Tamako Market – 02 »

Tamako Market – 01

OP Sequence

Tamako Market   OP   01 Tamako Market   OP   02 Tamako Market   OP   03
Tamako Market   OP   04 Tamako Market   OP   05 Tamako Market   OP   06

OP: 「ドラマチックマーケットライド」 (Doramachikku Maaketto Raido) by 洲崎綾 (Suzaki Aya)

Tamako Market   01   01 Tamako Market   01   02 Tamako Market   01   03
Tamako Market   01   28 Tamako Market   01   29 Tamako Market   01   30
Tamako Market   01   31 Tamako Market   01   32 Tamako Market   01   33
Tamako Market   01   34 Tamako Market   01   35 Tamako Market   01   36
Tamako Market   01   37 Tamako Market   01   38 Tamako Market   01   39
Tamako Market   01   40 Tamako Market   01   41 Tamako Market   01   42
Tamako Market   01   43 Tamako Market   01   44 Tamako Market   01   45

「あの娘はかわいいもち屋の娘」 (Ano Ko wa Kawaii Mochiya no Musume)
“That Girl is the Cute Daughter of a Mochi Shop Owner”

Oh boy, you think you have KyoAni figured out when actually…bird.

A good chunk of the buildup to Tamako Market has been mixed. A common preconception has been, “It’s going to be another K-ON! Cute girls doing cute things!” Those preconceptions are not ungrounded–as a refresher, the director, character designer, and scriptwriter of K-ON! are all reprising their roles in this project. This of course triggers a flag, whether positive or negative, based on our opinion of K-ON! type shows. So if Tamako isn’t just a show about mochi making with cute girls such as Kitashirakawa Tamako (Suzaki Aya), then what is it?

In a conversational interview between Tamako Market’s director and scriptwriter seen here, the dialogue states that in its early stages, the show was to be a magical romance, but evolved into a homely and warm feelings show (partly because of the limitations of a one-cour format). While some may dread what may be perceived as a downgrade, not all elements of the first rendition disappeared, leading us into the first hint that things are not what they seem…

Dera Mochimazzi (Yamazaki Takumi), royal bird of a tropical monarchy, immediately stirs up the pot with his nobly fabulous, energetic, and clingy antics. Hailing from a country where sneezing into one’s face is a declaration of love, Dera’s antics are a foreign observance to the residents of the Usagiyama Shopping District and vice versa. This doesn’t excuse the fact that he’s able to talk, though surprisingly the entire shopping district adjusts to this trait quite quickly. With foreshadow that more magic may be coming to Usagiyama, or at least more tropically tan royalty, life isn’t going to be completely normal for this shopping district this season.

We’ve transitioned from a fairly normal slice-of-life with a mochi focus to a slightly wacky and ridiculous avian comedy (I already expect shipping). Alas though, for that’s not all. Hints of plot seeds have already made their way into episode one. Other than the magical elements, there already exists a more serious plot involving Tamako’s mother and the bond they continue to share beyond the grave. Judging from the reaction of coffee and record shop owner Yaobi Kunio (Tsujitani Kouji) towards the passing of Tamako’s mother, we can expect some exploration of this backstory in a more serious, yet ultimately optimistic tone. There exists as well as a possibly honest exploration of romantic adolescence through suspected-M Ouji Mochizou (Tamaru Atsushi), son of the rival mochi company. While the flavor of this specific plot point rings of a spin on Romeo and Juliet (dat feud), it may be interesting to see just how the “mochi prince” fares with his crush. The signs show that Tamako will at least go beyond the slice-of-life, which no matter the scope, is a plus in my book.

But how big that plus is going to be–no one really knows. The power that a direct-to-anime adaptation has on anticipation is very potent. Any genre can experience the benefits of original material, not just plot-heavy productions. This is perhaps one of the reasons why I look forward to blogging this show–the field of speculation widens without pre-existing material, allowing for a great discussion leveled for all of us. Even though the primary focus is on the common life infused with a bit of spice, I sincerely hope that with this opportunity to write original material, the writers create something heartwarming. I’m not expecting jaw-dropping conclusions here, but if they manage to draw out an emotional scene that warms the heart…I’ll consider that another win for KyoAni.

