Loop de Loop »« And Then We’ll Do It Again…

Suzumiya Haruhi 2009 – 15 (Endless Eight)

Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   15   01 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   15   02 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   15   03
Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   15   04 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   15   05 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   15   06
Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   15   07 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   15   08 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   15   09
Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   15   10 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   15   11 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   15   12
Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   15   13 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   15   14 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   15   15
Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   15   16 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   15   17 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   15   18
Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   15   19 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   15   20 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   15   21
Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   15   22 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   15   23 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   15   24
Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   15   25 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   15   26 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   15   27
Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   15   28 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   15   29 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   15   30

I’m going to forgo a summary again since it’s pretty much the same set of events, though this episode is probably a bit closer to episode 13 than last week’s episode. I do want point out a couple of the differences though because they might be important. First, they seemed to focus on the clouds and the airplane symbol a lot, and it even appeared on the back of Mikuru’s t-shirt. Knowing how this arc is supposed to end, I suspect this is a red herring, but since this anime adaptation has already broken from the original novels, they could be doing something different. The other thing was that there seemed to be a larger amount of focus on Yuki than previously, which I’ve been told is important for later past this arc.

None of this changes the fact that they could be making much better use of this time if they had ended this arc two episodes ago and moved on to the next one. But they didn’t, so Endless Eight again next week, and I’m once again expecting it not to conclude.

July 9, 2009 at 8:39 pm
  • July 10, 2009 at 11:37 amgrey with an e

I’m not certain what is more repetitive. These episodes, or the same responses week after week of people who are fed up with the show yet still come back to it.

• July 10, 2009 at 11:56 amhalflifle

@theiden
    I dont understand japanese, what does the website say?
    That every one of the E8 episodes count as actual ones?
    In other words 14-6 (Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody+ all 5 E8 episodes)= 7/8 episodes remaining until the second season ends? is it what you say?

• July 10, 2009 at 12:28 pmactarus

@halflife

theiden say that in the left upper corner are listed eps 12 13 14 with the same title (endless eight)…but for me it’only a bad joke.

@grey with an e

true..cause right after u watch it u just feel trolled and need someone to blame, but the day after you’re waiting for the next one…i’m addicted…everytime is the last one.

• July 10, 2009 at 12:43 pmTrunkmonkey

I love seeing you sissy’s whine. Dry your eyes and buck up little ones.

• July 10, 2009 at 1:24 pmfoamer

its insane but i find it hilarious at the same time, poor yuki though, now we all know how she must be feeling x_x

• July 10, 2009 at 1:27 pmLevy

hehe, I like all people who get all buthurt. stop saying stupid things like “i’m gonna boycott this shit”, just do it if you don’t want to see it. i call attention seekers.

• July 10, 2009 at 1:30 pmAlexander Morou

Am I the only one who’s getting the feeling that this is starting to get a touch creepier each episode? Almost feels like a slow descent into madness.

• July 10, 2009 at 1:43 pmOverMaster

What, Levy? Isn’t people allowed to complain now?

• July 10, 2009 at 2:01 pmtman

that’s it

I’m just gonna tell everyone how Endless Eight ends, because Kyoani SURE AS HELL AIN’T GONNA DO IT!!!!!!!!!

Kyon convinces everyone to do their summer homework together on the last day, which ends the time loop.

• July 10, 2009 at 2:05 pmkureejii

Haruhi’s hair changed…Is that something important, or is that Kyoani trolling with me?

• July 10, 2009 at 2:39 pmnaman

Yes, I’m PO’d like most of the people commenting, but I DO plan to watch next episode regardless (although I plan on being half tanked to ease the pain) so I guess the KyoAni writers must know what they’re doing.

• July 10, 2009 at 2:39 pmkfc

I truly understand Yuki’s pain with the ending of this episode.
    If I were Yuki, I’d go Asakura all over Kyon’s tushy.

• July 10, 2009 at 2:46 pmSavofenno

To everyone complaining angrily: Do you pay for watching this anime? If not, keep your mouths shut.
    Of course i`m disappointed also. I wonder how KyoAni and Kadokawa think they are getting any more money doing Haruhi like this. If these episodes are sold in one DVD, i doubt if it will sell any.

