GOSICK – 13 »« GOSICK – 11

GOSICK   12   01 GOSICK   12   02 GOSICK   12   03
GOSICK   12   04 GOSICK   12   05 GOSICK   12   06
GOSICK   12   07 GOSICK   12   08 GOSICK   12   09
GOSICK   12   10 GOSICK   12   11 GOSICK   12   12
GOSICK   12   13 GOSICK   12   14 GOSICK   12   15
GOSICK   12   16 GOSICK   12   17 GOSICK   12   18

「夏の午後に蝉(せみ)の声を聞く」 (Natsu no Gogo ni Semi no Koe o Kiku)
“The Voices of Cicadas are Heard on Summer Afternoons”

BONES should change this anime into a slice of life, because I don’t think I’ve had this much enjoyment from the show since it began. Disappointingly, Avril is shoved away once again, but it became quite obvious that she has the hots for Kujou. Naturally, I approve. It was hilarious that she was okay with Kujou staying because she thought Victorique was a guy, but certainly now her two months away will be steaming with jealousy. The rest of the episode went along in a relaxing pace, purely focusing on the ridiculously cute antics between Victorique and Kujou, with a little of Kujou development thrown in. And that new purple outfit. Simply stunning. New outfit for a new season~

I feel like they’re saving all the good parts for later, such as the possible “Avril vs. Victorique for Kujou” scenes, and essential things like the backgrounds of our main characters. Even though Kujou finally gets some of the spotlight, it’s nothing but a small taste of his past. Out of his bros, he was the black sheep, failed to be manly in a soldier’s household, and his mother and sister were expectedly compassionate. Let’s not mince words here gentlemen, but Kujou was a momma’s boy. It wasn’t anything out of the ordinary for characters with a similar background to his. I’m not exactly sure if that hacky-sack of rocks symbolizes anything deeper other than a link to his childhood, but Victorique knew of Kujou’s vulnerable side since the beginning and supported him in one helluva roundabout way. It’s more of an affirmation that she cares enough to support him now, but it’s actually development “filler.” Like you know how the more time you spend with someone, the more you feel connected towards them? Even if it’s a total stranger, this works, so with anime, it’s the same concept. Episodes like this are to get the viewer closer, even if not much really happened, but even the antics are a huge part of it as well. Did it work for me? Let me answer by giving you another question. Did Victorique just reach a whole new dimension of nut-busting cuteness?

It’s also interesting to note that his smarter brother, the one all the riddles were being exchanged with, looks exactly like him, except taller and with a pair of glasses. Possible future rival for Victorique’s love? (LOL doubt it) His sister might actually make an appearance though, given her somber expression.

Before these last two episodes, I was feeling a little bored with the show, but this new direction of “less mystery more character” is awesome, and the next episode seems to be even more of it. I wouldn’t cross off a new mystery just yet though.

GOSICK   12   Preview 01 GOSICK   12   Preview 02 GOSICK   12   Preview 03

April 8, 2011 at 5:24 pm
  • April 8, 2011 at 5:55 pmZangkin

Good episode I thought. It was nice and relaxing. It also showed more of Victorique’s cute side which was a plus. I’m also glad that Avril showed up after an absent for a long time. It was pretty funny when she found out that Victorique was a girl. (That I found kind of obvious because Victorique isn’t really a guys name.)

• April 8, 2011 at 6:37 pmKTNO

April is a fool (I’m not ashamed) to think that Victorique is a guy.
      Plus, Saubure seems to be a country where people speak principaly in french so it should be Victorica and not Victorique for them :/

• April 9, 2011 at 7:50 amPandorakun

As it happens, the french version of Gosick romanises Victorique as Victorica. The anime seemed less jarring after I saw that book in FNAC.

• April 10, 2011 at 1:49 amX

I agree, heck I watch this show ONLY because of Kujou and Victorique! I mean the two of them really make a very good pair and have such an amazing chemistry together! I love typical harem shows and find it funny when the girls argue and fight over the guy, it always makes for a good enjoyment, but man I find this type of rare gem for a shounen genre to only focus on one couple all throughout to be amazing especially if the couple really works as well as Kujou and Victorique does!

I never really cared about the mysteries and other characters only introduced for the mystery, since the only reason why this show has exceeded far beyond my expectations is because of the two. I’m also all for a good confrontation between Avril and Victorique! I wonder if this will ever happen in the anime, and so i wonder if the two finally confront each other in the light novels.

