Guilty Crown – 19 »« Guilty Crown – 17

Guilty Crown   18   31 Guilty Crown   18   32 Guilty Crown   18   33
Guilty Crown   18   34 Guilty Crown   18   35 Guilty Crown   18   36
Guilty Crown   18   37 Guilty Crown   18   38 Guilty Crown   18   39
Guilty Crown   18   40 Guilty Crown   18   41 Guilty Crown   18   42

「流離 Dear…」 (Ryuuri)
“Wandering”

“Okay… I’m way too tired to be writing about an episode like this, so you guys can have first crack at it. I’ll have a full write-up tomorrow.”

I didn’t intend to make my original note to be as sarcastic as it ended up sounding — as I was simply too tired from work to put together a coherent post for such an episode full of “interesting” developments — but it does touch upon my ever-changing impression of this series. While Guilty Crown does continue to entertain and spark lots of discussion in some form, it’s almost as if the writers have very little regard for how they go about it. They’re throwing out a lot of sudden plot twists that come completely out of left field and feel like obvious attempts to win audiences over with sheer shock value. Some are all right and have some form of precedence, which is key in my eyes for believability and continuity sake, whereas others just feel tacked on, creating a dissonance between what the series looked like it was going to be and what it eventually became. It’s as if Guilty Crown is a “work in progress” with a rapidly evolving storyline, and the writers themselves have lost sight of their original vision. When on-the-fly writing is done in a humorous way, it’s all fine and dandy, but not so much when it’s for an original series that’s taking itself seriously and showed so much potential five months ago.

If we’re talking specifics, Gai’s return and use of the Leukocyte orbital weapons to hold the world hostage is actually something I can get on board with since it has precedence in the form of prior build-up. The same goes for the questionable yet growing interest that Daryl has in Tsugumi, and Arisa happily being a tool for Gai in any way, shape, or form. I even liked how Gai did us a favor by sacrificing all of Shuu’s former followers without a second thought, as they were slated to die at some point in my mind. I’m also okay with the sudden implication that Kenji may have struck a deal with GHQ, since it seems like something his character would do. What left me scratching my head though was the way Arisa’s grandfather was scripted to show up only to allow himself to be killed. Did he simply outlive his role in the show and didn’t deserve any more screen time, or was I supposed to feel sympathetic to either situation there? I’m still not sure. Then there’s the recent introduction of Kurachi 「倉知」 (Kawashou Miyuki), whom everyone treats like she’s been here all along yet seems like she’s only here to fill in the depleted ranks in Funeral Parlor. Her name has yet to be mentioned in the show, which is why I mistook her for the nameless girl in episode 16, and I really don’t see what she adds to the story at this point, other than being the one who pointed out that Daath is an organization older than Freemasons and Zionists — yet another head-scratching revelation this late in the series.

In terms of more notable developments, I’m still having difficulty accepting Haruka’s inconsistent stance on trying to run away from Shuuichirou before and working with him now — to the point that she actually hopes chopping Shuu’s arm off will free him from his fate. That kind of inner turmoil just didn’t seem appropriate, nor did it come off all that sincere, even with Ouma Kurosu coming into the picture. Will Haruka’s guilt lead her to do something significant next time? Perhaps, but it won’t wipe away all the other less agreeable stuff that’s happened up to this point. Last but definitely not least is the “awakening” of Inori. I can’t say I feel the need to actually transform her into an actual monster beyond the lingering Mana presence — going back to what I said earlier about plot twists for the sake of shock value — but everything leading up to that point with her attachment to Shuu wasn’t too bad from a characterization standpoint. If nothing else, Shuu looks like he’s ready to become useful again, as hinted by the black and green arm in the opening sequence, and the preview suggests that Haruka will be the one to get a hold of the third and last Void Genome, so it’ll be interesting to see how this roller coaster ride of a series ends.

* Full-length images: 07, 18, 19, 21, 22, 26, 27, 32, 42.

Guilty Crown   18   Preview 01 Guilty Crown   18   Preview 02 Guilty Crown   18   Preview 03

Watch the Preview!: Streaming ▼

End Card

Guilty Crown   18   End Card 01
February 24, 2012 at 12:54 am
  • February 24, 2012 at 2:06 pmStereoman

I was watching this show at 5AM, really tired and when Inori transformed I thought it was Mirajane from FAIRY TAIL….

• February 24, 2012 at 2:14 pmghostfr1

Very interesting post. And a nice website too. Check out My Anime Blog if you have time.

• February 24, 2012 at 2:51 pmCroco

If I am Shu I’ll let Inori do whatever she wants to me!

• February 24, 2012 at 3:03 pmpokpokza

this episode is the best so far . I enjoy this one .
    Inori is Queen of blade lol. Troll anime . If you like troll anime try gundam seed + destiny serie and code geass , you won’t stop saying ‘why the main characters are so stupid.

• February 24, 2012 at 3:16 pmNanashi

So, I still follow guilty crown, and intellectually accept that it is a waste of time, yet an enjoyable one.

Usually, I click through an episode just to get a feel for it before deciding to watch it, and happened to catch the part with Grandpa going Kenshin mode.

Now, I didn’t even realize who he was at the time, but just the randomness of it all made me think that this series is the BEST EVER! Why did they even take the trouble to show he was wearing shoes too! Did the creative team sit down and think “hey let’s make Kuhoin Senior enter the fight with his Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu speed.” And of course, the greatest cliche of Japan, the swordsman being taken down by the gun.

• February 24, 2012 at 3:25 pmpokpokza

Who agree with me that code geass is far better than this anime ? and much easier to understand and soo cool well about VV i know that he is a guy since the beginning you just have to watch more anime.

• February 24, 2012 at 3:39 pmpokpokza

Hare die for nothing poor innocent girl. Code geass , Madoka and gurren lagann is da best stop compare them to this shit Nisemonogatari is 10n infinity cooler than this shit.

• February 24, 2012 at 4:09 pmThe Story You Don’t Know

I’ve been “bashing” this anime all season long but now I’m going to take a different take on it. Hating it won’t make anything better, so why not learn to like it at all?

