Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica – OST I »« Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica – 10

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica – 11, 12 (END)

Episode 11

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   11   01 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   11   02 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   11   03
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   11   04 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   11   05 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   11   06
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   11   07 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   11   08 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   11   09
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   11   10 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   11   11 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   11   12
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   11   13 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   11   14 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   11   15
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   11   16 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   11   17 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   11   18
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   11   19 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   11   20 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   11   21
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   11   22 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   11   23 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   11   24
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   11   25 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   11   26 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   11   27
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   11   28 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   11   29 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   11   30
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   11   31 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   11   32 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   11   33
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   11   34 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   11   35 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   11   36

「最後に残った道しるべ」 (Saigo ni Nokotta Michishirube)
“The Only Way Left”

Wouldn’t it have been funny if SHAFT had only aired Episode 11 this week? I think I might have died from an aneurysm rupturing if I knew I had to wait another week for the last episode.

↓ Continue scrolling down to read the impressions ↓

Episode 12

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   01 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   02 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   03
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   04 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   05 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   06
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   07 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   08 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   09
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   10 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   11 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   12
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   13 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   14 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   15
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   16 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   17 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   18
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   19 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   20 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   21
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   22 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   23 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   24
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   25 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   26 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   27
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   28 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   29 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   30
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   31 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   32 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   33
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   34 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   35 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   36
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   37 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   38 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   39
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   40 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   41 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   42

「わたしの最高の友達」 (Watashi no Saikou no Tomodachi)
“My Best Friend”

In a world where the final outcome will always be one where someone loses, no one will ever feel that they have completely won. It’s that feeling that pushes certain individuals to strive and move toward finding that one possible solution to conquer a never ending vicious circle.

For those a little out of the loop with so much time between these last two episodes, let’s have a quick recap. Mahou Shoujos are created for the sole purpose of being used as energy sources. The amount of energy that a prepubescent girl outputs when becoming a Mahou Shoujo or a Witch is great enough that other societies wish to capitalize on it. This huge amount, which is enough to save the universe from literally running out of energy (which is happening), creates the surprising problem of how to harvest all this raw energy. Unlike like how our own civilization capitalized on the labor of those deemed “inferior”, I think that Kyubei’s actions aren’t nearly as bad. While conveniently forgetting all the major drawbacks of becoming a Mahou Shoujo and trying to push their hand in his favor, he always offered them a choice. Please note, that I don’t condone this at all. I personally hate the Old Kyubei and all of his cold hearted tactics. But from the point of a rational and emotionless being, I can understand where he’d be coming from. It’s like asking if sacrificing a part of society to save the whole is worth it — is it?

As the past eleven episodes have clearly illustrated, there is a huge drawback to becoming a Mahou Shoujo — you become a witch when you give up hope or run out of power. Effectively skipping death entirely and rampaging around the earth as pissed off as you were when you died until a Mahou Shoujo takes you out of your misery. Looking at this situation as a whole, Madoka’s wish is such an amazingly noble and selfless one that it’s hard to believe I never saw it coming. I don’t know about you readers, but I was sitting straight up peering into the monitor, waiting for her to utter her wish. I personally wanted Madoka to somehow become a Mahou Shoujo without falling into Kyubei’s trap, and boy does it feel good to watch how she not only managed to beat him at his own game but effectively changed the rules of the game entirely! With such spectacular scenes to match an amazing final battle, SHAFT really outdid themselves this time.

In a totally unprofessional manner, I will admit I was bawling toward the end of this final episode. Not just because Madoka was gone, not just because Sayaka was still gone, but all of that in combination with knowing most of Homura’s hard work was worthless and the fact that the entire world lost their memories about Madoka was enough to push me over the edge. The final ten minutes hit me in a way that I never saw coming. Watching Homura clearly remember Madoka was bad enough, but watching Kyoko, Mami, and even Madoka’s own mother not remember her? I was scrambling to find my tissue box.

At the same time, as I was trying to peer through the tears, it was amazing to see just how different the world had become after Madoka’s wish. Kyubei becoming somewhat less evil in morale terms, demons pestering the world instead of witches, and Kyubei collecting small curse boxes instead of grief seeds — because Mahou Shoujo’s don’t become witches anymore!