But even when looking at the show through those lenses if you hadn’t already, Tamako Market definitely will not be for everyone. I guarantee now that this is not a laugh-out-loud comedy where you are expected to roll on the floor, but rather this is one of those productions that are meant to be laughed at occasionally, where the majority is spent smiling at the positive interactions the characters have with each other. You’re meant to have a little smile when many of the people in the shopping district get together to give Tamako birthday presents, and meant to have a little chuckle when they totally forget about it due to Dera’s choking. This world is in no way supposed to reflect reality closely, but rather highlight the good parts of socializing, the “shopping district dream” that the creators wish to get across.

I believe the interview nailed the purpose of Tamako Market well when they spoke about the inspiration. Throughout the episode, Tamako is on friendly terms with all of the people in Usagiyama, where exchanges are casual and always full of warmth and charity. They wished to reflect that microcosm of a mid-20th century shopping district in Japan, where you could get the freshest of produce and ask how to prepare it at the same time, all while talking about the daily gossip of the district. You get this sense that everyone in Usagiyama is family, family with history, where you can ask favors of people casually without fear of judgement. In a sense, the tone of the show reminds me of Summer Wars or Shirokuma Cafe, where both communities meshed well with each other and played off of each other’s strengths. For some this may be off-putting for its lack of negative portrayals or perceived depth, and that’s fine. To say that there is no depth though is ignorant of the emotional depth held in portraying positive interactions between people. There is value in the positive feelings felt when watching people just be good for once, in seeing inspiration not corrupted by reality. Hanase Kaoru (Ono Daisuke), the Florist Princess, wonders what her next present for Tamako will be. Kitashirakawa Anko (Hidaka Rina), desires to just be called An and move away from the mochi business. Ouji Gohei (Tachiki Fumihiko) and Ouji Michiko (Yukino Satsuki) are trying to put a new spin on mochi…with limited success. And of course let’s not forget Makino Kanna (Nagatsuma Juri) who could possibly go Higurashi with that hammer of hers, and Tokiwa Midori (Kaneko Yuuki), who has that slight yuri vibe towards Tamako (hint: I’m only serious about one). In addition to the above, there is a sea of characters whose part will push the episodes forward with their “daily life” moments, creating an atmosphere that warms the heart. If you’re on the fence, give the show a couple more episodes and see how the pace and feel of the show affects you. It may be a bit weird to get into shows like this, but often the hook, if at all, grows over the course of the first episodes, compelling you to watch how their anthology of daily life concludes.

But alas, a decisive factor that may play in are the logistics and presentation. For a KyoAni show, the quality of design and animation are not disappointing. Though not as spectacular a showcase as more recent KyoAni titles such as Hyouka, Nichijou, or most recently chu2koi, the quality is still there, reminiscent of the animation energy closer to Clannad–exaggerated styles when necessary, but sticks to a fairly stable animation. Never will you see mochi made at this high quality framerate other than real life. I am especially impressed with how many facial expressions they manage to have Dera express in such a short time, as they were one of the more enjoyable things to watch this episode. The colors are pretty nice for expressing a cheerful shopping district, with a nice deepness to them that gives a warm atmosphere. The seiyuu, especially the main girls, have done pretty well considering their inexperience, and the supporting character haven’t faltered either. Ono Daisuke does a good womanly impression if you ask me, and Yamazaki’s interpretation of Dera is done really well–although he exudes a sense of snobbery, his ability to switch to a more empathetic state is pretty darn good. While nothing rings of absolute excellence here yet, the production overall is darn solid. KyoAni, as always, does not disappoint in this area.

It is then that the deciding factor lies in how original and heartwarming this production can be. Having been another release in the chain of KyoAni releases, a recent trend uncommon to their usual one-a-year release schedule, I had my doubts about whether the attention this original deserves was properly fulfilled. Having watched the first episode, the glints of potential shine, not as great as chu2koi did in its premiere, but as with all slice-of-life oriented shows, they need time to fully bloom their potential. If you’re looking for a show to warm your heart, come hither to Tamako. If you haven’t already, glance through the interview. If you find yourself entranced by the inspiration, watch onwards. If not, perhaps another show will serve your entertainment. For those who continue from this point out, I am in your care as we watch this show together, where no one really knows what projections will be shot next.

