Fall 2018 Schedule »« Spring 2018 Schedule

Happy Sugar Life
25:55 MBS (7/13)
Grand Blue
26:25 MBS (7/13)
Legend: 1 2 2 2
3 3 3 Not covering

Now that every show has had several episodes to make its case, it’s time to tell you what we’ll be blogging this season. This is Random Curiosity’s Summer 2018 blogging schedule.

As always, this is a tentative overview of our plans for the new season . . . is what we used to say, but with multiple episodes under our belts, we’re pretty confident in our picks. Will some of them flounder down the stretch? It’s happened before. This is what we’re going with for now.

In show news, we’re covering 16 series, including 4 carry-overs. After a bonkers spring season, where your’s truly went totally gonzo on the bloggin’, I for one am happy to have a more manageable schedule, even if a few choice morsels slipped through the cracks. I see you, Grand Blue, I just gotta save some time for the ladies. Also, playing too much Overwatch. But I think we hit most of the highlights, plus a few fan favorites, so this will have to do.

In staff news, no news is good news. It’s a busy summer for many of us, but we’re using some of our (precious little) free time to contemplate new and fun content for the site, which we’ll work on refining and deploying when the star’s align. More details on that later. In the meantime, reminder that we’re leaving writer recruitment open in case anyone wants to get a jump on the next recruitment drive (which may happen soon… I’m not going to be able to blog five shows every season), so check out this previous schedule post for details. Because yes, I’m still too lazy to copy them over here.

That’s all the news for now. Thanks as always for reading and commenting, and feel free to pop on join our Discord channel if you’d like to chat outside of the usual posts. Let’s have a fun season of anime together. Banzai!

July 30, 2018 at 7:22 pm
  • July 30, 2018 at 7:30 pmsadamitsu

Missing Yama Susume from there.

• July 30, 2018 at 8:33 pmqwert

Moot point if no one is covering it.

• July 30, 2018 at 10:24 pmStilts

We don’t put shorts on the schedule, unless we didn’t know they were shorts when we put them on.

• July 30, 2018 at 8:12 pmyoloalchemist

For a show that’s so far divisive, I would’ve loved to hear what any of the guys in RC thought of Hanebado! .
    I know it’s just a shot in the dark that doesn’t know if it wants to be a sports anime or a psychological anime, but I’m really entertained by what it has on offer every week. Alas, hopefully it’ll get a finale post when it’s done, because I know for sure it’s not destined to go on beyond its scheduled 13 episodes.
    And Stilts, I’m surprised you’re not picking up Angolmois, especially since you’re a history nerd.

• July 30, 2018 at 10:26 pmStilts

I was tempted, but I ran myself ragged last season and needed a break. I’m sure I’ll do a finale post, though.

• July 30, 2018 at 8:29 pmLeBlah

Nothing I’m watching.

Well, see ya next season RandomC. Enjoy the anime.

• July 30, 2018 at 8:34 pmzztop

I’m surprised Zaiden didn’t want to pick up Yuragi-sou no Yuuna; his preview suggested he was the most excited about covering it.

• July 30, 2018 at 8:42 pmOne Pinch Man

There are two new sport anime that caught my interest this season: Hanebado and Harukana Receive. Honestly, I was more interested in Hanebado on the first week because the animation was quick and sharp, but it went downhill week after week. I didn’t like the characters except for Nagisa Aragaki. While not having animation as good as Hanebado, Harukana Receive is still going steady and full of many interesting character dynamics. I’m so happy it’s being covered here.

Thank you so much Choya for covering Sunohara-sou no Kanrinin-san! It is my favorite guilty pleasure of the year so far. Does anyone know why this anime is still not getting official sub?

• July 30, 2018 at 11:07 pmyoloalchemist

Come to think of it, the more I think of Hanebado! , the more I come to realize…. maybe it’s shaping up to be The Room of sports anime. And that is more interesting to me personally than Harukana Receive LOL

• July 30, 2018 at 11:37 pmOne Pinch Man

Everyone keeps forcing Hanesaki to play badminton and everything is way too overdramatic.

