You have got to hand it to Oda sensei – his ingenuity is second to none when it comes to the craftsmanship of both characters and themes. I gladly confess – I think I might have just shot myself in the foot. It appears that Rebecca, the busty gladiator of Corrida Coliseum, does stand a very good chance of emerging as the next Straw Hat recruit! The warrior dwarf Leo is, of course, my first choice, but there’s no denying it – my impression of Rebecca has changed for the better big-time and she has surely made a very strong case for herself. For starters, she is a female character, a denomination that is well underrepresented – and I’m convinced none of us, not even a supporter of an alternative, would be opposed to having an extra pair of X-chromosomes on board! Rebecca’s backstory is, for certain, a profoundly interesting one. There are bits and pieces that point to a tragic childhood, famished and shrouded in dysphoria – and let us not forget, she also shares a rather intriguing history with the mysterious gladiator Ricky, and of course, there’s a tie-in with the Thunderous Soldier of Rage as well! It’s truly a tale of two cities, the glee and jubilance that define Dressrosa are nothing more than a sham – and concealed beneath its bustling façade, therein lies the rub, a wretched fate that continues to haunt its inhabitants until this day. Whether it’s the “convicted” gladiators or the “forgotten” toys, they’ve all had a very rough time. Rebecca’s tearful remarks were pretty heart-wrenching to say the least – it was somewhat akin to a plea for help, one that is reminiscent of Nami’s most memorable line, “Luffy, tasukete”! The next few chapters will probably shed some light on Rebecca’s past and I have a feeling it’s not going to be a pretty picture – a slew of tear-jerkers, commotions and heartbreaks that await us in the flashback!
Clearly, Rebecca has made her mark – but she’s not the only one who has left us with a strong impression this week. There was an unexpected about-face to the characterization of Bartolomeo and it seems to me the infamous Cannibal might need a new moniker to go with it – Bartolomeo the fanboy, that sounds just about perfect! Yes, you heard that right – as it turns out, Bartolomeo is Luffy’s biggest admirer, a fanatic which is by no means inferior to that of a stalker! Bartolomeo is surely a fascinating package of contrast – savage and brutal on one hand, but meek and a bundle of nerves on the other. I’m not quite sure what to make of this revelation just yet – he’s probably not an outright foe, but I’m hard pressed to call him a comrade as well. The circumstance which surrounds Bartolomeo is not nearly as clear-cut as that of Don Chinjao’s – who has evidently emerged as a very powerful ally for the Straw Hats! The “Drill” has, indeed, made a comeback, and the old man is flushed with joy and gratefulness – so much so that he has put the entire Happou Navy under Lucy’s command, just as a token of gratitude! Then there’s the Blackbeard Pirates who, in my humble opinion, remain one of the most fascinating element in the mix and where their ultimate loyalty lies is still to be determined. A larger conspiracy appears to be in play and it has brought a cluster of heavy-hitters into the big picture – Marshall D. Teach, Jesus Burgess, Shiryuu of the Rain and Aokiji, the former Marine Admiral, just to name a few! What this means for the overall narrative is hard to say – Oda sensei has introduced some pretty grand ideas and as far as I can tell, we have just merely scratched the surface. A new height for the series could be within reach, as the Pirate Alliance Saga slowly but surely marches toward an epic of extravaganzas!
- Robin chwan will always be my number-one girl, but I gotta say – ditch the helmet and Rebecca actually looks pretty darn cute!
- I wonder what Rebecca’s 3-measurements are – compare and contrast, Robin’s B100-W60-H90 and Nami’s B98-W58-H88!
- She’s wearing her hair in some pretty nice braids – For those who are wondering, the busty gladiator is a pink-head!
- “I’m not going to kill someone who has treated me to a meal” – A badass or just a plain baka? Luffy’s quite a cheap bribe, if I may say so.
- “Wh-wh-wh-wh-what should I say to him” – Gotta love Bartolomeo the fanboy! He reminds me of myself and yes – I am a one of them and I have nothing to hide!
- Caribou vs. Scotch – RIP Caribou, good luck with that and nice knowing you!
- “Who lives under a rock, right under the sea?” – L002, a commenter from last week, was kind enough to point out the great resemblance between Don Chinjao and Patrick Star! An observation worthy of our laugh-out-louds – well done, my good Sir!
tl;dr: @SeishunRC – #OnePiece 720: Pin her down & make her a new nakama! I think I might have just shot myself in the foot #Manga