• July 10, 2009 at 3:05 pmhey

NICE PLANE
    NICE PLANE
    NICE PLANE
    NICE PLANE

nice plane

• July 10, 2009 at 4:08 pmBK-110

I just hope that they’ll count all Endless Eight episodes as one (they didn’t give them numbers, after all) and still give us 12 more episodes after they are over. I know that’s very unlikely, but if it were to happen KyoAni would redeem themselves if you ask me…

• July 10, 2009 at 4:15 pmBystanderman

You know, despite the repetition, I still keep coming back to watch it each week. I find myself really liking the subtle differences, and this week’s episode was perhaps the most interesting for that. The weird symbols, like the clouds and plane, seem to be hinting at something Kyon can’t grasp, but as we’re seeing, he does seem to be getting closer (he foretells the bike request, he briefly wonders if he’s clairvoyant, he doesn’t give up quite as quickly when Haruhi walks out at the end, etc). Moreover, as Alexander Morou mentioned, things have gotten creepier.The music and sound cues in this episode were particularly well done, as was the quickly-flashing scene as Haruhi walked out at the end… it all adds to building the feeling of malaise that’s defining this story arc (and I have to admit, I find it hilarious that the only one that’s not experiencing melancholy is Haruhi.

Endless Eight has, in a way, gotten downright disturbing, and it’s this that keeps drawing me back.

• July 10, 2009 at 4:42 pmShiro

This is starting to be painful to watch….. >_>

• July 10, 2009 at 4:51 pmquint

sorry but i love this…
    personally i think it would be funnier if they never resolve it

• July 10, 2009 at 5:26 pmHealer

It’s a Troll B(

• July 10, 2009 at 6:41 pmtg8

@Healer
    How would you convince the whole studio to repeat doing the troll for the N-th time?
    The consistent groping for the new aesthetic horizons – that’s what is it! ;D

• July 10, 2009 at 6:46 pmDavid

I forget which company produced the show, but they are now the worst one ever! What were they smoking to even believe for a second that people would enjoy 3 identical episodes!?!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!! I’m gonna stop watching now. Tell me endless eight is over.

• July 10, 2009 at 6:53 pmSkiks

I wonder if any of you went to watch the episode already. The differences are getting bigger and bigger. Kyon is finally noticing things sooner. Sure it’s slow progress but I bet most people would behave the same stuck in such a thing.

• July 10, 2009 at 7:42 pmFeenix

ttp://randomc.maximum7.net/image/Suzumiya%20Haruhi/Suzumiya%20Haruhi%202009%20-%2015%20-%2007.jpg

UI!!!!!!!!!!

• July 10, 2009 at 8:06 pmdarkalpha

Having read the novels, I can see what KyoAni might be trying with its approach to the Endless Eight episodes, though I won’t deny that they’re probably overdoing it. Even though the premise seems simple enough – repetition of the august and the viewers seeing almost same stuff over and over, it’s actually quite important to the story. The Endless Eight actually sets up subtle foundation for one of the most important story arcs in the Haruhi novels – the Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi.

Think about it, out of all characters in Endless Eight, who’s the most affected by it?

• July 10, 2009 at 8:08 pmKils

haha, u guys are thinking too high of this series. The loop will be resolved with something very very irrelevant(which was actually already mentioned in one of the comments). No kiss 4 those who still had hopes.

• July 10, 2009 at 8:39 pmhallyo

• July 10, 2009 at 9:38 pmtokugawa

I have to say, while it’s pretty boring to watch, in some way, it’s also pretty ingenious what they did. I mean, sure, it’s probably not very entertaining to watch the same plot (in small variations) over and over again, but you have to admit that it’s incredibly unusual, and I sort of like it for that…

• July 10, 2009 at 10:29 pmAL

enough with this “endless eight” crap >:0
    even mikuru is tired of this crap

• July 10, 2009 at 10:36 pmS54

Is it just me or is the animation a little different this time around and I don’t mean quality wise.

• July 10, 2009 at 10:40 pmAmin Hyo

The word “Dream” in various forms appears throughout the episode; in kanji and katakana. A pointer to what is going on?

• July 10, 2009 at 11:42 pmyugi

The clouds and airplane obviously represent a cloudian and jetroid. haruhi is a fusion monster made up of these two monsters, and kyon and the gang are searching for De-fusion to stop her, but haruhi has blue-eyes and pole position on the field causing an infinite loop. duh…

• July 10, 2009 at 11:43 pmmagnumslinger

Is it just me, or is Yuki learning variety? Too bad it doesn’t apply to her uniform though.

• July 11, 2009 at 1:37 amAlexander Morou

Bystanderman,

You’ll also notice they’re adding more than just sounds here and there, the music, flashes, and strong hints towards something else yet to be shown. They’re also showing more of Kyon’s past memories, his phone lit up before it rang, things like that. Haruhi looked at Kyon almost disappointed that he didn’t have anything else to add to their list once they were done, I think Koizumi’s jest near the end during the observatory scene might be a hint, as well as the visage of Haruhi alone against the backdrop they’ve been hinting at very strongly (especially if the other person with her is Kyon).