For a start, I’m rooting for Shu to go badass mode and grow a hand. Though I don’t know how, I bet the producers will find a way. They always do. Go and be like a man Shu! Your soon to grow arm is an arm that will pierce the heavens! If there’s a wall in your way then you smash it down! If there isn’t a path, then you carve one yourself! Go and make one last stand to save that girl and chase her until the end of the universe! Of course, TTGL references :D

Shitty story.
    A lot of plot holes.
    Lazy characterizations.
    Lame protagonists and female lead character.
    Lame supporting cast.

I don’t really care anymore. We’ve all made it through 18 episodes of hating it, might as well just love it for the last few episodes for the sake of it. Hate me for starting to like it, I don’t care. But I won’t deny that GC is a trainwreck.

P.S.
    I just really hope the writers NEVER EVER LAND ANOTHER JOB IN A MAJOR PROJECT AGAIN. Seriously, they fucked up on this one.

• February 24, 2012 at 4:37 pmKimi no Monogatari Shiranai

If I remember correctly you used to like this show. How far we have come that even you eventually jumped on the hate bandwagon.

I agree with that last sentence. It pains me to think what a great anime this would have been had we had more competent writers. I had GC panned as what could have been one of my favourite animes of all time but it just took one gaping hole in the staff line up to screw that up.

• February 25, 2012 at 12:53 amThe Story You Don’t Know

I wouldn’t say I liked it, it’s pretty hard to like something especially when you were expecting something great out of it. In the last 13 episodes (yeah, I still believe it would turn out great until episode 5) I found it hard not to facepalm while watching it for all the plotholes and inconsistencies it gave in each episode. In every new episode that came out I was thinking like “Okay, what surprise will they give us today? What will Shu do today to make us bash him?”. Then for this episode 18, for once I watched without thinking of all the plot holes and hate for Shu and Inori, as surprised as I was, I pretty much enjoyed it and found myself now rooting for Shu and Inori.

TL;DR
        Try watching it without thinking too much of your hate on the cast and the plot holes. For once, just enjoy the damn show.

P.S.
        I still hate the writers. I don’t care if they worked on big names like Code Geass, they really fucked up on this one.

• February 24, 2012 at 4:22 pmJust A Random Guy

Wow…Sorry, but I gave up on this show after this ep. I think the writers did too after the second ep. I mean, have anyone notice how the entire general plot have not moved forward ever since ep 12? It’s been shu in a school and playing his little ‘king’, while after 6 ep, it really didn’t matter.

• February 24, 2012 at 7:08 pmDa5id

He could have just lost his arm in Episode 12 and avoided the ranking system, betrayal and everything. Seriously, that whole arc set him back more than it pushed him forward.

• February 24, 2012 at 4:32 pmBeedle

lol

less than a day since Divine started this and there are over 280 comments and 11.7k views, and he hasn’t even written anything yet XD I’d be laughing my ass off if I were him :’D

• February 24, 2012 at 4:37 pmgrey

I am me.

• February 24, 2012 at 4:38 pmNolan

So, is Gai supposed to be Daath Vader or something? With the hand-cutting and all, what next? In the last episode is he gonna say, “Shu, I am your FATHER!”?

• February 24, 2012 at 9:09 pmHutch Hutchenson

Why not just replace Gai WITH Darth Vadeer. At least that will make this series bearable.

• February 25, 2012 at 3:21 pml3reezer

But he’s also Gaindolf the White. GC writers pick 3 other series to base their plot on for a couple of weeks and then move onto another 3 again and again. This cycle’s 3 was Lord of the Flies, Lord of the Rings, and Star Wars, apparently.

• February 24, 2012 at 4:43 pmhoiut

It’s interesting some people are noticing the ample amounts of symbolism and allegory speckled throughout the series. Yes, this show is absolutely rife with symbolism. Practically every Void, every action, every song, and every backdrop either explicitly or implicitly reflects the internal states of the characters and their situations at large. These symbols can then be extended to the world at large. There are even some parallels with Macbeth mixed in here, however fragile.

Of course, none of this is particularly meaningful when the series is trying to pack so much information (of all sorts) into so little time. Loose ends and character changes crop up so frequently that they either seem hopelessly unresolved or hastily precipitated. Most of the glaring issues found with Guilty Crown surround these aspects, and even many of the flawed details (why the grandpa’s limo guards stopped shooting, why colonel Dan seemed to just “give up” after the boat incident, etc) can be to some extent chalked up to the same shortcomings.

What’s worse is the anime’s reliance on tricks to further expedite the time-limited process. GC attempts to hasten development by resorting to numerous pre-established cliches throughout its buildup (cliches are so well known that the attendant characterization is implied), doing away with time-consuming subtlety in favor of quick cinematic cuts and character changes in order to convey both development and pivotal drama within the same scene, often falling short on both counts. When commercial concerns and conflicting viewpoints arise within the production team, as is always the case with projects of this magnitude and timeframe, this delicate imbalance is tipped erratically in every direction on an episodic basis.

For packing a story and cast larger than a 50-episode Gundam series, Guilty Crown has a bit more fodder on its plate than it can possibly finish without succumbing to vomiting or crippling food coma, so it’s best to enjoy it on a visceral level and fill in the numerous plot holes with the power of imagination. Marathoning the anime might help in that regard, since these undersized, rushed weekly tidbits do more harm than good from a continuity standpoint, especially considering the director’s implied assumption that every single detail and character interaction from earlier would be remembered by the audience so as to be used as viable pretext for further developments, which themselves may be rushed.

That’s Guilty Crown in a nutshell. If you can find it within your power to dignify this series with a rewatch upon its completion (assuming — a baseless assumption perhaps — that it finishes with some semblance of a meaningful finale), it may be worth your while. Just maybe.

• February 24, 2012 at 5:06 pmSaint

I agree it seems to me like they are packing in too much info and events per episode. If you think about it they might have been better stretching the first 12 into a 24 episode series and focused more on the development through the first half. Then if they did well enough they could have gotten another fresh 24 to properly develop stuff.

