Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica – 09 »« Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica – 07

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica – 08

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   01 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   02 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   03
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   04 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   05 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   06
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   07 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   08 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   09
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   10 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   11 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   12
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   13 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   14 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   15
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   16 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   17 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   18
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   19 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   20 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   21
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   22 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   23 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   24
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   25 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   26 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   27
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   28 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   29 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   30
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   31 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   32 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   33
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   34 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   35 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   36
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   37 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   38 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   39

「あたしって、ほんとバカ」 (Atashitte, Honto Baka)
“I’ve been such a fool”

The phrase “my mind has been blown away” doesn’t really fit how broken my mind is. As I try to settle my thoughts and try to figure out a way to condense them into something comprehendible, the first thing that comes to mind is how much I would like to rip Kyubei’s head off.

After trying to see the good inside of him, frankly, I’m done. Right now, I wish Homura did more than just shoot bullets through his tiny little body. I could understand if he’s some sort of higher being that lacks emotions because his only goal is to save the people of earth — but he’s not. The idea that every single witch that’s been defeated so far was once a Mahou Shoujo just blows my mind away. But even worse is trying to picture just how vicious of a circle he’s created. Create Mahou Shoujos to defeat fallen Mahou Shoujos so that in the end, he can harvest all their grief seeds. At this point I don’t want to even think about what Kyubei Incubator intends to with his grief seeds. I just want it gone!

With the revelation that Homura isn’t from this era, a few things seem a bit clearer. First, I’m dying to know what kind of relationship Homura had with Madoka. All I can piece together is that it must have been a very special one since I was surprised with how emotional she became. Second, what is that level on her shield measuring? I’m not sure why it stood out to me, but something about it going up after using a technique bothers me.

But what blew me away the most, had to be the final scene right when Sayaka’s soul gem exploded and her transformation into a witch started. While I watched Kyoko sitting there, staring at Sayaka’s warped soul gem, I was hoping that Kyoko would be her saving grace. But, even as much as I didn’t want her to, she started to transform into a witch right before my eyes.

After watching another main character disappear, I’m really rooting for Madoka to somehow find a way to save Sayaka. Unlike Mami, Sayaka’s body seems to have been swept to the side from all the force her soul gem was spitting out. Putting that together with what Kyoko said during the preview, and I’m really hoping that Madoka comes up with something next week.

P.S. Did anyone notice that second of static when Homura was about to say how she knew Madoka? Makes me thing Madoka might really be something special.

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   Preview 01 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   08   Preview 02
February 24, 2011 at 9:34 pm
  • February 26, 2011 at 8:10 am♕Croozboy♕

from the looks of madoka we are going to see the battle again in episode 1 again

• February 26, 2011 at 10:07 amMaichain

Yeah I agree! It’s very likely to happen

• February 26, 2011 at 8:44 amacolyte

QB on my blacklist..
    I’d much rather watch umineko/higurashi than this.. Creepiness to the max..
    I’ll watch Madoka’s battle when it comes though o.o

• February 26, 2011 at 8:57 amacolyte

Hmm.. Reading from the comments.. Maybe it even makes sense to theorize that, in the future, Homura was going to turn to a witch, Madoka gave her Grief Seed to Homura, she turns into a witch, have QBs as familiars, and Homura wants to stop her turning into a Puella Magi in the first place.. But that’s just pushing the boundaries.

• March 17, 2011 at 12:36 pmacolyte

-_- Predicted this halfway right

• February 26, 2011 at 10:07 amShirt

daaayyyyummm.. 200+ comments. D8

• February 26, 2011 at 10:10 amawesomeness

Currently on repeat mode:
    QB cheese
    Sayaka turning into a witch
    Homura’s flash grenade

• February 26, 2011 at 10:42 amKinny Riddle

Wow… look at all those cheese holes, sorry, I mean bullet holes. I must be feeling really hungry. One does wonder if QB is made of cheese. lol

At last, we finally have an anime hate figure that everyone has no problem with bashing.