I think Nagato is becoming exceedingly bored, if not irritated, as demonstrated by her intentional changes here and there, and with 596 years of this, I can see the dissenting voices of the Data Integration Thought Entity possibly resurfacing should things not pick up soon.

• July 11, 2009 at 1:48 amhellknight

WTF KEEP REPEATing story almost make me CRAZY!!!

WTF studio is doing???

this show going to the worse show ever make!!!

Season 1 already give me crap then didn’t improve it make it even worse T_T S2 WTF SHOW

• July 11, 2009 at 2:13 amCsyndro

I’m not going to be one of the flamers now, but really.. It is a bit excessive in my opinion to go more than 3 episodes of, what is generally the same thing. (Credit for not re-using animations though). All I can really do is hope that the next episode ends it, although I feel it would have been good enough to have ended it on episode 4. Either way, I’ll keep watching week after week, even if they were to pull a super dick move and just do all endless 8. >_>

• July 11, 2009 at 2:39 amnaoan

well, that’s it for me, will never buy haruhi franchises EVER again

one fans down for you kadokawa
    bye.

• July 11, 2009 at 3:15 amNo more Plz

sharpens knife…….
    sits down………
    prepares of Hari-Kari….
    commits Hari-Kari…
    DEAD

• July 11, 2009 at 3:27 amBEASTMASTERTOAD

The bizarre fact that they have broadcasts the same episodes for the last three weeks seems to indicate that their is something up other than “trolling”, as everyone seems to be eager to cry. If you’ve noticed, it hasn’t said anything like “Endless Eight, part I, II, etc.” or anything like that. Just “Endless Eight”. Could it somehow be all one episode, technically? They’ve already shown in the past that they are not above doing weird things like that.

And from a business sense, I’m sure that they aren’t all sitting in their offices in Kyoto enjoying people’s crying about the episodes. “Trolling” is the last thing on their minds here as far as making money goes, so you have to suspect that something else is going on with these episodes.

• July 11, 2009 at 3:51 amberamodk

I’d be so happy if they actually did this until I die. Love the subtle changes in every scene.

• July 11, 2009 at 4:02 ammilkberry

maybe they’re trying to make everyone see it from yuki’s pov. she endured almost 600years of the same thing and she’s bored like hell. we only looped 5 episodes (for now) and ppl are getting mad and annoyed LOL.

• July 11, 2009 at 4:55 amDNA

cmon there just following the NOVEL there only fault was making it too long well
    ill tell you how will it end KYON will say to haruhi at the end that he forgot to do his assignments and everybody including HARUHI WILL HELP KYON FINSH IT THE END DAMN IT!

• July 11, 2009 at 8:18 ammegalith

…………………………………………………….. FUCK THIS!!! I HATE IT WHEN THEY PROCRASTINATE AND COCK TEASE THE FANS!

SHIT!!!!

• July 11, 2009 at 9:12 amnice

now that’s why it took 3 years for haruhi to come back

• July 11, 2009 at 11:33 amParaalso

There is no chance whatsoever that the Endless Eight episodes are counted as one episode. They have bought x episodes worth of broadcast time, and the content of the episode doesn’t matter in that way to the people selling them that broadcasting time. Even if it’s the same episode repeated over and over, they still need to pay for each slot. It’s not completely impossible that they’d start another season right after this one is over without telling the fans about it, but it is impossible for the Endless Eight episodes to be counted as one.

• July 11, 2009 at 11:41 amZer0zUNLTD.

K-ON! animators ftw!

• July 11, 2009 at 12:38 pmKils

Even if they treated these episodes like just one episode, i think they r wasting our time. Repeating it twice would make their point. But more than that… pointless… Did they suffer an intelligence penalty during these last 3 years or what? Oh another thing, making us wait 3 years for this? Common… I dont understand how people can b pleased with this. If u like subtle differences, i suggest to just play those “find the 10 differences in these 2 pics” games; however anime should be less picky with its fans(business wise).

• July 11, 2009 at 2:12 pmnice

@milkberry
    we get very annoyed even though they are only repeating it for a week likewise yuki had to suffer 2 weeks just for everything to be repeated

• July 11, 2009 at 2:24 pmAwesome.

I don’t really think there’s no point to ranting on it’s a repeated episode from the last one. Because you know, who really cares?

You’re all raging that it’s the same episode but it’s not. The different angles, different views and some added scenes just adds the momentum of something greater.

Watch, when this is all over, we’ll be appreciated again with a good ending, hopefully.
    Besides I don’t mind this at all, feels like I’m in Deja Vu mode right now.