• February 24, 2012 at 4:49 pmYam

Best episode yet!

• February 24, 2012 at 6:30 pmstp

WTF did I just watched

• February 24, 2012 at 7:17 pmSecsuey

I seriously can’t find a fucking action anime with good writting these days..
    I MISS FullMetal Alchemist…

• February 24, 2012 at 8:36 pmKusabi

Then you should watch FMA: Sacred Star of Milos…

• February 24, 2012 at 7:24 pmRidia

Oh Guilty Crown. This episode feels like it really would’ve been great…if they had bothered to set up *any* part of it properly beforehand. Instead we have this: a Sooper Sekrit Organization Behind It All (That We Just Pulled Out of Our Asses), Inori is a monster and has a complex about it thus saying more words and having more character in one episode than she’s had in the past 17, Inori and Shu have an actual meaningful flashback conversation that sure would’ve been a poignant reminder of how close they are if we’d actually seen it when it happened instead of 10+ episodes after the fact, Arisa is now a bad guy and kills her grandfather who was kind of a jerk who only wanted to rescue her to marry her off but she still needs to die I guess, Daryl is in love with Tsugumi because they had a whopping one conversation in which she gave him a candy apple, but hey, at least we killed off those two assholes no one liked. It’s like this episode was written by someone who was given a thorough detailed outline of all the character development and story hints that had been scattered throughout the previous episodes and told to bring all those story lines to a head…and then it turned out that every single thing in that outline was changed or cut for time.

• February 24, 2012 at 7:40 pmX

Ok, who will the lamest male character of the year award go to?
    Shu OR Yukiteru?
    Hmm a really hard choice, I wonder if RC will actually do this?

I guess at least Yukkii is actually getting better for the past two episodes, while as for Shu, I don’t know where to start. It would be interesting to see what the majority of us viewers think.

• February 24, 2012 at 7:57 pmkurochan

As a few GC fan left, I can’t believe I’m going to say this… but this episode was terrible and didn’t really make sense. Okay, so they want to portrayed Inori as a monster, but they don’t need to do it literally, I mean what’s with those sudden pointy ears? And also about Haruka, so she done all those bad thing so that Shu will be free from his king power so that he can LIVE, BUT if you ask me her plan depends entirely on luck. I mean if Inori didn’t took Shu away when Gai is busy dealing with the bomb then he might get killed later, not to mention he even might die from blood loss. So much for a “plan”. The only reason the plan worked was because the anime’s director want is so.

And as for Arisa’s grandfather, how he can get to that place anyway? Isn’t it supposed to be guarded by the mechs if he can get in that easily then Shu didn’t need to go through all those sh*ts. And Yahiro too, when Shu’s in pain why he looked away as if he is thinking Shu got what he deserved when he IS the one that told Shu to keep the secrets about the voids.

All I can say for this series is… inconsistency.

• February 24, 2012 at 8:08 pmAnonymous

GC Fans truly are a dying…”whatever you want to call it”. Surprised there are any left given what the shit this show has been through lol.

• February 24, 2012 at 8:09 pmDa5id

How fitting that the 300th post of this thread is an actual fan saying the episode was terrible and made no sense.

• February 24, 2012 at 8:12 pmAnonymous

Mission Accomplished?

• February 24, 2012 at 8:25 pmDa5id

I guess…I honestly don’t know whether to be happy or sad about this. Usually people who dislike the show have to plead their case, like most of us have been doing for the past 17 episodes. Now all you have to do to know the show is bad is just WATCH THE SHOW. That’s got to be an accomplishment or something: “Longest Duration of Time Needed to Run Every Fan’s Expectations Straight Into The Ground”. Blood C did it in 12, GC has done it in 18. Who will break the record next?

• February 24, 2012 at 8:21 pmAvalanche

This is slowly reminding me of Nagi’s manga… The plot is just two ambitious, and they can’t really pull it through. Also, lets use every single trope we can possibly use.

Like I’ve mentioned before, I don’t hate this show and it has an interesting setting, I just loathe the fact that the writer’s haven’t been able to put everything in place properly.

I liked this episode. They effectively got rid of characters instead of just leaving them to vanish. The music and dialogue was moving when Inori went to sacrifice herself, and Shu’s personality pendulum just passed the realization that he needs to do something and is hopefully slowly moving towards badass.

Inori being a monster had actually first been hinted at around episode ten when Shu called her a monster and the genome song thing. It seems the writers were trying to be vague when it came to her and Mana. A bit too vague, because they are just now addressing the fact that she was having an identity crisis and then they solved it in a single episode. Bad planning. Any hints about her uncertainty were quickly brushed aside. We could see a little bit when she and Shu were in their garden, but then Yahiro confronted Shu about the attack on Arisa.

Speaking of Arisa, I loved her grandfather this episode. Her, not so much… She was borderline yandere for Gai, but then switched to alpha bitch once she couldn’t be with him.

• February 25, 2012 at 2:13 amcow

Yeah, it’s kind of sad how everything was hinted before in previous episodes or the openings yet the execution of it is pretty horrible.

I mean ever since opening 2, the whole arm thing with Shu grabbing to his right arm was in the opening sequence. But then again, that maybe stretching it a bit too far… I mean, I could say this show was just a dream by a pink haired high school girl when she was laying in a bed of flowers.

• February 24, 2012 at 8:21 pmliliput

I’d rather see Blood-Cn than this

• February 24, 2012 at 8:29 pmnoobite

300 comments + 13k views within one day? Seriously, is there any bad shows out there actually have as much exposure as GC? This is ridiculous.

• February 24, 2012 at 8:39 pmMatt

Does anyone remember a case of this happening before? I hear Blood-C was bad, but I didn’t watch that at all nor do I remember hearing much negative reception about it until GC came along. I actually thought Blood C was popular given that it ranked high on the RC poll when Divine was asking which shows he should continue to blog…

Suffice to say I think GC has brought about the worst I’ve seen in RC in the whole time I’ve been reading here out of all the shows I’ve watched.