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   43 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   44 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica   12   45

Final Impressions:

Who would have thought that one season ago, Madoka would end up being the show of the season? While I’m sure that people would beg to differ, I still consider Madoka one of the shiniest gems from the winter season. With a combination of different themes, a great cliffhanger every single episode, and a story that constantly has you questioning what’s going to happen next, what more could you ask for? An even bigger surprise has to be that SHAFT was the studio who created such an amazing story. Taking on the task of creating an original story about a Mahou Shoujo, I’d have to say that they succeeded in delivering everything they said they would. Who would have thought that after a month hiatus, the last episodes still had such a huge impact?

In terms of characters and story, with only 12 episodes Madoka managed to flesh out enough emotion from me that I was dying at the end of the last episode. By dying, I’m trying to politely say that I was crying my eyes out. It wasn’t the type of tears that came out of my face when I was watching Clannad ~After Story~ and Ushio and Tomoya finally became a true family, but they still started to flow out on their own accord and I couldn’t stop them. I think it was from everything building up that really hit my heart. From the relationships between all of the main characters to all of Homura’s attempts to save Madoka from becoming a witch — something in there really got me good.

As I was still a little disappointed with that not 100% happy ending, I’m still pleased with everything I got. I think all the impact the story had would have completely disappeared if Madoka got to have her cake and eat it — something that others shows should really take note of. While I still would have loved to watch Madoka magically appear alongside Homura, knowing that she still exists and is always at Homura’s side was enough for my weak little heart to handle. But besides removing witches (and Grief Seeds) from the world, I thought it was nifty how the battle for a Mahou Shoujo still continues. Fighting the demons that inhabit the world instead of witches felt like a nice finishing touch — what fun would a world without a little magic be anyway?

On the Takaii-meter of how much I would recommend a show to someone, Madoka is one that I think anyone will enjoy. For those looking for something that redefines a genre (in a good way) and wants to experience a story that constantly has you on your toes, Madoka wins hands down. For those who want a little emotion and story development, it’s in there to. For those of you looking to bag on a show, this one is for you to — if only to act as a punch in the face to open your eyes. I’m happy that I had the opportunity to blog such an amazing show, and I hope that everyone had a fun time reading my posts. I can’t wait to read all the comments you have, as well as any theories that you have swirling in your mind. While I have been busy and haven’t been able to reply to as many as I would have liked to, I still read every comment.

“Don’t forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember her, you are not alone.”

April 21, 2011 at 11:54 pm
  • April 25, 2011 at 6:22 pmIchigomaru

It was fantastic and I really loved the ending.
    We can see that now the mahou shoujo is not fooled by the incubater, now instead they work together to collect grifs.
    I believe that that is a happy ending =)
    Best show of the past season, period.

• April 25, 2011 at 6:27 pmMoondoggie

I was crying my hearts out.

The event that Madoka became the Goddess of Hope for the Mahou Shojos did cross my mind way before April 21st. The clues came to me when I was reading the manga version Kazumi Magica that features a different MS concept. With the blatant allusions of Madoka and Kyubei in the story I realized that Madoka may have succeeded in changing the system and that Kazumi was really a sequel. But since in Madoka, nothing comes for free, I can only assume that to succeed that much would require a dire sacrifice. But becoming a Goddess?

I applaud Gen Urobochi and SHAFT’s effort in putting this masterpiece of masterpieces. This gem will forever be etched into my heart.

• April 25, 2011 at 10:05 pmkeiOnDaisuki

looks like oriko magica’s plot revealed ..somehow..still unclear though.

will this be post-madoka or an in between series??! or a spin-off or whatever?? auuggh!!!

• April 26, 2011 at 6:21 amamado

its already said that oriko magica is a prequel.
      and I think that kazumi magica is the sequel.

• April 29, 2011 at 9:51 pmhOmeRunDaisuki

hmm.. we ain’t sure about that yet. i guess, all we need to do is just wait when everything’s confirmed. damn, i miss this show. i miss homerun so much.. TT__TT

• April 29, 2011 at 11:23 pmamado

well I might be wrong though.
        it looks like it might be a sequel instead…

• April 30, 2011 at 1:53 amhOmeRunDaisuki

i’m so friggin excited about oriko magica. i hope homura reunites with madoka. =)

• April 30, 2011 at 1:58 amamado

well I do hope sayaka will show up or at least mentioned. otherwise il be a bit sad…

• April 30, 2011 at 2:01 amamado

I change my opinion.

maybe kazumi magica is the prequel instead. it would explain a lot and make more sense than being a sequel.