• July 31, 2018 at 12:15 amyoloalchemist

See what I mean? It’s shaping up to be The Room, especially with the latest episode. It’s either downright horrible an anime, or accidental genius that makes you laugh XD I understand if it’s not your cup of tea, though.

• July 30, 2018 at 11:43 pmArche

Pleasantly surprised Asobi Asobase and Sunohara-sou have been selected for coverage

• July 31, 2018 at 2:16 amMockman

Am glad to see that the deranged world of Happy Sugar will be covered, also the adventuring of the maou.

A bit disappointed however to see that the Mongols won’t be. I’m really enjoying that show so far.

Looking forward to all your work this season. Thanks.

• July 31, 2018 at 2:45 amtombeet

I’m actually surprised that no one picking up Banana Fish, which is the only obvious heavy-weight of the season.

• July 31, 2018 at 6:11 amUrizithar

Well that and killed by Netflix Sirius the Jaeger are 2 things I’m really surprised no one covers.

• July 31, 2018 at 1:19 pmPancakes

The Netflix license is probably the thing that affected Sirius the Jaeger the most. A few of us have hectic schedules at the moment so a lack of simulcast (and no clear episode count) makes a coverage commitment difficult to do.

• July 31, 2018 at 4:03 ammac65

Happy that “Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu” and “Overlord”
    are in the “coverage.” “Hataraku Saibou” is a surprise, but a pleasant one
    (it’s really a fun watch). And of course, Guardian Enzo is covering
    “Planet With” (oops – almost let your secret out about you saying good things
    about good shows; or something to that effect – whats-ever). And I’m sure
    “Happy Sugar Life” will keep my therapist gainfully employed over the coming cour!

• July 31, 2018 at 12:41 pmDexa

Aru Zombie Shoujo no Sainan
    Web (7/4)

I know it’s not covered, but is that actually a TV show? I thought it was just an OAV?

• July 31, 2018 at 1:20 pmAngelus

Yes, it was a single-episode OVA. Which was just as well as I don’t think I could have coped with more than one episode.

• July 31, 2018 at 1:22 pmPancakes

Nope you’re right it’s an OVA, it remains in the schedule mostly as an artefact from when we first coded the schedule. Easier keeping it in than bothering to edit it out :P

• July 31, 2018 at 2:46 pmLyfe

It amazes me how Gonzo aren’t bankrupt as a studio. They used to be such a juggernaut in the industry but now they’re just irrelevant.

I think you’d agree, they have had no real hits in a long time and they’re just sort of existing. Who the heck is paying the bills there? Lol.

• July 31, 2018 at 12:52 pmXiV

A lot of people say Revue Starlight is the most under appreciated show this season but it is actually Angolmois that is. While it’s not outstanding by any means it has been very solid as of the most recent 4th episode.

• July 31, 2018 at 2:41 pmLyfe

I honestly wouldn’t blame certain Staff for doing less shows over the Summer. Enjoy the lovely warm weather while it lasts because before yall know it’ll be cold and horrible again.

• July 31, 2018 at 5:25 pmstarss

Awww Hanebado isn’t being covered.

• July 31, 2018 at 5:51 pmZJZJ

No banana fish or grand blue? I cri everytim

That aside, while grand blue is fun it kind of speaks for itself and doesn’t need too much a coverage, so that’s that. Wish there was banana fish but I’ll still enjoy myself plenty watching it weekly. I get that you guys have priorities so don’t worry :P

Thanks for doing this as usual!

And one more thing… if it isn’t too irrelevant.

Usually, I check the season schedule from the “Navigation” sidebar at the right side, because for the life of me I can never remember on which days and time shows air. But for 3 weeks each season, before the schedule is released, I’ll check the season preview instead for that, but it stops being pinned after the first few days to a week :( Now, I get that I can find it from the top under “categories”, but it would be a tiny bit nicer if season previews could be added under the navigation tab as well. I’m sure people other than me also check out previews even during the season, so it would be great I think! Of course, I’m sure you guys are busy enough as it is… so it’s just a little suggestion :P

• July 31, 2018 at 6:10 pmRenaSayers

Just wondering if someone will be covering Jashin-chan Dropkick?