• February 24, 2012 at 9:16 pmDa5id

You’re absolutely right, Matt. The whole week leading up to this, I’ve seen pretty much all positive comments on the shows I follow: Mirai Nikki, Rinne no Lagrange, Ano Natsu de Matteru, Black Rock Shooter, Aquarion EVOL, Gundam AGE…bleach and naruto get their own flak for their own reasons, but the rest have been pretty good to most…until this show comes around on Thursdays. Then the mood immediately changes. Either then or whenever this show comes up in one of the other show’s threads.

It’s crazy how bad a rep this show gets in comparison…but it deserves every bit of it.

• February 24, 2012 at 9:11 pmHutch Hutchenson

I love ett! I LIVE for this! The amount of bashing this series gets on here alone is so entertaining! Worth the week wait! :P

• February 24, 2012 at 9:15 pmShinji

If a second season comes along, do you think it will be called GC: redemption? Starting afresh without the WTF scripts or will it be simply a hardcore facepalming, hairpulling and screaming fest for viewers?

• February 24, 2012 at 9:56 pmpekpek ng shota ko

No one can beat Guilty crown

• February 24, 2012 at 10:41 pmdeafvader

Next episode preview images: Bondage, ass, man on fire
    Greatest thing this episode: End Card (what happened to Flat Is Justice?)

I think Divine should just leave the post as it is. It is great as it is.

• February 24, 2012 at 10:45 pmmochi

Yeah Divine. You can take a break this week.

• February 24, 2012 at 11:27 pmKagura

im glad that i am Inori’s fan from the start

• February 24, 2012 at 11:36 pmWhatsht

That determined face that Shu had at the end told me something, he is now fit to call the “True Name”(Seiyuu joke, anyone?)

• February 24, 2012 at 11:54 pmKusano

It’s fine Divine, just leave the post the way it is.

We understand, we understand….

• February 25, 2012 at 12:37 amschwegburt

I’ve had a revelation about Guilty Crown.

The writers and director watched the first episode of Haruhi Suzumiya and its hilarious film festival movie. They then thought they too should lampoon nonsensical sci fi animes with ham fisted slice of life interludes. Unfortunately, upon pitching the idea, the producers having all suffered from a string of brain aneurysms considered this a brilliant idea and fed them a huge budget with a prime time slot. Unaccustomed to managing such a massive wad of cash they fouled up making Guilty Crown “tongue in cheek” bad and simply made it a straight up “palm face” bad series.

If one examines the series closely, you can see the show’s original roots as a Level E-esque satire of sci fi high school animes.

• February 25, 2012 at 12:58 amDa5id

The worst part is that the concept of a Void is actually pretty interesting if you think about it. They just handled it like a sci-fi parody of a sci-fi parody would. I’ve even written a story about characters whose powers are based on their personalities and whatnot, but watching this has made me wary about whether or not it’ll come out the right way.

• February 25, 2012 at 12:42 amc2710

Yo Divine, this must be your shortest post ever and the only one and only 1 post in RC’s history that will ever garner an insane amount of comments.

Also, this post will have the honour of getting >300 comments w/i 24 hours. Dwarfing comments for madoka magica as well

• February 25, 2012 at 12:46 amc2710

Personally, it doesn’t do justice to Redjuice and Supercell. Speaking of which, i don’t like the singer. I’d rather have ClariS and/or nagi yanagi singing for supercell

• February 25, 2012 at 1:06 amAhas

I wonder how the staffs gonna explain all unlogic unexplained plot holes in just a few episodes left. GC is fun to watch, laughable, many say it has horrible plot and character development, but it is really popular and one of the most commented anime in its own term. Maybe because it is a really “interesting” anime. Although it has been really disappointing, hope it can finish decently

• February 25, 2012 at 1:54 amEGOiST

If only Hare didn’t die, all this wouldn’t have happened… We wouldn’t get a stone-cold, EVIL Gai and a good-for-nothing, no-guts Arisa!

• February 25, 2012 at 2:07 amDa5id

If only we didn’t have to substitute character development for “how characters react when people die”.

• February 25, 2012 at 2:13 amYanDaMan

Er…yeah, I dont even know what to say about this episode. Like, wtf am I watching? Am I even watching the same show anymore? Anyone? ….

• February 25, 2012 at 2:39 ammistress_kisara

Guilty Crown –>> Getting worse and worse (300+ comments)
    Chihayafuru –>> Getting better and better (70+ comments)

• February 26, 2012 at 3:29 pmleokiko

It actually makes a lot of sense. Chihayafuru is good, and Guilty Crown isn’t. People love to talk shit about about something than talk good about it.

• February 26, 2012 at 10:36 pmThe Moondoggie

Chihayafuru? Getting better? Or Getting Boring?

Chihayafuru could have done with a good romance. But from what I hear, it won’t be for a long time. Since I find soprts and slice-of-life anime boring to hell, I dropped it and opted for written materials instead.

But that went boring too. :/

• February 26, 2012 at 10:37 pmThe Moondoggie

I mean “sports”.

• February 25, 2012 at 2:43 amDin

The scene with Inori at the end is just so go goofy. It’s got this buildup, like, “okay, Inori is going to kick some ass now! She sure is! But she’s fighting giant robots. So how’s she gonna deal with tha–

Wha…? Wait. Wha…?

Oh…”

Guilty Crown keeps doing this thing where you think its already gone completely off the deep end, but viewer, no. You have not gotten there yet. You have not even begun to understand the deep end. We have four episodes left, let us continue this dubious journey.

• February 25, 2012 at 3:00 amAzure

anyone for a void romance ending providing our handicapped couple Shu x Ayase with their lost arm and legs?

• February 25, 2012 at 3:26 amRS456

I actually like Ayase x Shu pairing. With Inori there is still an issue with incest being Mana’s (Shu’s sister) clone or actually Mana without her memories intact. Inori could be almost perfected revival of a person that died due to losing control after being infected because her memories are not exactly intact and Gai is probably another almost perfected revival attempt with memories intact.