Even Shinji of Evangelion had fans defending him from the hordes of bashers. (That was before he finally grew a spine in the Rebuild of Evangelion movies)

• February 26, 2011 at 12:18 pmTakaii

Goodness, we hit two pages! AWESOME!
    But in all reality, I’m so excited for next week. You guys are awesome for following my posts :)

• February 26, 2011 at 12:54 pmGhostalker

Thanks for blogging this series. If I remember correctly, the last anime to have this volume of comments (excluding the movies/OVA) is probably Angel Beats! Just shows how strong and popular this series is.

Anime ain’t dead yet!
      Good start for 2011!

• February 26, 2011 at 7:40 pmkeiOnDaisuki

Angel Beats! is NOTHING compared to this show..

XD

• February 27, 2011 at 2:34 amZaku Fan

Angel beats is very good but the flaw from ep 12 is strong. Both it and Madoka use the “guess what is going on” method to increase interest and intellectual involvement, though they go seperate emotional spectrums. Sadness and hope for AB and despair and fear for Madoka. Both use music very well to accenuate that emotional impact (theme of SSS and BGM in sayaka’s witch transformation) and both do the animation very well though in different styles (beautiful backgounds for AB and shading and lighting in Madoka)

Saying Madoka is better is not possible as it has not ended. Thats the problem of a good anime. With every episode, you need it to be as strong or stronger than the last until the finale. Angel beats tripped on its final stretch as its ep 12 was logical and had no plot holes and pointed out how long the system has existed but failed as a conclusion of “guess what is going on”

• February 27, 2011 at 2:55 amkeiOnDaisuki

i strongly believe that i’d still be saying the same thing after this show ends. XDD

that said, i’m willing to bite a tongue if the opposite happens. i have faith in this show..XD either way, i realized it’s not good to compare this to AB since Madoka is leveled higher along with EVA..XD

• February 27, 2011 at 3:19 amkeiOnDaisuki

oops, to be safe, add IMO there. i’m afraid i might get shot. XD

• February 26, 2011 at 6:29 pmShirt

And people said this season wasn’t looking good.. -shakes head-

Keep up the great work, Takaii! :D

• February 26, 2011 at 7:15 pmkeiOnDaisuki

Takaii!!! thank you for blogging this once-in-a-decade kind of anime!! we very much appreciate every post that you do! keep up the good work! XD

btw, i’m faqing excited for EP. 09 too albeit i’m a bit nervous what might happen. unofficial rumors say that ep 7 and 8 would be put to shame next ep!!

MSMM FTFW!!!

• February 27, 2011 at 3:16 amkeiOnDaisuki

i think i should add IMO there. i might get shot. just to be safe.XDD

• February 27, 2011 at 3:21 amkeiOnDaisuki

takaii, mind deleting this one? it’s not supposed to be here..XD tnx! XD

• February 26, 2011 at 1:00 pmGhostalker

…also I hope this serve as a good example for anime studios.

In my opinion, the anime industry is in need of original anime series (ones that isn’t heavily reliant on novels/manga/video games). If studios will just try harder, this could be the result, they can do it.

• February 26, 2011 at 1:44 pmZaku_Fan

One thing that i have felt nagging for sometime.

Homura seems to conserve magical energy very carefully (though she does expend it to intimidate Kyoko, which makes sense as a full battle costs more energy) and gets tired very easily. We don’t see her using a grief seed. As Kyubei has mentioned, having a lot of grief seeds allows you to use your magical power like it was a platinum credit card. So what if Homura is not recharging? What if she is only using what power she brought along?

Seperate from that, we did not see Kyoko in ep 1′s dream sequence and Kyubei notes Homura is fighting alone. Despite his evil, Kyubei seems bound to tell the truth but can do so in a way that uses the person’s assumptions against them, eg “it will all end if you don’t do anything” means that his plan will fail if Madoka really does nothing. So taking he is telling the truth, Kyoko would have to bite it before W-night. the only threat prior to W-night would be Sayaka.

And Kyubei’s name of Incubator. Can it be that he himself is the egg and its not referring to the MS? he is trying to evolve into the next stage using the grief seeds?

• February 26, 2011 at 6:04 pmawesomeness

@zuka_fan

I’m sure her teleport ability takes “magical energy”. You don’t see her using a grief seed, but I’m sure she is no exception to the rule.