ED Sequence

Tamako Market   ED   01 Tamako Market   ED   02 Tamako Market   ED   03

ED: 「ねぐサ」 (Negu Sa) by 洲崎綾 (Suzaki Aya)

Tamako Market   01   Preview 01 Tamako Market   01   Preview 02 Tamako Market   01   Preview 03
January 10, 2013 at 4:57 am
  • January 10, 2013 at 5:09 ammac65

Looks like an interesting concept – that link you provided (Ultimatemegax’s blog) was great.

Wonder if it’ll be Natsuiro Kiseki-ish.

• January 10, 2013 at 1:47 pmJohnHayabusa

Amazing premier with lovable characters. Tamako and her sister are so moe. Dera the bird is not funny, but he is awesome as well! We need more Midori though.

• January 10, 2013 at 6:24 pmJohnHayabusa

*not only. My bad. > <

• January 10, 2013 at 5:12 amCybersteel

Calling it best anime of the season!!!

• January 10, 2013 at 9:22 ampokpok

we have to finished this show to decided don’t rush thing but I like this show just like all kyoani It make me smile all episode but honestly rewatched k-on and this show debut is more exciting not just cute girl doing cute thing but OMG hirarious indeed

• January 11, 2013 at 7:14 ampokpok

like and dislike is equal – very good !

• January 10, 2013 at 5:12 amBaKaYaRou

Welcome to the Parrot Show… XD

• January 10, 2013 at 5:18 amZephyr

Gotta say. Had no idea what I was watching here nor any idea what to expect from it. Lol.

• January 10, 2013 at 5:18 amLGrey

The vibe I got from watching this episode actually reminds me of “Sore demo Machi wo Mawatteiru”. It is as if this is a Shaft show with Kyoani visual.

Anyone else feel the same? ^^

• January 10, 2013 at 5:26 amKairoru

It’s like watching K-ON!! all over again, but this time it comes with a talking bird!

• January 10, 2013 at 5:29 amJoe

I can only imagine the bird’s fate if Urobuchi Gen was writing this.

• January 10, 2013 at 9:50 amKinny Riddle

That could be interesting when you consider the fact that Dera’s VA Yamazaki Takumi did Kayneth on Fate Zero, whose snobbery is on par with Dera, though Urobuchi-meddling means he’s been reduced to a luckless Mage whose fiance got NTR’ed (unintentionally) by his Servant while he got tactically KO’ed by an unconventional opponent.

Surely Yamazaki-san deserves a break from having his character tormented by Urobuchi again. ;)

• January 10, 2013 at 5:30 ambear

I must be in a bad mood. It just didn’t work for me. Can’t stand the bird and not too fond of the plot line so far. Kimochiwarui indeed. Now that the bird is fattened up, maybe a roast chicken for dinner?

• January 10, 2013 at 10:34 amstarss

Try it again when you’re in a good mood. And after you eat lots of yummy mochi!

• January 10, 2013 at 5:38 amYasuri

Chitanda .. What are you doing in the ED?

• January 10, 2013 at 5:56 amD

I’m curious to why this is so!

• January 10, 2013 at 8:20 amd-LaN

They are played by the same actress XD

• January 10, 2013 at 9:29 amKinny Riddle

Perhaps Chitanda is feeling curious about how the story’s going to develop. “Watashi, kininarimasu!” XD

d-Lan, no they’re not. Chitanda is voiced by Satou Satomi, Tamako is a newcomer called Suzaki Aya.

• January 13, 2013 at 7:42 pmd-LaN

I was joking abt the similar character design but thk anyways.

Also WT* r u guys downvoting me? IT. A. ****ING. JOKE.

• January 13, 2013 at 9:53 pmjunglepenguin

That’s what it means to get boo-ed off the stage. Comedians get that when their jokes are bad.

• January 10, 2013 at 7:08 pmAoihoshikage

Actually, at certain angles, I was seeing Akiyama Mio. Almost like the love child between Mio and Chitanda…oh Kyoani…

• January 10, 2013 at 5:41 amkishiOu

Tamako looks just like Chitanda in the ED when she unties her hair!! XD

• January 10, 2013 at 5:55 amD

Just your ordinary slice of lif-BIRD, BIRD NEEDS TO FIND BRIDE FOR HIS TROPICAL PRINCE.
    Sexy pose Bird Overlord without his Lancer class servant but gaining free food and lodging.
    Kyoani does it again.