• February 25, 2012 at 3:32 amRS456

But I am glad Gai killed of the three that intentionally betrayed Shu even when they are treated better than the others and actually had no valid reason to betray Shu.

• February 25, 2012 at 3:42 amCybersteel

It’s amazing how Divine can rack up 300+++ comments with only a single sentence review.
    Sugoi!!!

• February 25, 2012 at 4:06 amRS456

I wouldn’t exactly say Guilty Crown is getting worse and worse with this episode. From what I can see it got better from the last 2 episodes and seems like it will get better. Next episode is titled Rebirth.

• February 25, 2012 at 6:15 amTan-Tan

I’ve only been really stalking the reviews and comments since Gai “died” but am I the only one who thinks Inori might have some alien thing in her that makes her voice particularly alluring to Shu? I…I wouldn’t put it past GC. Actually, that might make things have more sense.

• February 25, 2012 at 8:34 ammochi

I take up action to go and save Inori.
    But where can I get my right arm back? (lol Shu you don’t just find arms laying around. :P)
    Getting a hold of the last void genome (oh hi third genome), Haruka flees from the 24th ward.
    As Segai chases after her, his madness confronts the fates of the Undertakers.
    Wait for me, everyone.
    I have decided to fight, no matter how far I have to go and how much I am damaged.
    Next time: Atonement/Rebirth
    The Crown of Sins shall test me.

• February 25, 2012 at 3:46 pmBeedle

o-o that really what the preview states?

Guess there goes my theory of where the 3rd Void Genome is…

!?!?!?!?!?!?!—!!!!!!!!!!!

-calming breath-

I just realised I was about to rant at another oddity in the, er, plot, regarding the 3rd Void Genome, but I’ve decided since episode 16 not to think about such things and just enjoy the ride.

• February 25, 2012 at 4:10 pmmochi

Yeah apparently, I just got it from the internetz. Don’t know how accurate it is, but it seems to be.

Haha yeah just enjoy the ride.

• February 25, 2012 at 8:51 amdimasok

I have two things to say: Arisa is a WHORE and the new Gai definitely can better utilize Shu’s powers :)

• February 25, 2012 at 10:40 amLeticia

I really pity Shu. He’s been through a lot “thanks” to Gai, and now it’s precisely him (or not) the one who cuts him an arm and takes his powers, that sucks! Poor him.

• February 25, 2012 at 10:50 amId

I’m guessing at this rate, by the end of this anime. this series will have the most comment total.

• February 25, 2012 at 11:14 amGaav

This series is wicked. It is, no one can deny it. It’s almost as wicked as Code Geass. Now, why would that be? The answer is simple! CG/GC, same shit! Even the plot is somewhat similar, and we have the great C.C/Inori too! Main character being betrayed by *only* friend, or friends, whatever. Poor shu is going to die in last episode by the hands of Gui who will be allied with him yet again.

• February 25, 2012 at 12:09 pmNikku

I quit.

• February 25, 2012 at 12:29 pmvirox

Ok I don’t get why RC is getting worked by a PATHETIC and stupid series like this, all your rage is senseless cuz this series started off to be stupid. Anyway so what’s the point? Get over it and just go with the flow, you guys have stupid expectations for this series anyways. Man!

• February 25, 2012 at 1:27 pmmac65

I think Divine’s AWOL on this series…

• February 25, 2012 at 2:34 pmWhySoSerious?

Confession! I only watch this series for Inori’s smexy outfits. I stopped caring about the non-exsistent plot, the wishy-washy characters, and everything about this series a long long time ago. It’s helped me out alot. :)

• February 25, 2012 at 3:02 pmYanDaMan

You know this show got issues when even Divine doesnt want to blog this episode anymore LMAO.

• February 25, 2012 at 4:00 pmsuff

Yea… it’s almost 2 days already.

• February 25, 2012 at 4:21 pmtre

Well he was told to rest and he is.

To be perfectly honest I don’t even think doing a post or summary now is necessary. It’s already been discussed to pieces that whatever Divine might have to say, and judging from the tone of his one liner his reaction was on par with the majority, it’d probably be redundant now.

Probably more worthwhile for him to just take a break.

• February 25, 2012 at 4:12 pmNeko

wow they even managed to throw in vampire teeth for Inori.
    Really the writers are using ALL the tricks in the book, and really lost the plot long ago (if it ever existed, that is)
    Such a waste.

• February 25, 2012 at 4:34 pmsuff

Yuu’s Void is a bow. Inori’s Void is a sword… Saber vs Archer, obviously!!

• February 25, 2012 at 8:06 pmShuA

Wow, no writing but already 19k views and 378 comments…..

• February 25, 2012 at 8:16 pmnoobite

This site should drop Guilty Crown completely. I mean, obviously it is a sin for a “bad” show like GC got so many views/posts than other well-written anime in this blog. I am really felt sorry for those well-written anime for not getting the attention that its deserved…

• February 25, 2012 at 8:38 pmrandom viewer

True. But I doubt they’ll even consider dropping it even if we weren’t 4 eps away from the finale. Notice how readership and comments have suddenly spiked up since the introduction of Guilty Crown? I don’t know site statistics but appears that way. Not to say that it’s the only reason since we had other high profile shows like Fate/Zero but can’t help but think it’s one of them.

It is kind of sad considering that this being one of the most commented series on the entire blog (perhaps only beaten by CG?) that its only really had negative responses throughout.

• February 27, 2012 at 4:17 pmThe Moondoggie

Bad? Bad is when stuff gets boring. GC isn’t bad, you are still watching it.

Now Chihayafuru? That’s bad. Anime mirroring real life without a hint of the unknown or something too fantastic for real life = boring.

• February 25, 2012 at 8:26 pmsorry

Am I a terrible person for finding Inori’s beast mode hilarious?