• February 26, 2011 at 9:12 pmEclipse

I’m actually starting to think she IS an exception. Given her relationship with QB, and what the rat said to her during a scene in this episode, she doesn’t have a contract with QB. We don’t really know whether there are other magical things roaming around, so we have to consider the possibility that QB is the only Mahou Shoujou-maker, and that Homura got her abilities through a different means. She obviously knows more than she’s let on so far, but I love how it’s still a total guessing game this far in the series. Next week’s episode is gonna rock.

• February 26, 2011 at 6:55 pmc2710

its quite hard to return to any normal magic girl anime after this…. just watched nanoha movie yesterday and it feels that its not up on par to madoka….

• February 26, 2011 at 7:36 pmkeiOnDaisuki

Ok, what if Madoka being an MG was actually for the greater good of humankind? and that’s why QB wants her to become one?

this would mean, QB’s saving humanity VS Homura’s saving Madoka. I say, since homura’s too dedicated to madoka she’d rather have the millions of people die than to lose madoka.

this might also be the twist that lead shinbo to have the audience rewatch the show- making alot more sense why homura wants to stop madoka.

• February 26, 2011 at 8:09 pmAni_BEE

Total crack moment but Homura breakdown reminded of Madoka’s mother, it was something in the eyes.

If Homura can truly time shift and has come back in time to save Madoka’s as maybe her “wish/miracle” who says that’s her true-self we are seeing as well. It also explain why she knows so much and her shield measuring is a count down till it’s to late to alter what event she is trying to prevent.

• February 26, 2011 at 9:56 pmamado

interesting trivia I found:
    “Both Aoi Yuki and Emiri Katou (who voice Madoka and Kyubey respectively) apparently love the Magical Girl genre, and are excited to be in this anime. According to Gen Urobuchi, they didn’t take the plot very well. Aoki Ume seems to suffer a mild version of this when learnt the plot of episode 3 too.”

• February 26, 2011 at 10:24 pmfragb85

Heh, I can totally picture Katou becoming increasingly horrified at what her character is doing all the while trying to keep that cute (and creepy) voice.

• February 26, 2011 at 10:39 pmkeiOnDaisuki

imagine their faces dramatically morph from excitement to pure shock of horror.. XDD priceless! XD

• February 26, 2011 at 10:35 pmkeiOnDaisuki

You hate QB,eh? here is the ultimate game for you.. XD you can shoot him! XDD

• February 26, 2011 at 11:25 pmfragb85

This is a better one. You can actually do combos!

• February 27, 2011 at 3:01 amkeiOnDaisuki

oh Lawlz.. you’re right..XD anyhow, i’d like to say that i don’t completely hate QB yet. we don’t know yet what his true goals are..but i’m inclined that he’s up to no good (it’s not like he’s aware of human morals though)

• February 27, 2011 at 12:46 amewok40k

this show has generated more comments than Freezing, Fractale, Index and Merry combined!
    Homura loves Counterstrike or what? Flahbang and autopistol????

• February 27, 2011 at 12:59 amGhostalker

In every season of anime their is always a series that will shine above the rest. So this season is won by Madoka, last year it was Angel Beats! But still, this is “still” small compare to what a Gundam 00/Macross Frontier/Code Geass could generate (especialy Code Geass). During those days, I haven’t discovered Random Curiosity yet and I’m certainly not a fan of the type of overhype fans in animesuki does, and the only blogging site that I frequently visit is anime-source and to add insult to the injury I’m not really a fan of mecha way back then, ignoring all the hype those mecha shows generated. Now browsing those series today, I can’t believe how much I’ve miss.

• February 27, 2011 at 3:11 amkeiOnDaisuki

last year? most popular? i think it was k-on! (not in the west though) XD

and yes, having seen reviews and comments for CG astounds me!! D’Hell! over a thousand! same here though, i haven’t discovered RC yet at that time. if i was,i’m sure i was one to comment more than 20 times. XDD

• February 27, 2011 at 3:56 amGhostalker

It’s debatable which is more popular, heck I’m not in the west. This is “only” my opinion, but that series really give me some headaches, specifically on how its moeness is overplayed, overuse at some point its sometimes frustrating to watch. Minus its moeness factor, I really enjoyed watching it for its slice-of-high school life and comedy, and of course I would want to mention meaningful last episode, so many good nostalgia about high school life. Im really getting older now, remembering those things, Its been almost 10 years now when I graduated from HS – Im getting to old! :)

It sucks in the work force!