• January 10, 2013 at 6:00 amSeedStriker

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• January 10, 2013 at 10:37 amstarss

The best we found from the press releases is that the bird “speaks fluent Japanese”. I suppose we caulked it up to being a parrot, repeating anything others say, and not have a name, or an actual personality that anyone can understand and just be fine with! I really wished they had made that clearer in the summaries before this show began! Right now it’s a pretty big mood whiplash for those expecting a K-On! clone with no supernatural elements!

• January 11, 2013 at 2:30 aminfo600

I have a funny feeling that the whiplash was intentional, seeing how the previews and pre air talks mentioned how the initial idea was more off to the magical side (shame the parrot was all that’s left)

• January 10, 2013 at 10:41 amsnappy

Yea, thought I was in for a treat, then that bird-thing had to go and ruin it all. I was hoping he’ll only be a one episode thing, but now I guess I won’t even give episode 2 a try :<

• January 10, 2013 at 9:15 pmanona

Here in this thread, we see why moe pandering is now abundant.

• January 11, 2013 at 6:33 amsnappy

Was I hoping to be pandered to with moe moe kyun? F**k no.

I was hoping it to be more of a Yakitate!!Japan/Yumeiro Pâtissière thing, where they’d go deep into the whole mochi making tradition. The difficulties of making different flavours, getting the texture right, etc.

But no, they had to make it all about some strange bird so full of himself that he actually gets bigger. (http://randomc.net/image/Tamako%20Market/Tamako%20Market%20-%2001%20-%20Large%2034.jpg)

No wants.

• January 10, 2013 at 6:14 amShuA

A really lighthearted anime with hidden potential
    I hope KyoAni could draw it out
    Btw, I really dig the OP and ED

• January 10, 2013 at 6:15 amThundershock81

Da Fuq did I just watch…………and why do I already know im now going to be watching this.

Every.

Single.

Week.

p.s. Do you or do you not know that the bird is the word? http://youtu.be/2WNrx2jq184

• January 10, 2013 at 6:22 amDigid

Dat’ Face http://randomc.net/image/Tamako%20Market/Tamako%20Market%20-%2001%20-%20Large%2005.jpg

I didn’t know what to expect from this show, but for the first episode not too shabby. Definitely had me grinning like a fool ^^

Hmm, for some reason when I saw the Royal Family, was reminded of Kaolla Su and her siblings from Love Hina…

• January 10, 2013 at 6:23 amWat

I’m reminded of the movie Ted, but instead of a talking stuffed teddy bear it’s a talking bird being played by the guy who sounds like Kayneth Archibald El-Melloi. And instead of consuming beer and drugs, he consumes mochi.

• January 10, 2013 at 9:53 pmFiShar

Mr. Fastwheels was reborn into a bird.
      He gotta reflect on his actions in Fate/Zero.

• January 10, 2013 at 6:28 ambaseone

• January 10, 2013 at 10:39 amstarss

“AND DEN! WE DROP PAPPA-IN-LAW! AND DA LITTLE WOMAN!! OFF. A CLIFF! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! KER-SPLAT!!!”

• January 10, 2013 at 5:06 pmMike Johnson

Jafar!

• January 10, 2013 at 6:32 amLightnDark

Before the OP:
    Le me: Hmm looks like K-ON

Couple minutes into the episode:
    Le me: Dafaq talking bird and Ono Daisuke voicing a female

End of episode:
    Le me: I’m FIRING MA LAZER..What did I just watch?

So, is this a SoL about mochi instead of music? Don’t get me wrong, mochi is awesome, but suddenly the bird shows up and added a couple of ?? into the series. This is some serious business by KyoAni. They could’ve omitted the bird dude entirely and made it a SoL similar to that of K-ON, but with the addition of “plot” into Tamako Market, whether it will flop or achieve success is now up for contention. TBH, right now I’m not too impressed with the antics of the bird, the mochi part actually interests me more.

Paraphrasing a conversation in IRC earlier (sorry I forgot who said what):
    So what is Ono Daisuke doing voicing a female character?
    KyoAni: “Hey we need someone to voice this florist” “I know let’s grab Ono Daisuke”

PS: Mochis r the best.
    PSS: Hidaka Rina scores yet another imouto role.

• January 10, 2013 at 7:30 amCarVac

Ono Daisuke voices a transvestite in AKB0048 and is fairly entertaining there.