• February 26, 2012 at 3:48 amWWWW

Divine : you diden’t post Naruto chapter 575 this week

• February 26, 2012 at 4:22 amDa5id

Yeah, I hope he’s okay. He did mention his new job was pretty tiring, so he’s probably burnt out at the moment. Take a break, Divine! You deserve it!

• February 26, 2012 at 7:32 amJD

I am just so looking forward for this anime to end. With the way things are – being beaten and downtrodden – I guess this anime will have a good ending.

If not, we’ll just have to pull out the Voids of the writers or whoever is responsible for this mess.

• February 26, 2012 at 9:20 amDarkRyter

At least the music’s good.

Really, really, really good.

• February 26, 2012 at 1:01 pmAxel

I knew there was a reason I was so delayed in watching this episode.

If I had watched earlier this week, I would’ve never been able to finish my homework due to a “horrifyingly shitty anime” induced coma. Honestly… I think we all know by now that the writers are on a combination of cocaine, marijuana, and LSD. This was an episode filled with random crap that didn’t make sense at all for the timing or given the events of the past episodes (all equally shitty). And all I can come up with is that the writers are all on drugs. Mawaru Penguindrum was more comprehensible than this crap and at least Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam only has one problem the hinders it’s potential (the whole female cast). This is seriously outrageous when I think about how excited I was when I first heard about this show. The original concept and plotline of Guilty Crown had soooooo much potential. This could’ve easily been one of the best shows this season. Could’ve been epic. Now all I can do is cringe and writhe in agony at the stupidity of what should’ve been an awesome show.

s/n: Yuu is probably the most consistent and potentially interesting character and we barely see him.

• February 26, 2012 at 3:03 pmmac65

Sir, your comment had me rolling on the floor!

Anyone know the BD sales of this thing yet?
      Did they manage to sell a dozen yet? I might pick up the series
      if it hits the Wal Mart DVD/BD graveyard bin.

Thank God for series’ like Another, Lagrange, Matteru, et. al.

• February 26, 2012 at 4:10 pmSaint

Here’s what I found since you asked (Omitted the rest after GC)

Here are the weekly DVD and CD rankings for January 23rd – 29th.

DVD
        *1, 18,697 18,697 One Piece Log Collection “Rocket Man”
        *2, 10,519 10,519 Gintama’ vol.7 Limited Edition

*9, 12,209 12,209 Inazuma Eleven Go Character Song Original Album
        12, *8,951 *8,951 Hatsune Miku Vocalodream
        17, *6,455 *6,455 Guilty Crown Original Soundtrack

Source : http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=396805

• February 26, 2012 at 5:20 pmThe Moondoggie

@Mac

Nope. I guess you won’t be seeing this is Wal Mart. Too bad, ya?

• February 27, 2012 at 4:12 pmAxel

Oddly enough, I’m sure it will be given to Americans as some epic sci-fi anime that is a must-watch for those who loved Ghost in the Shell (as if) and those who don’t know any better will probably love it. Personally, I want a hurl for the reasons I said before (it could have been so freaking awesome, whyyyyyy!!!). Don’t pick it up if you’re interested in watching something entertaining. Though I do suggest it to inspire you for the artwork. In that case, just download all the raws without subtitles and watch it like that. No use understanding what they’re actually saying. Much like pretty airheaded blondes (and I mean the airheaded ones, not the smart blondes. I know you smart blondies exist.) No need to know what they’re talking about! Just admire the prettiness and nod at the proper moments.

• February 26, 2012 at 2:31 pmGreegga

The last good and coherent episode of this series was when Gai died… period.

• February 26, 2012 at 2:36 pmKusabi

Welcome back, Divine.
    As you said, this ep is full of “interesting” development.

• February 26, 2012 at 4:06 pmBooto

I haven’t seen a single episode of Guilty Crown, but I like reading the negative comments.
    A bit of schadenfreude I suppose :)

• February 26, 2012 at 4:23 pmewok40k

Yeah, lets use B-2 in broad daylight, at low altitude, so any kid with a deus ex machina weapons can hit it…
    Oh and nobody noticed creation of the kill sat network and nobody in the world has ASAT weapons…
    My suspension of dibelief has evaporated.
    Other than that, it seems Gai was resurrected as total asshole just to make Shu look better. Poor Arisa, winner of worst misplaced love of the season award. BTW her grandpa was utterly badass. Sadly he brought katanas to a gunfight.

• February 26, 2012 at 4:26 pmbobet01

This is like the Justin Bieber of anime. :|

• February 26, 2012 at 5:13 pmZero

So should i be happy that i dropped this anime back at episode 5? Cause it looks like its turned into a complete mess at this point.

• February 26, 2012 at 9:51 pmLaughingMan

Oh you have NO idea out how bad it has become.

• February 26, 2012 at 7:05 pmsealouse

Well whatever happened this episode I really liked the tone of it. It was kind of like watching the middle of a movie. Also I’ve been saying all along that it seems like they’ve been writing this on the fly.

• February 26, 2012 at 7:14 pmrochichan

….I don’t know what’s going on anymore. D:

• February 26, 2012 at 7:32 pmSora no Kaze

While I’m not totally on the band wagon that this show is a hot mess… there are times where I feel like the writer had one plan… only to be screwed over with the multiple plots, sub plots and elements to the story he has to insert of enter into the plot. Honest to god, some people may be like what subplots… or plot even, but I honestly believe it was suppose to be a simple oh god, Shu is suppose to gather voids… and once and for all, put an end to Keido plan, and at some point… will fall into despair only for Inori to push him to fight on… oh not to mention there might be a twist to finding out the true mastermind aka our 2nd Void Genome user. Instead… we have death of Hare…to evil king… for like one episode… stupidly, included with crazy Mana take over… for it to be sort of disregarded… and Gai coming back making it even more crazy… to wonder who the hell are you 2nd Void User… are you really the master mind or not… or is it Keido… oh wait you can’t answer that question cause we have to deal with Gai… why Haruka is on their side, Keido, Crazy Inori/Mana, Betrayal of friends and death of Hare.