• February 27, 2011 at 2:44 amLurker

I swear Homura pulled out a frag grenade, not a flash, during that scene. Either it was an animation mistake, missing audio effect, or SHAFT being SHAFT.

• February 27, 2011 at 2:48 amewok40k

picture was for frag grenade, effect of flashbang, so yeah…

• February 27, 2011 at 5:28 amGhostalker

Hey at least it’s still a grenade, I didn’t even notice that, who knows, it might be future technology. Speaking of mistakes I remember when Bakemonogatari flashing a wall of text on screen with something like this…e.g. PTA = Peparent Teacher Passociation

• February 27, 2011 at 7:33 amcx

maybe it was on purpose nothing says run more tat a frag instead of a flash

• February 27, 2011 at 8:00 amkeiOnDaisuki

ok, there’s this certain article from a jap-mag stating this– When a body of QB gets seriously injured,another one is automatically made. MG who kills QB gets her gem tainted horribly. QB eats his corpse to erase any evidence of his past existence.
    i’m not yet sure if these are authentic. But I think they are.

• February 27, 2011 at 9:26 amkeiOnDaisuki

in addition to the last, it was said that QB’s existence was composed of different elements in this world

• February 27, 2011 at 10:26 amMrMartini

Well, that’s just not fair…

• February 27, 2011 at 3:19 pmkyuzo

oh boy, here we go again with the time paradox.

one thing that bothers me is why couldn’t homura have told sayaka about madoka’s future? knowing that homura would have a big influence in madoka’s decisions she should have considered telling her the consequences of forcing madoka in being a magical girl. thumbs up if you agree. oh wait… lol.

• February 27, 2011 at 5:18 pmSora no Kaze

This show is awesome. Nuff said.

I laugh at how much we’re getting into figuring out what the hell is going on. It’s very very dark show. Makes it fun. Well I saw someone point out that speculations are speculations and how people go, Oh that show is so predictable, when it really is a hit and miss probability. First off, some speculations are bound to come out close to being true, and of course, right. I mean, honestly, how many people didn’t think that Puella Mahou Shoujo and Witches didn’t have a connection, well at least a very dark one, especially after Episode 3. Let alone, as it dawned to me (I wish I knew Latin), but searching up the word on the latin dictionary just makes it even better. Of course though, not saying we’re amazing, but it’s always fun to guess what the story is going to come up with. I inevitably, wish I joined the band wagon of Kyubei, or should I say, Incubator as evil. I held back jumping, as I was wondering if it could truly be him not aware of Human nature. But yes, don’t get mad at us, it’s just fun, makes it interesting and puts my thoughts at a place.

Anyways with the episode. Incubator, I would kill you a million times if I could LOL. Using wishes and young girls, so you can eat them alive, literally. The references of faust, and other stories from the wikia make it much more interesting, but I wonder what he’s truly going to use them for. It’s an interesting question, the idea of corrupt wishes, what could they harness in the first place in terms of power or anything.

Next off, Sayaka, I really don’t know what to say. Her ideals were strong, but she wasn’t emotionally ready. In the sense, I would say she deserved it. Yet at the same time, staying stubborn til the very end in order to stick with her ideals. I can give her some merit for it. Sure her wish could have been selfish, or a way to hide her feelings… but all she did was watch and let her take Kamijou, she let the thought slip her mind of killing Hitomi, but ultimately she didn’t. Facing the reality of an ideal is an internal struggle… I love how this show portrays the monologue and dialogue. Heck, it’s interesting how people who were similar couldn’t really empathize with her. If only Sayaka Miki actually decided to actually listen. She ain’t no Emiya Shirou, and her ideals were cracked beyond belief, but her struggle was shown quite well. I hope they redeem her somehow next episode.