• April 30, 2011 at 3:07 amhOmeRunDaisuki

sayaka isn’t one of my favorites in this show. but i am agreeing with you that a sayaka-less madoka story is kinda saddening. DX

• April 25, 2011 at 10:07 pmMaichain

I have to rewatch this. First time around that I watched it I wasn’t feeling well so It didn’t really make much of an impact on me. Hopefully I’ll like it after I rewatch it if I feel better again soon.
    Sad to see this end though :(
    I hope they really do that spin off they were talking about!
    Thank you so much for blogging this show Takaii! It’s an amazing show! :)

• April 25, 2011 at 10:20 pmleaf

It felt a bit too happy.

=s

• April 25, 2011 at 10:22 pmkeiOnDaisuki

Madoka’s Character Song Mata Ashita

• April 25, 2011 at 11:01 pmkeiOnDaisuki

the cat wasn’t a lie after all. XD

Madoka Magica Drama CD 1

• April 27, 2011 at 9:11 pmGhostalker

According to a news that I read, Urobuchi Gen has surprise himself when he saw the cat in the OP because it is not part of his original composition. It’s generally accepted that it is placed there to fool the viewers into believing they are watching a fluffy and frilly show :)

But I guess they can add it now that their are many side stories being made.

• April 29, 2011 at 9:52 pmhOmeRunDaisuki

LOL. gawdayum trolls. XDD

• April 26, 2011 at 3:24 amMy琴し(MyKotoShi)

This series caught me completely off guard. I find it astounding the way the season ended because it leaves a door open to many possibilities. I, too, couldn’t hold back from tearing up, and as a novelist it is one of the highly sought treasures in a story that I strive for.

To be honest though, I hadn’t had much care for the series early on as it seemed “just another mahou shoujo”. Not until the death of Mami did I begin to appreciate this series over every other in it’s genre. In fact I’d say Puella Magi Madoka Magica redefines the genre altogether.

As the series came to a close, I found myself taking a favorable liking to a point that I simply had to have more of Madoka’s world. Finding myself in this conclusion makes this one of my favorite anime of the last decade.

To finish, Puella Magi Madoka Magica breaks the mold of a genre, and enter into a world where we see much of the same being offered, those seeking to excel in this entertainment should seriously take notes with what’s been laid down on the diamond table.

• April 27, 2011 at 11:22 amnagi

the ending was ok (a bit disappointed maybe because i expected too much and because the wait was so long), the animation was superb.

• April 27, 2011 at 12:38 pmKinny Riddle

Wonder if bumping this pretty much dead discussion now is considered “necroing”? lol

Anyway, finally managed to marathon through the series for the past week and yes, it was time well spent. I’m hardly religious, but Madoka seriously has that Jesus feel to her, offering to sacrifice herself so that all may be saved, and in turn, gets “ascended” into a goddess (or “upgrade” if you’re atheist) that transcends time and space.

Unlike most people, I started watching knowing most of the plot already. To put it this way, I was specifically watching through HomuHomu’s POV instead of Madoka’s, but watching it from that POV the whole way, rather than just from episode 10, was a revelation in itself. It merely made the emotional impact of poor HomuHomu realizing no one else will remember Madoka in the finale even stronger.

The final post-credit scene with Homura in the desert is probably the “True End”, where HomuHomu knew that Madoka has come to fetch her at last as she makes her final Ragnarok-like battle with the demons, in which the world will still end.

I fully recommend you guys to re-watch it using only Homura’s perspective, it’s an eye-opener.

This video does a nice job contrasting the exact similar scenes of Homura walking with Madoka to the school sick bay in episode 10 to episode 1 (in HomuHomu’s timeloop order). Seeing Homura go from shy and cute girl in “before”, to having to restrain her sadness and open up to Madoka, instead forcing herself to act cold in front of her in the “after” iteration was just painful to watch.

Besides the excellent if dark plot by Urobuchi Gen and direction by Shinbo Takayuki, credit must also be given to Kajiura Yuki for her excellently mesmerizing soundtrack, shifting the mood nicely from lighthearted to dark seamlessly, as well as the ominous ED Magia, which she composed and performed as a member of Kalafina. I started noticing her music from .hack, and 10 years on, I see she still hasn’t lost her touch.