• January 10, 2013 at 6:35 amdimasok

IMHO, boring as hell. I lost count how many times I dozed off… Definitely not for me

• January 10, 2013 at 6:41 amYasuri

Straying from the double take the ED has me doing, I enjoyed the episode. Aside from the talking bird who acts like he’s the hottest thing since sliced bread, the atmosphere of the show is just what we were led to expect here and then some with pretty likable characters. Hope it isn’t just my imagination but it seems like there’s room for the plot to really expand and surprise (more than it already has anyways) so definitely looking forward to what’s to come.

• January 10, 2013 at 6:48 amTopboy

Anko is so cute.That ponytail she had whenever looked so good it was criminal.

• January 10, 2013 at 6:52 amChris

That reaction Tamako’s wearing when she was patted on the back…reminds me of Mio from Nichijou…only that she’s wearing mochified version of the wooden cubes…

• January 11, 2013 at 6:15 amShinji

Please don’t remind me, I miss my Nichijou runs >.<

• January 10, 2013 at 6:58 amfragb85

That turned out better than I expected. I confess that I expected much worse from this. The PV’s never really did anything for me and I was expecting generic Kyoani moe.

My impression changed when they introduced the the fat and fab bird as a character. His bizarre presence, along with every character’s casual reaction to it means that the show now operates on some wacky cartoon logic. Its an oddly refreshing for a Kyoani show.

There’s also the Mochi. I love mochi, and seeing it made in exquisite detail that only Kyoani animators can do has given me cravings. Time to buy some Mochi when I get to a confectionery shop.

• January 10, 2013 at 11:12 amDvalinn

That pretty much sums up my reaction too. My expectations for this show were pretty low, given that this was from the guys who made K-On, and I was, charitably speaking, not a fan of that show. The PV’s weren’t putting my assumptions at ease either.

Then that weirdo bird started talking and prancing around the market and I had to confess, this is all pretty amusing. His antics are funny, the focus is on him instead of the girls and it’s all pretty cartoony. And yes, that mochi looks delicious.

I’m not expecting the world from this show, but I’ll keep following it to see where it’s going with this.

• January 10, 2013 at 7:02 amVaans

• January 10, 2013 at 7:13 amMukyuu

I didn’t expect that to happen at the end of the ep… What kind of freaking bird is Dera.

• January 10, 2013 at 7:05 amShuA

You’re right, Tamako Market definitely will not be for everyone
    Imo it’s more targeted toward family friendly anime and japanese audiences
    Btw, is Anko Azusa’s little sister ? XD

• January 10, 2013 at 7:08 amP Ko

I’ll probably get negatived to the ends of the Earth and back because that’s usually how these things work out, but eh, I found it very underwhelming. Apart from the bird, the majority of the characters are very lackluster in personality and come across as being pretty dumb. I’m not a fan of recycled generic character designs from older series either.

If this is going to be considered the ‘best of season’ then I can only face palm and shake my head. I guess I should praise Kyoani on pandering to the moeblob crowd though.

Just my thoughts about it~

• January 10, 2013 at 7:12 amName (required)

• January 11, 2013 at 2:28 amAngelus

Mochi is dangerous, it kills more people every year in Japan than fugu does. Ban it! Ban it now!!!

• January 10, 2013 at 7:16 amMukyuu

Well…I didn’t expect much going into the show. I honestly was going to only check this out because of that bird. Scans and CM’s/PV’s and all. Not disappointed at all. Though all the characters are nice…I find Dera~ to be the main attraction of the show (for me at least…others seem to hate him lol).

Either way will keep this show for Dera! Dera Dakimakura when?!

• January 10, 2013 at 7:19 amlegwkio

Feels like a light-hearted Hanasaku Iroha.

• January 10, 2013 at 7:46 amxephx

Even though I didn’t get the “I’m going to love this show” feeling that I got in the premiers of Hyouka and Chuunibyou I like what I saw. Also like always with Kyoani, loved the OP and ED.

• January 10, 2013 at 7:49 amgrt

the bird has similiar personality with excalibur from soul eater…or is it just me?

• January 10, 2013 at 12:38 pmAex

Fool!

• January 10, 2013 at 7:57 amAex

After the OP I was expecting more from the bird. Thought he’d be more fun, not such an idiot. Well, early days…

Otherwise, seems to be a very interesting series. Can’t quite tell what they’re planning to do with it, but right now I’m feeling more “Hyouka” then “K-ON”. Looks like there will be some depth rolled into the fluffiness, and possibly some magic. Normal birds don’t have projectors in their heads!… or talk!