That said… I mean the plot is simple… Shu is going to save the world one way or another… it’s just gotten super messy. Twist are good… but too many just kills it… It’s like Bleach all over again. Like… if anything, it was nice they used Hare death as shock factor.. but the shortness of evil king Shu was too soon, and the fact they didn’t keep it for a while to build up resentment and betrayal among most of the student population is another problem. I mean… the hope I personally had for Shu was he would out of his tyrant mode still show some kindness to some fellow members which would have shown despite his change into becoming a somewhat tyrannical leader… he still shows moments of kindness which makes some members of the student body still believe in him. I mean I wasn’t expecting Shu to become a replica of Gai… but I was expecting Shu to become more firm, but still show that kindness that he had before, making him something different from Gai, but similar at the same time. I was picturing betrayal to be short and sweet, only for Shu friends and Inori to come save him.

Not to mention, Gai being thrown into the mess is just… like what the heck, while they could have done a good job with it… the fact that he’s completely different, just throws out that image of him being a good leader. I don’t disregard the fact that he would be a good villain, but if he was to come back as such, there should have been a split , because he still has that charisma and not just a plain douche… creating a somewhat bigger twist and creates an element of…. is he actually being used or not rather then the blatant… no shit he’s being used or at least 75% of me thinks he’s being used.

Maybe, they needed more episodes in order to create this, and I bet some people will disagree with what I would have liked to seen in the show, or expected… but my point is the shock factor is being overused to much. Sure it’s exciting… but it’s not meant to be overused. I’m not going to jump on the train wreck wagon cause it’s more off too many things are happening and the pace of the show is ridiculously out of control, but honestly… you should not let your small plots and shocks factor control your main plot, you stick with your main plot and add your sub-plots, elements and background where you see fit to make it a master piece. Cause right now… characterization (as noted earlier) has been thrown out the window, the pace is on speed of light mode (exagerated… but true) and additional subplots are haywire (like come on… Daryl x Tsugumi… I would have prefered to see more interaction which shows why Daryl character changes from being a douche to a jerk with a heart of gold type of person as he gets to know Tsugumi more and more rather than oh… he bumps… oh he’s interest… oh might as well save her destroying who he was suppose to be in a single special moment with Tsugumi). Regardless… I will stick with the show and hope for the best.

• February 27, 2012 at 4:33 amCroos

I see that some of our thoughts are parallel.
    Croos pats Divine.
    Now I can rest assure of what I think.

The really funny thing is that my cousin was playing the last part of Assassin creed. Things kind of bumped me that void existed it the past civilization before the world started.

• February 27, 2012 at 2:53 pmPrinceton

Disappointing? Yes. Bad? Not really.
    I dont think you can call a series that you’ve been watching for 18 episodes – BAD.
    If it’s REALLY that bad, and you still continue watching it, doesnt that mean its actually good?
    The way I see it, haters claiming to continue watching it for ‘humour’ and seeing ‘how bad it ends’ seem to deluding themselves.

The main problem? Sudden plot twists thrown into the series out of nowhere – it would have been a much better anime if it was given 50 episodes.
    Like someone said earlier, maybe you can justify these plotholes by inserting your own imagination (which isn’t really a bad thing).

People still like (heck, scratch that, they ADORE) Harry Potter even though Voldemort failed to kill for the n-th time (and the ending was so incredibly anti-climatic). Not a good example, but still, I didn’t think Harry Potter was THAT good of a story after the Goblet of Fire.

The MC wasn’t that bad. Most of his angsty-teen issues could be related to many people – it’s preposterous to assume that everyone is as self-motivated and determined as (like many of the people mention) Lelouch. There is a sense of realism here, because most of Shu’s action is actually motivated by self-interest/satisfaction. Unjustifiable benevolence and altruism is not really sensed or seen in this anime – which is a good thing – rather than “Oh look I got this shiny new power – lets change the world!” (cliche)

The anime seems to be doing quite well in Japan actually, and this could be attributed to the different preferences and styles Eastern and Western media have. Stop complaining and just enjoy the show.

• February 27, 2012 at 4:15 pmDa5id

• February 27, 2012 at 4:38 pmThe Moondoggie

Yeah. But these guys are just complaining. They aren’t even taking your stance.

My guess, they don’t see it as bad as they complain it is. These writers who made the show? They got experience such that none of us can match them. Who are we to say that it’s bad, when Japan and part of the western fans seems to enjoy it as much without seeing much disturbing fault?

I say if you haven’t dropped the show after 20, they don’t find it really bad.

• February 27, 2012 at 5:16 pmDa5id

Well, I guess if they’re just complaining and not looking at constructively or how it could’ve been better, then yeah, that’s pretty annoying.

But whether or not they have experience doesn’t make everything they do good. When you’ve seen enough movies or read enough stories to know basic story mechanics that are used to get a viewer or reader to connect and root for the protagonist as well as become involved and immersed in the goings on of them and those around them in a positive way…and then a story doesn’t have those…then it’s pretty bad at what it’s trying to accomplish.

But people will keep watching, not because they thought the rest of it was good by any means, but because they want to see if all works out in the end. Right now, that’s still up in the air with this show, but we’ll see.

Or they just stop taking it seriously and viewing it as a comedy. That’s So Bad It’s Good in a nutshell.

• February 27, 2012 at 4:25 pmAxel

Honestly, I don’t think 50 episodes could’ve saved this show.

I’m one who thinks it’s terrible, definitely, but I continue to watch for hope. The original concept of the show was brilliant. The bare nuts and bolts of it is what grabs me and holds me. Not to mention, its just damn pretty to look at. (I’m a graphic designer and a Libra, so I like beautiful things. Lol.) But all these damn random plot devices and twists and lack of characterization or character development… Indeed, that is what makes it an annoying show and kinda unenjoyable unless you enjoy yelling at pixels on the computer screen. I’m hoping some of the writers will sober up before the end and save the show.

I’m tempted to actually write my own version of this whole thing for my person enjoyment as a fan fiction.

s/n: I am 100% with you on Harry Potter being “Meh…” after the Goblet of Fire. Ending sucked too. Bleh.