(Yes, I changed my Gravatar just for HomuHomu :) )

• April 27, 2011 at 9:21 pmGhostalker

I agree with you with the soundtracks, it gives such a huge impact in my viewing experience. The original reason why I started to like Madoka in its first episode was because 1.) Mami’s superb transformation followed by unlimited rifle works and 2.) the soundtrack accompanying Mami’s transformation sequence ,..truly a visual and audio masterpiece. I keep on viewing and viewing the scene again from time to time :)

• April 29, 2011 at 10:00 pmhOmeRunDaisuki

Yes, I changed my Gravatar just for HomuHomu :)

very good, kinny. =) i changed my username to homerun though. XDD

i agree about kajiura. madoka would never be the same without her superb music. the BGM was the main factor why the awesome moments became more awesome. it helped the scenes to bring out the emotions more from people who watched it.

and definitely yes to the Jesus tribute. =)

• April 28, 2011 at 2:17 amMartianMage

Finally decided to post. After I watched Madoka I was kind of demotivated knowing that Madoka is over(you know like “is there a meaning to life anymore?!” feeling).

Really like how they handled the finale. I would have preferred a happier ending but this bittersweet ending works so well that I don’t really have much of a complaint.

Thank you Magica Quartet for this amazing series. I won’t ever forget Madoka.

• April 28, 2011 at 8:46 amKinny Riddle

I know! It’s been ages since an anime gave me withdrawal symptoms once its story has ended, and I’ve only just finished watching yesterday.

K-ON finishing made my life a bit complete, but not even that could get me this “demotivated”. lol

I really can’t remember the last time I had such a feeling, perhaps when I last concluded defeating Sephiroth at FF7, but FF7 is no anime. XD Perhaps the ending of Inception comes close, but still no match for this.

In other words, a truly amazing anime, if you’ll pardon me going all fanboy about it. :D Well done Shinbo Akiyuki, Kajiura Yuki, and even Urobuchi Gen, despite his stories generally being very depressing.

• April 29, 2011 at 10:01 pmhOmeRunDaisuki

Madoka Magica will forever be remembered.

• April 28, 2011 at 3:09 am1Lau

Awesome show, just remember to think carefully before you make your wish or miracle come true. ;)

• April 28, 2011 at 1:30 pmSongbird

“….Homura’s hard work was worthless.”

But wasn’t it stated in episode 11 that all the loops she made was what made Madoka’s potential power as a magical girl grow? The result allowing Madoka to make a system changing wish that even allowed her to warp time and space

• April 29, 2011 at 3:52 amSaya

WANT.http://images3.jlist.com/g7/madoka_r3t5a.jpg Hopefully it’ll be in stores in Japan the next two weeks. I want to get my brother to buy it for me on his trip D:

;A; Madoka Banner is already gone.

• April 29, 2011 at 4:19 amShirt

They did some nice work on the eyes. Definitely worth the purchase. :D

Fireball Charming is damn good. I’m not let down in the least by the change. The other one had a holiday vibe to it.. >>”

• April 29, 2011 at 6:10 amrincewind

Ooooooooooh, the nendo Madoka!!! So cuuute!!! I must preorder.
      And I reeeeeaaaally want a Mami-san one! Hear that, Goodsmile?

• April 29, 2011 at 6:52 amSaya

I really hope they do all of them. I never collect figurines/nendoroids but I seriously want a Puella Magi Collection+Kyuubey now!

• April 29, 2011 at 10:04 pmhOmeRunDaisuki

<3 so cute!!! i have my job right now. i can finally buy any madoka merchandise i want!!! mwahhaha..XDD ah wait, i need to learn how to save first. XDDD

• April 29, 2011 at 10:28 pmhOmeRunDaisuki

Blu-Ray Madoka Magica 4koma by Aoki Ume <3

and if you want the girl’s soul gems

• April 29, 2011 at 11:27 pmamado

wish I could read the rest. this made kyubey even more nicer than he seems.

• April 30, 2011 at 1:52 amhOmeRunDaisuki

what a great news! looks like madoka magica had already sold 22k BD within JUST A DAY!!! WTF!! it’s going to beat bake, i’m sure of it!! XDDDD

• May 1, 2011 at 4:47 pmicyhandofcrap

You should put Madoka up on the Popular Series tag. XD

• May 2, 2011 at 9:12 pmWhalegator

Awesome :’)

• May 3, 2011 at 9:09 pmmammon

Rewatched the anime because it was awesome… I want the Madoka banner back again, it was replaced so quickly. It would be nice if Random Curiosity can have the option for the users to choose a banner. I personally liked the Madoka banner followed by the Bakemonogatari banner, classic RC Zero no Tsukaima banner, and the Ika Musume banner.