Everyone who got angry, I’m laughing, because it’s funny you know. To be angry towards a show you didn’t made.

If you MADE it, do what you want with it, but I know this is GOING somewhere. Just patience people. :D

• July 11, 2009 at 2:44 pmPink sniper

well i’m sure the fan raged, cried, moaned and cursed Kadokawa& Haruhi so bad, that they sweared they never ever pick up Haruhi again. But, when the next episode aired, they will still watch it, no matter what, and when the loop finished, the otaku will complete forget the whole trolling process, andd workship that damn Goddest again. Don’t say i’m wrong, the whole 6 years waiting+enduring the troll prove the unbreakable (follish) loyalty of fan.
    But, who care? I watch this show purposely for Yuki & K-on. And damn, i think i know a bit of what Yuki feel like, ugh…

• July 11, 2009 at 2:47 pmPink sniper

3 years my bad, but anyway: Please don’t make Yuki suffered anymore (go cry in a corner)

• July 11, 2009 at 5:27 pmkatz

I love this. I fucking love this trolling. I can’t wait for it to end, of course, but I just love seeing all these reactions.

• July 11, 2009 at 7:35 pmbrianleung8912

altho unneccessary, but the directors might just wanna give audience a small feel of how nagato wudav felt, plus pointing out some more details. I personally havn’t completely lost faith in Haruhi >:)

• July 11, 2009 at 10:53 pmMako~shi

As a novelist, I am rather interested the way the story has been flowing thus far.

Too tired to write my ideas after all, tho.

Meiby leiter.

• July 11, 2009 at 11:00 pmMako~shi

とれあらい!
    Haruhi forever! yay~! meh

(_ _) edit for website only.

I’m evil…. I know

• July 11, 2009 at 11:03 pmSatouKimu

kinda pisses me off tht kyouAni is doing this when they could have spent the time in doing another original anime.
    Even another K-ON! would be better than this.
    Kinda wasting their budget away…

• July 12, 2009 at 1:56 amChaos

I will applaud KyoAni forever if they do Endless Eight…forever.

This just makes Haruhi more awesome in my book.

• July 12, 2009 at 5:42 amtautau

Its still a great publicity stunt. It has people talking, and one can say its…creative. LOL. As far as “repetition” and “loops” go I still don’t consider this approach a particularly effective way of doing things, but hey.

That said, I completely disagree with the EoE comparison as well, because 2.0 is remarkably different from the anime version of Eva and well-presented (high-budgeted, too). Personally, its the most entertaining incarnation of the franchise I have ever experienced and unlike Haruhi, it has mass-audience appeal – indeed, most of the audiences that helped 2.0 top the Japanese box office 2 weeks in a row are non-otaku as with the first movie.

• July 12, 2009 at 11:15 amFishy

To be honest, I got annoyed. But after reading through the comments here and thinking about it, I’m not as annoyed as before. Sure it’s repeating the same events over but there’s slight differences here and there. It’ll be interesting to see what slight variations there are for the next episode.

Although I do hope it ends soon. >.>

On another note: I’m noticing the K-ON! art style in this episode too. I swear I saw Mugi in Mikuru for a moment as well as Yui in Haruhi. And then someone pointed out Mio in Haruhi. What is this? “Spot all the K-ON! characters in this episode!” XD

• July 12, 2009 at 12:31 pmMako~shi

Lol

Try watching the endless eight episodes 15513 times until the next episode airs. Only then can you be pissed.

• July 12, 2009 at 5:55 pmMappy

I’m amused by people who tell others to drop the show if they don’t like what is happening. Message to you: we have. Two episodes ago.

We come back here to read the posts about Endless Sheight because we enjoy both seeing people (vacuously) bitch about it and desperately (vacuously) defend it.

The trouble for KyoAni is that the E8 cycle came at precisely the wrong moment: the beginning of a new season. Had this happened in the middle of a season it wouldn’t be such a concern, but even with most of the new shows being rubbish, I’m still more interested in that than actually watching this. It is only the reactions that keeps me coming back here (and elsewhere) for more hot fandumb action.