• February 27, 2012 at 5:02 pmThe Moondoggie

This may sound a bit sarcastic and in a way it is but, if you are really for showing how terrible it is then why not make an original game/animated short(OVA?) with the same setting. It would just feel unoriginal if you are to make a fan fiction. And as a graphic designer you seem to be able to draw. So why not go all the way instead?

• February 27, 2012 at 5:51 pmSora no Kaze

Totally agree with you on needing more episodes… nor is it a terrible show… well to me at least. The plot twist that constantly pop up are the main problem for this 22 episode show. The thing is, despite the fact that I do acknowledge the MC issues and problems, and that they can genuine exist, but the way it was going seemed to focus on growing maturity and growing more firm in his decision, especially after going to save Gai and Inori with friends, while still being himself. I thought this for sure was going to happen after Hare death where we would see remnants of his old self secretly helping people over his harsh demeanor. Of course, I can see that in a real life situation, what the show portrayed makes sense, but I was thinking that it was going to focus on the ideal direction, that one can grow into a better person, even if he was once originally motivation as long as he/she puts he work and resolve to do waht he does. Heck, it was like you don’t have to be a natural leader, you just need some resolve to organize and set out what you want to do.

• February 27, 2012 at 7:52 pmSaint

I actually like the “weak and rather pathetic Shu who struggled with all he had” at least I liked it a lot better than when he got all full of himself like in the Jun part and the Tyrant part.

That said, their biggest mistake was actually making Shu the leader, as interesting as I find his character, he is in no real way cut out to be a leader of any sort. A rallying point maybe, someone to step in and save the day maybe, but to actually be someone who leads them on a continous basis was something he never really came across as for me.

Stretching things out in terms of number of episodes allows them to take more time to develop the stories, characters and themes. I think the biggest problem GC has had was they tend to cram too much into an episode and leave it to the audience to put 2 and 2 together, when we know most audience are lazy and just want to be spoon fed.

For the sake of example : Take the Hare death, if we compare it to the Shirley death from CG it comes at roughly the same time if you reduce it to proportion but it easily had twice as many episodes to develop to reaching that point.

• February 27, 2012 at 10:09 pmCal

Resolve and leadership and all that growing up is difficult to swallow at once – indecisiveness is a thing that we all face, and being risk-averse (i.e. not wanting others to hate you) is encoded in human nature. (Psychologist Daniel Kahneman won the Nobel Prize in Economics for this).

Have you ever pondered if sometimes the things that you do feels wrong even though you know it is rationally right?
        The character development is somewhat realistic in a certain perspective, but the plot twists are just *ugh*

• February 28, 2012 at 5:50 pmPokeNirvash

I don’t think that the Freemasons or Zionists are involved in any way, shape, or form. Kurachi was just comparing the Daath to them (since they’re all secret societies) in terms of age.

• March 1, 2012 at 12:04 amhoiut

Considering this page is so big it crashed my mobile browser (on a very shitty phone, I guess), I’m wondering if making extra pages might be a good idea? Something like 100-250 comments per page sound fair?

• March 1, 2012 at 1:11 amDa5id

Blackberry Storm? Crashes on mine too.

It’s actually pretty hilarious how much exposure this show gets for being so bad.

• March 1, 2012 at 10:33 pmThe Moondoggie

THIS WEEK! ON GC: SNEAK PEEK!

“So the Genome doesn’t just stop at extracting voids, huh?”

If this is so then they can act like the healers in Dual Arts!

• March 1, 2012 at 10:40 pmDa5id

And redeems characters that still don’t deserve it, while killing off characters that were actually cool. Nice going, writers. You’ve made Shu’s Void the Deus Ex Machina for the whole show.

• March 1, 2012 at 10:47 pmThe Moondoggie

Told you guys it was a Mega Manning Void inside him. XP

Too bad he isn’t interested in destroying the world :(

Wait: Mega Manning powers that reduces your life points… HAven’t we seen this one before?

• March 1, 2012 at 11:05 pmDa5id

And I told you, he’s the main character, so he’s gotta be (the writers idealized version of) good until the end. In this case, that means destroying a ton of shit and killing himself to rescue a girl that he is forced to care about.

At least they handwaved the incest theory away.

• March 2, 2012 at 12:24 amThe Moondoggie

Yeah well, let’s hope he does more than destroy a ton of shit: say half the planet and 1/3rd of humanity?

• March 4, 2012 at 8:48 amZenCross

I looked up the whole Daath thing just now after reading this; and I was led to this

Crown
    Wisdom
    Understanding
    Mercy
    Severity
    Beauty/Harmony
    Victory
    Glory/Splendour
    Foundation
    Kingdom
    The Abyss. – (Daath)

All this comes from here: The Tree of Life

I don’t know if anyone has brought this to the table, but now I wonder how high is the possibility that writers are trying to incorporate this into whole mix of things.

• March 14, 2012 at 9:32 pmAshen

What I took away from this episode: Gai is back, a lot less moral but just as badass, and he’s killing off or shaming all the folks I feel deserve it, so I’m more than happy with this turn of events.

The death of Arisa’s grandfather – at best my response was mild sadness, at worst, “um… okay. Are we supposed to care?”

For all the inconsistencies with his character, I’m liking the Daryl x Tsugumi subplot, so I’m rooting for them in the end.

The return of Kenji is always a good sign.

Haruka, like her son, is a horribly inconsistent character so I have tremendous difficulty feeling anything akin to sympathy towards her at all (though at least Shu seems to have stopped the a-hole routine, he’s still hopelessly in love with Ms. Moe Moe Fanservice, which I find questionable at this point).

Lastly: Annoyri became a Crusnik (ala Trinity Blood) with Void-wings and over-the-top eyeshadow, because as we all know: evil people wear too much make-up.

• April 4, 2012 at 7:38 pmAlex dino

Good episode, kinda felt bad for Inori… At least glasses guy didn’t die a virgin.

• « Older Comments