• April 8, 2011 at 6:31 pmbear

Did Victorique just reach a whole new dimension of nut-busting cuteness?

Hell yes! She also tugged at my heart because she tried so hard not to show Kujo how much it meant to her to have him there. Her trying to serve him tea was meltingly cute. I swear she must be Taiga’s great grandmother.

• April 8, 2011 at 9:41 pm0927123

Taiga’s ancestor, lol.

• April 8, 2011 at 6:31 pmanishuma

You can’t go wrong with listening to Victorique’s grunts, ever.

I didn’t think Avril knew about Victorique at all.Or maybe this was actually just her first time hearing about her, which would sorta explain why she thought Victorique was a boy.

@Alec

I watch Cardfight Vanguard!For a Yugi-Oh inspired show, it’s tolerable and sticks more closely to the original Yugi-Oh as far as game mechanics go.It’s instantly better than all the other Yugi-Oh Spin Offs and Rip Offs.I watch it every week ;p

• April 8, 2011 at 6:33 pmalfredonm

Love her new summer clothes

• April 8, 2011 at 6:43 pm✙Croosboy✙

I’m guessing that this 12 episode were just character introduction. I think from onwards here the story development will be full of mystery and life time story.

• April 8, 2011 at 7:20 pmSilentcid

Nothing wrong with that. I like how they sort of spent time together instead of running around solving mysteries. Build that love interest with each other before they get split apart like that old man said in one of the episodes awhile back.

• April 8, 2011 at 8:25 pmchiibox

WHO CARES VICTORIQUE IS CUTeEEEEEeEE!!

• April 8, 2011 at 8:26 pmtomoyostar

I totally thought this was the last episode until I saw the preview! :P It would have made a nice finale :)

• April 8, 2011 at 9:42 pmKarmafan

They do make such a cute couple. Victorique is very ungreatful and unappreciative for having him as her friend considering he is the only one that likes her and wants to be with her. No matter what he does she isn’t satisfied.

Good thing for her this is an anime because IRL by now he would have told her “^&%$ you I’m outta here”.

• April 8, 2011 at 9:50 pmPeepQ

Avril in on a mystery with Victorique and Kujo next episode?!

• April 8, 2011 at 10:43 pmLastCross

I just noticed something, the purple dress that she wore in the episode is identical to the one in the opening! =o

• April 8, 2011 at 11:37 pmZwei

and you know what that shows?

it means she will be “http://gallery.minitokyo.net/view/524792″ soon

anyways, very good episode indeed, ^^

• April 9, 2011 at 1:00 amSerapita

I always hate when something like that happen in the show, hope it’ll be for a brief period…

• April 11, 2011 at 6:37 pmdsseraph

Beat me to it :( let it be known however that i called this whole plot line out several episodes ago! My wellspring of wisdom showed it to me! (har-d-har and what not)

• April 9, 2011 at 12:07 amnubc4kez

The relationship between Kujou and Victorique is really unique, because do note that Kujou doesn’t have many..er..only has two friends(TBH, I don’t really like Avril). While Victorique only has Kujou, she’s been doing well enough alone till he butted into her life(you cannot yearn for emotions when you never knew of its existence) I think because he’s the one who let her experience emotions, he’s responsible for having changed her(you cannot know loneliness without having had a companion).

Without elaborating on the fact that responsibilities have about as much holding power as as a sweaty palm, Victorique possesses all the charm she needs to keep Kujou wrapped nicely around her little finger. However, they actually need and support one another — in fact, without Victorique, Avril would never have been discovered(aww, friendless Kujou) and Kujou is most likely dead by now..without Kujou, Victorique might have died from boredom isolated in that place(no guarantees there). But what’s happened has happened, just saying that the characters do fit in nicely together. I also believe Victorique does appreciate him(and he knows it), even attempting to cure him of his inferior complex leading to that nice pet phrase of his, which I too was getting annoyed with, in this episode.

Lastly, I feel that this episode is very informative..it expanded on the two’s relationship, and definitely helps in ending the first half of the show. Looking forward to more mysteries, though I would enjoy a few more episodes of character development.

And yes, Victorique did just reach a whole new dimension of nut-busting cuteness.