• July 12, 2009 at 8:43 pmsquirrel

I find it amusing that not only is the animation redone, but the situation is internally consistent.
    Loop 15498: Yuki says that they’ve done the part time job 9025 times
    Loop 15499: 9026 times
    Loop 15513: 9031 times
    Whatever else you might say about this stunt, at least it’s not done half-assed…we’re getting the full treatment here :D

• July 13, 2009 at 1:50 pmSquigi

love it or hate it, I myself cannot stop watching these episodes even though I know that the next episode wont have a conclusion. Why? Curiosity.
    Every time Kyon tries to think of something in the end, I was like FUUUUUUUUUUU- and I’m just dying for next week to come to see if it concludes… which most likely will not, but who knows? That’s why we tune in for more to find out D:

• July 13, 2009 at 10:48 pmkairuu

wow. seems as though my tolerance for this kind of thing is EXTREMELY high, seeing as how im not raging yet.

im not sure if anyone’s mentioned this already (someone probably has), but it looks like more and more focus is on yuki, and she looks like she’s gradually losing her alien patience and deteriorating into what i think is a deep depression that will eventually lead to, i dunno, some sort of breakdown. course, i havent read the novels, so i dont know crap, but its a thought…

thing is, i think what kyoani’s doing with these repeated episodes is letting the audience see through yuki’s perspective. they want you to WANT the loop to end. you are driven more and more towards insanity (or in this case, series dropping) if it doesnt. unbelievably risky, and there have been many casualties, but that’s what i think they’re doing, and for some reason i dont hate the idea.

• July 13, 2009 at 10:51 pmkairuu

btw my conclusion bet is actually on next episode. 6 reps is starting to push it for me.

• July 13, 2009 at 11:21 pmSylfi

I have to say that it’s really interesting what it’s doing to me, and I think most people are experiencing this also. I’m getting slightly annoyed by the E8 repetition, but it’s also nice to see the variations KyoAni adds to the episodes, such as this one with the glider. But even if all these people are bitching about E8, they’re still watching because it’s Haruhi. Eventually this arc is going to end, and it seems that this arc is VERY important for Nagato. Just let the show run its course, and STOP YOUR BITCHING.

• July 14, 2009 at 2:29 amjinalbert

I think these episodes are more about Yuki. It’s about her [extremely slow] transformation through the various repetitions. This time around, she doesn’t bother to read any books. Sure she looks bored. However, her curiosity and emotion start to seep through (…after 500 years).

It also tells how reluctant for Kyon to change.

• July 14, 2009 at 10:06 amStigmata25

Hmmm, so Haruhi is waiting for a summer romance and will repeat the summer until Kyon makes a move.

• July 14, 2009 at 10:21 amStigmata25

It just goes to show that some girls will wait 594years for a guy to say “I LuV U!”

• July 14, 2009 at 4:37 pmblah

I agree with Sylfi. That’s all I’m going to say.

• July 15, 2009 at 11:38 amfacades

Haruhi wants to fly an aeroplane with Kyon?

• July 15, 2009 at 7:41 pmnana

this is soooooo beyond stupid. this arc ended on the 15,948 time, they didn’t keep this shit up for this long.

*HUGE ASS SPOILER!!!!*
    haruhi let time go forward when kyon invited her and everyone else to his house to help him with his homework. Theres no need to keep this up, if kyon said to haruhi he loved her id understand but come on! homework?!

• July 16, 2009 at 5:08 amGlenGrim

Drop.

• July 16, 2009 at 12:37 pmMeery

For this week: Show Spoiler ▼

• July 16, 2009 at 6:13 pmAlt.Perspective

Hey.. HEY.. but this time Kyon had a dumb hat. It’s an entirely different episode, guys.

• July 17, 2009 at 10:36 ammorizuki

if you can understand the TITLE..

ENDLESS “EIGHT”

means we’re going to watch the 7 episode with the same plot but different drawings and scene.. its kinda cool.. if ur not a fan of haruhi.. or not a haruhism.. u will not appreciate this episode..

cause we haruhism.. appreciate this anime.. the best and ever.. if you are irritated of this episode.. its because ur lacking understanding. endless is about looping cause haruhi regretting ending the summer without doing the last memorable.. its always in the episode.. the clue one.. (and i know what it is.. but i will now spoil it…) kyon just cant figure it out cause something is missing to solve the clue.. so they need to loop again while we watch it whats going to be.. (sorry for my grammar) its just the title say.. endless eight.. episode eight is the final episode and kyon will solve it.. n_n.. if you read the novel.. you’ll understand the story of this..n_n

• July 25, 2009 at 6:06 amzanzibar

What is it called? Stockholm syndrome? Where weak minded people imagine their abuser as a great hero. The fanboys go down that rout with their lame attempts and cheekyness, but it seems so feeble.

Whatever though, that’s your guys life. What a waste.

Anyway, why are people who aren’t doing the Stockholm syndrome thing even continuing to watch? Seems like a waste of time. I watched part 1, 2, some of 3 and 7 then dropped it.

I guess fanboy mentality is obsessive compulsive and self-degredation…

• « Older Comments