Homura pulled an ARCHER! Nah jk, but seriously, her abilities are weird. It’s interesting people pointed out she never seen using a grief seed, and that Kyubei only knows very little of her makes me wonder if she is really contracted under a different person or if she herself is a true one. And how Homura can’t say real specifics in regards to the future already shows that there is a consequence in terms of Time Paradox. Which then goes back to what we should be asking…

What makes Madoka so special, especially to Incubator. Obviously not her pink hair, and hell we already know he’s quite cunning, so we can’t do the Oh he felt like it. Incubator does have the idea of maintaining, raising, in terms of eggs, or metaphorically, to ponder an idea slowly as in terms of hatching it. Basically to plant a seed. In this sense, he already done so by leading girls into making wishes that slowly get corrupted or killed that turn into Witches. The next part is what he does with grief “Seeds”. I point out seeds since he eats them, and I remember him pointing out that the seeds can become witches again if tainted too much. In a sense, a Mahou Shoujo could let a grief seed hatch into a witch, kill it again, to gain magic(Theoretically, but Kyubei doesn’t allow this obviously and there probably more to it). Then one has to ask, what did they have to fight in the first place if it wasn’t witches. Let alone, it’s weird that Mahou Shoujo tend to know each otehr in some form of aspects, why has no one asked what happen to ____ Mahou Shoujo for example, unless only a small number appeared at a time. Just saying that the number of Witches far exceeds then the number of Mahou Shoujo.

Unless 1. Kyubei lets out witches hence, the excess
    2. Kyubei has something to do with the Walpurgis Night, as he harvest all the grief seeds in his body, and releases them causing despair.

Though some things are drawn from Gothe’s Faust, there is a definite spin to it. I would need to ponder some more to find out what Grief seeds could be exactly.

And to answer your question Kyuzo, there always the aspect that how much would you believe if someone just told you. They could be saving face, be crazy, or anything. The chances of her just telling her working might not get the point across and the idea of knowing your future and trying to avoid it might cause worse consequences. Only way the consequences would be lightened or voided, is if ultimately, Madoka unknownly makes the choice that Homrua wants without actually knowing thus keeping the time continuum, or in the sense, the World at balance.

• February 27, 2011 at 5:29 pmPWAAMEAP

• February 27, 2011 at 9:53 pmZwei

so guys, any comments or opinions about this rage bitching by our japanese officials

• February 27, 2011 at 10:15 pmkeiOnDaisuki

nah, he’s just looking for a way to bash the show. he’s seeking for attention. the show didn’t even show the morbid parts explicitly. so yeah, to hell these complaints..

• February 28, 2011 at 1:07 amGhostalker

I’m scratching my head wondering what part of Madoka is actually morbid enough to warrant censorship…

If this is true, the only way I see this is “it’s a shameless way” of trying to ride on what’s popular to gather public attention. If scenes like that decapitation (which hardly seen any real morbidity) was enough warrant to become censored, then shows like Gosick, most shonen shows like Naruto, bleach, one piece etc. might as well be banned. Its ridiculous.

• February 28, 2011 at 1:15 amGhostalker

rage continues…

you gotta censor Fractale as well, that show is pretentious, on the outside it a slice of life show when in reality its supporting a bunch of terrorist commit horrible atrocities. Uguu~

Pretty much sums my rant on those raging righteous broadcast watchdogs (if true).

Many more…but I don’t have the energy to rant more that this.

• February 28, 2011 at 12:07 amc2710

i agree w keiondaisuki

• February 28, 2011 at 5:43 amNorwegium

Kyubei with bulletholes pleases me in an unexpectedly high level.

• March 1, 2011 at 11:19 amhaitechan

I was so happy for an instant when QB turned into swiss cheese. Sadly, the bastard has a trick under his sleeve. If I was Homerun-chan, I would have shot him until he runs out of bodies. Die, QB! And finally Sayaka snapped. It was only a matter of time, but still, I felt pretty bad for her. The scene was beautiful and so sad. Kudos to Yuki Kajiura for the awesome soundtrack. Now, if Hitomi was just revealing Kamijou that Sayaka loves him, it would be really twisted. I can’t wait for the next episode! This is my new Code Geass XD.

• March 3, 2011 at 8:31 amFlappy

WOW!!! This show just keeps generating plot twist one after the next, Definitely a contender for anime of the year along with maybe the biggest shock. Thanks Takaii for keeping all of us posted!

• « Older Comments