• May 3, 2011 at 10:18 pmMaichain

that would actually be pretty awesome :)
      but on the other hand, if we had that option the element of surprise we get (at least i do ) whenever they change the banner would be slightly reduced since one probably wouldn’t be thinking i wonder what’s it going to change to next since we would be able to do that ourselves.
      Personally I miss the classic RC Zero no Tsukaima banner, i would like to see it up again for a little while XD

• May 3, 2011 at 10:19 pmMaichain

I miss Madoka T_T, I need to rewatch it

• May 3, 2011 at 11:22 pmhOmeRunDaisuki

T__T me too.

• May 5, 2011 at 4:20 amGhostalker

Wow, Madoka BD/DVD sales are very impressive so far Clap! Clap! Clap!, if things go well it will surpass the sales of Bakemonogatari in 3 weeks time, but probably will still below the sales of Gundam SEED/Destiny.

• May 5, 2011 at 8:27 pmAnon

In all fairness, the winter season was pretty damn terrible so it doesn’t take much for a show to become one if its “shiniest gems.”

• May 10, 2011 at 11:12 pmhOmeRunDaisuki

lol.

• May 12, 2011 at 9:17 amNolan

Madoka died for our sins! All hail the goddess!

• May 18, 2011 at 5:31 pmKentaiyoshimi

Unbelievable… Totally did not expect this from an anime with “Mahou Shoujo” in its title. I was expecting some cheesy Sailor Moon-esque show with annoying drawn out mahou shoujo transformations, along with a monster-of-the-week approach. Needless to say, this show completely blew my expectations away, es[ecially for being only 12 episodes long.

Interesting how despite Kyubei being such a sinister character throughout the whole show, he was never the real antagonist.

If only the characters were older (ie late teens/early adulthood, instead of prepubescent), I would absolutely love this show, since I’m not a fan of elementary school look-alike character designs

• May 25, 2011 at 4:49 amGhostalker

The OST of Madoka Magica is finally here! Never before I was this so excited by an OST, really really impressive collection of songs, my respect for Kajiura Yuki for her compositions. She made this series even more exciting with her songs :)

• May 30, 2011 at 3:37 amhOmeRunDaisuki

Agree.

I’m loving madoka more and more because of her compositions. <3

• May 30, 2011 at 3:35 amhOmeRunDaisuki

• June 14, 2011 at 7:56 pmMM

I am going to miss Madoka. :( she will always be there, even if the series already ended. Cannot wait to read the current madoka magica manga as well as the two new magica manga series. One of my top animes as well as best show of 2011 MAHOU SHOUJO MADOKA MAGICA :)

• June 28, 2011 at 1:17 amhOmeRunDaisuki

I miss this show. DX

• July 20, 2011 at 5:23 pmRintarou

Still no news of a second season or new series. :(

• July 20, 2011 at 5:25 pmRintarou

Oh, and the comments for this will be closed after today. Oh well, hope they announce something for Madoka next year. I really want this to become a thriving franchise and not be SHAFT-ed.

• August 17, 2011 at 6:10 amGhostalker

Re-watching this series in its BD glory and all I can say is that the animation is absolutely amazing. I like the subtle changes or additions on the BD and while I originally rated the TV Animation of Madoka 9, I’m rethinking, just waiting for episodes 9-12 and I might change my verdict for the animation (By the way, my overall rating for Madoka is 10, For my full review, please click my MAL).

Anyways, there is a rumor on how the episode 11 of Madoka is supposedly 2 episode long, but as everyone probably knows – the great earthquake last March 2011 caused Madoka to be delayed for more than a month (6 weeks to be exact), according to the story, SHAFT completely redo many scenes/ cut a lot of scenes that may serve as a reference to the earthquake hence why it feels rush (only episode 11). If this rumor is true then I wish….I wish they release the complete and uncut version in the BD release (provided the rumor is true).

Note: I guess this rumor is no big secret to fans of Madoka, just want to state it here :)

• « Older Comments