• January 10, 2013 at 7:58 amAffy

• January 10, 2013 at 8:03 amdpphan

I was very surprised how much I instantly fell in love with the show. Dera is hilarious!

• January 10, 2013 at 8:05 amZannafar

Mochi x Mochi – best pairing of the season.

And what the hell is Kanna doing with that hammer?
    Shiro looks scared.

• January 10, 2013 at 10:33 amYalvyn

Her daddy is carpenter.

• January 10, 2013 at 8:08 amKinny Riddle

Chitanda, is that you? Tamako with her pigtails but dissheveled hair is a mix between Yui and Azu-nyan, but with her hair down she becomes a stunning beauty like Chitanda and Mio, though her hair is shorter.

While it’s still too early to make any judgment on this series I already love the ED. K-ON’s Don’t Say Lazy was the last Kyo-Ani ED that has such a first episode impression.

Some unexpectedly amusing castings include Ono Daisuke as the drag queen florist and Hikasa Youko as the Sushi Shop Obasan.

• January 10, 2013 at 8:21 amStöt

I was pretty sure the bird’s name was Dero Mochimazui, and is why they had many jokes about mochi not being mazui, but ummai. (mochiummai) etc. Anyway, the subs I got i from was [mazui]

• January 10, 2013 at 8:22 amStöt

[...]the subs I got it from*..

• January 10, 2013 at 12:49 pmZanibas

The romaji was a bit debatable, but I decided to use the katakana they provided in the credits. I think that the joke would be TOO obvious if they had named him “mochimazui”–the joke here is that it sounds LIKE mochimazui, but it’s not, hence the joke.

• January 10, 2013 at 8:57 amVaans

So Zanibas won the fight to blog Tamako Market?

• January 10, 2013 at 12:53 pmZanibas

Butter knives are pretty versatile you know :)

But honestly, the only reason why we had an iffy time with putting my name on there is because I’m unsure of how my schedule will play out when school begins (on the 20th no less). Although I hope it doesn’t happen, there may be another writer who takes up my spot when I’m in a pinch for this show ^^.

• January 10, 2013 at 9:26 ampokpok

Love her voice Tamako and everyone so cute I think no drama well we’ll see Tamako really sensitive person (good person) she cares about dat Bird too lol warm heart hope a warm heart anime for this serie chu2 is kind of KO me at the END

• January 10, 2013 at 9:58 amKinny Riddle

Recent Kyo-Ani works have been based near or around the Kyoto and Nagoya area (K-ON, ChuniKoi – Shiga, Hyouka – Gifu) though never in Kyoto itself, until now, with Kyoto’s famous temples and pagodas clearly visible in some scenes.

Kyo-Ani must be really serious with this original work if they’re basing the location on their homeground.

• January 10, 2013 at 8:49 pmMukyuu

Oh nice catch. I usually don’t think of locations all to much where slice of life like shows take place. So this is fairly interesting info.

• January 10, 2013 at 10:03 amFT5Havok

Atleast there’s a guy in this series who seems to like Tamako not like in k-on. ;)

• January 11, 2013 at 7:16 ampokpok

the hirariousness of this anime is surpass K-on already

• January 10, 2013 at 10:25 amAki-Chan

The ED song was wonderful….and what the hell is Kuroh Yatogami’s voice actor doing voicing a female florist????
    Defineitly going to continue watching this !

• January 10, 2013 at 10:29 amYalvyn

Hope to see some romance between Tama and Mochi.

• January 11, 2013 at 7:05 ampokpok

I was expected Egg market since it’s Tamako but whatever a chicken is fried too

• January 10, 2013 at 10:30 amstarss

That is ONE DAMN LOOOOOONG BLOG POST! :D

• January 10, 2013 at 12:56 pmZanibas

DAAAYYUUMMMM GIRL!

Judging from your smiley, I’m assuming that’s a compliment. Thanks! ^_^

• January 10, 2013 at 11:27 amcshin9

Why do all KyoAni productions look like K-ON? The characters in the first season of Suzumiya Haruhi didn’t look like K-ON that much, but do in the second season.

• January 10, 2013 at 11:46 amTrinity

No one is commenting that Hanase probably is a man? :O It’s a TRAP!

• January 10, 2013 at 7:18 pmbear

Nah, just a heavy smoker.

