th,5th,6th vol of the light novels are just or more crazy!! I can’t imagine how they are going to fit all the characters name cards in the opening animation, each vol brings more characters

• March 8, 2011 at 12:55 pmAthos

I particularly enjoyed Karisawa’s seme-uke dance

• March 8, 2011 at 1:58 pmAshen

This just fills me to bursting with so much happiness and hope.

“Who else hopes that a second season will be announced?” you ask? Me, for one. Like nobody’s business do I want another season of this insane, over-the-top, engaging and side-splittingly hilarious anime.

I’ve heard only good things about what happens next in terms of the novels’ chronology, so I am DYING to experience it animated.

• March 8, 2011 at 3:08 pmYoruhime

Definitely second season, yeah! *__*♥

• March 8, 2011 at 9:37 pmFaye

Just wanted to say – go marathon Baccano, dub or sub! You won’t regret it :D

• March 8, 2011 at 9:48 pmccROAWR

Definitely asking for a DRRR second season! BRING IT ON!

• March 8, 2011 at 10:38 pmanishuma

Yeah, totally watch Baccano!, after Durarara!! finished I did a marathon on every Baccano! episode and my mind got broken.It can never recover again.I haven’t seen episode 12.5 yet, but man episode 25…”we have a guy defying gravity!” One of my favorite moments of this episode was when the random fight broke out and that guy punched whose sister loves him punched one of those yellow scarves, it was hilarious.

• March 8, 2011 at 11:02 pmdman

Loved the Baccano! cameos on both episodes. Reminded me how much more awesome that anime is compared to Durarara!! and how much I want a second season of it.

• March 8, 2011 at 11:24 pmcshin9

It’s Isaac and Miria!

• March 9, 2011 at 5:35 am✙Croosboy✙

Damn episode 25 sure was good

• March 9, 2011 at 8:56 amU Doh

Natsume 3rd season is going to be aired some time this year. Since the production team of both shows is exactly the same, I’m afraid to say even if Durarara does have the 2nd season, it could very well be the next year at earliest.

• March 9, 2011 at 3:30 pmAcerbus

Pleasepleaseplease second season <3

If I get second season, I'll squee. If I get second season AND Vorona I'll start dancing.

• March 9, 2011 at 6:47 pmsassumo

nice … but the 25nd episode is so late …=.=

• March 10, 2011 at 1:34 amFidelDesu

haha im also shocked too see those two suddenly kissing lol

• March 10, 2011 at 7:50 amAkira

I’m praying for a 2nd season from the very moment the first one ended T__T

• March 10, 2011 at 4:02 pmthenewhorde

Miri and Isaac, lol… still walking around in modern Durarara!! era. how would r those two at this point? 300 years old now?

i’m surprised they still haven’t figured out they’re immortals.

• March 12, 2011 at 10:11 amChikage

dude baccano happened in the 1930′s and durarara is almost like in 2010 do the math!!!

• March 28, 2011 at 4:30 pmdrrr_FAN

dude in the world of drrr baccano is just a movie and it was taped in modern time . so that explains why they are there.

• March 10, 2011 at 10:51 pmrainstrife

If there is a ton of material to cover, than of course a second season of Durarara!! would inevitable. At least I would like it to be.

• March 12, 2011 at 5:30 pmPure LionHeart

Well, there’s still a ton of material (or at least enough for a second season) for Baccano from what I gave too, but just because it’s there doesn’t mean it’s going to happen, unfortunately. :(

• March 27, 2011 at 6:17 amShirt

Anri in a Yukata! ♥_♥

Kiss sex Sis! YES YES YES!!