• April 9, 2011 at 3:27 amBakanekokun

I say that this ep is by far my favorite: from Victorique seething in jealously and the prospect of Kujo enjoying an outside life without her, her vain effort in hiding her surprise/relief/embarrassment of Kujo’s return, all of Kujo’s siblings thinking about Victorique as a little girl (might I added her inferior complex about that topic), her jumping off the tree feet first, her making tea for Kujo (then in embarrassment order him to “lap in off on all four”), and then to her finale of triumph of beating Kujo’s ‘genius’ brother.

• April 9, 2011 at 3:29 amPockets

This show has very good looking females
    Anyone’s already a fan of Kujou’s nee-san? hehe

• April 10, 2011 at 5:55 pmboingman

Yeah, here. *nosebleeds* She seems very sad that he left her. Who knows, maybe she’s adopted and…*wild dreams*

• April 16, 2011 at 1:32 amChocolate

Haha but then it would turn into a harem. The relationship is centered around Kujou and Victorique, and we already have Avril as a love rival. Also, I think Kujou’s sister looked sad because she knew that he only left because he didn’t like his life back in Japan.

• April 9, 2011 at 3:31 amBakanekokun

I also wonder why Avril didn’t think Victorique was a girl since the name Victorique itself is feminine. but on wiki: ‘In the novels, it is noted that her name is apparently usually a man’s, as Avril initially does not believe Victorique is a female student when she is being discussed.’

All in all- it added a nice touch though…

• April 13, 2011 at 6:43 pmbakaneko

WHOA! No way! Brother!!

• April 9, 2011 at 7:54 amPera

This really was a relaxing and the episode I enjoyed the most so far. I think this anime would have been better of as a Slice of Life anime. They sure have the characters for that.

• April 9, 2011 at 8:07 amHagiri

A break from all the mysteries.

• April 9, 2011 at 8:23 amkira-kun

I’m so glad this 1 st season will be 24 eps. Victorique using Kujo as a landing pad was so lol.

• April 9, 2011 at 10:08 amFlamingYu

Good thing she has a summer outfit and purple, otherwise the summer sun is gonna “bake” her.

• April 9, 2011 at 10:21 amTehJawknee

It made for good times. I don’t mind character developing fillers like this and the Grevil=centric 11. Gives us a sense of where one comes from, gives a different perspective on Kujou and makes Grevil less pompous.

• April 9, 2011 at 2:32 pminnerchihiro

I really enjoyed this episode as well, especially as we’ve seen a little more into Kujou’s Japanese background.
    I wish there was a little more romance between Kujou and Victorique, because even though there is a lot of potential, they still treat each other just as friends. One of them needs to start making moves. :D

• April 9, 2011 at 3:09 pmUnyty

I was happy with this episode but I hope they dont put more of this in the anime.

• April 9, 2011 at 9:16 pmJW

My only complaint with this post is that it doesn’t have a shot of Victorique’s reaction when she saw Kujo climbing up the tree. Made of HNNNGGGG.

Anyways, this was a very fun episode. Victorique really does like Kujo, even if she doesn’t fully realize it. It was a nice fun break, but I hope we resume the usual mysteries soon.

• April 9, 2011 at 9:18 pmJW

Oh yeah, and her face when Kujo told her of his brother’s challenge was quite fun as well. Victorique’s face is one of the most expressive I’ve seen in ages.

• April 10, 2011 at 8:45 amBenigmatica

Although it’s just another Kujo-Victorique interaction episode, you forgot to include the double rainbow reference on this episode Mr. Kiiragi.

• April 10, 2011 at 2:39 pmhoiut

I could have sworn I heard Kujo say something like “double rainbow, all the way across the sky! Woah, so intense!”

But maybe it was just me.

• April 11, 2011 at 3:55 pmbakaneko

thank god i wasnt the only one that noticed that!

• April 11, 2011 at 5:35 pmDivine

Sadly, I noticed this too because my friends showed me it just the other day.

• April 12, 2011 at 8:08 amDraulung

Btw, that hacky-sack of rocks is called otedama, is a toy used in a tradicional juggling game, is filled with sweet-beans, and was a girls’ favorable game.

• April 13, 2011 at 11:12 amAnna Sharma

Yea, It was extremely relaxing. Avril’s jealous? That sure was hilarious!