• January 11, 2013 at 8:35 ampuyogirl

and your point is?

• January 10, 2013 at 12:12 pmNobody

Great, now I’m craving mochi thanks to this anime and this video.

On topic: What person thought of Oh! Zee?

• January 10, 2013 at 1:45 pmJolly

Whoa!! Whats a BOY doing in K-On?!….Oh…no, wait…
    The first episode was pretty cute

• January 10, 2013 at 2:47 pmThe Amateur Alchemist

I don’t know if anyone noticed this about the ED song but…

• January 10, 2013 at 4:11 pmWanderer

So… lets have poultry for dinner, and let the girls get on with being cute without avian interference, shall we? ;)

(that was a joke, by the way)

In other news, at quick glances the girls really do like like slightly-disguised escapees from other KoyAni works. Almost makes me wonder if this town is like some sort of witness protection program thing, where characters go to start a new life when their shows end…

Tamako was really channeling Chitanda in the ED.

• January 12, 2013 at 2:51 amvoor

I found the bird to be very annoying and distracting from the usual KyoAni cuteness. This is supposed to be “Tamako Market” and not “The DeraDera Show, guest-starring everyone else”. Unfortunately, it seems like the bird is going to be the hook for the rest of the series.

• January 10, 2013 at 4:14 pmtaiakun

Personally, I feel that this series showcases the talents of Kyoani which they have built up since picking up K-ON!, yet managed to mix it with a story (only a tiny one at this stage) which feels fresh. Moments like these (http://randomc.net/image/Tamako%20Market/Tamako%20Market%20-%2001%20-%20Large%2038.jpg) brought back awesome memories from Nichijou, and other scenes mixed in had a K-ON! feel to it too.

In other notes – http://randomc.net/image/Tamako%20Market/Tamako%20Market%20-%2001%20-%20Large%20Preview%2001.jpg MEGANE Tamako!

• January 10, 2013 at 4:17 pmCodex

Not ashamed to say that I’m watching this just to fill the void k-on left me with after it ended. I seriously hope that this show will go far though.

• January 10, 2013 at 4:26 pmNutshell

What The Hell Kyubey doing in KyoAni show

• January 10, 2013 at 6:07 pmZanibas

Instead of contracts for wishes, he’s offering marriage contracts instead.

• January 10, 2013 at 7:11 pmunderbeds

Why does every anime seem fascinated by drawing x shaped buttholes on every animal? All in all another sweet Kyoani show with wonderful, but I do not think I could stay interested in it personally.

• January 10, 2013 at 9:26 pmEntrav

I had some good laughs at Dera. Looks like I’ll be giving this one more of a look especially since it’s a bit peculiar.

• January 10, 2013 at 10:18 pmMagoiichi

The laughs I got from this first episode was all from Dera.Everything else was just cuteness all in my face.

• January 11, 2013 at 1:58 amD

Remember to chew carefully when eating mochi.

• January 11, 2013 at 2:08 amRandom Hobo

• January 11, 2013 at 3:18 amMi-Chan

I had no expectation when I saw the anime. The first impression is: is this for kids? but I’ll take it back, the first episode was fun to watch and I liked it. It gave me the cheery note and I felt like an excited kid watching this. I’m not very much into birds talking and their eyes acting like a projector… doesn’t get into my head, but I thought it was magical. I think this show is great and I’ll continue to watch it, definetly.

Though, someone wrote here that Tamako looks like ‘Chitanda’ and yes! That’s what I was thinking, I was trying to remember who was it that she resembles.

I like it so far and thanks for your review.

Cheers,
    Mi

• January 11, 2013 at 5:51 amsadakups

Watching it for the bird. And those two fathers. Who said you can’t have the manliest of voices in a moe anime?

• January 11, 2013 at 6:50 amAll Fiction

Another fluffy masterpiece by KyoAni. Tamako is adorable. Tori is adorable.

• January 11, 2013 at 7:09 amBenigmatica

With this anime, Kyoto Animation has finally completed a yearly does of moe anime, from Spring (April 2012) to Winter (March 2013)!

Seriously, that bird could be the main character instead of Tamako…

• January 11, 2013 at 9:03 amstarss

I think the main reason this show (or, pilot episode, more like) is such a base breaker is because we were expecting it to focus on Tamako when it really focuses more on the bird! We’ll see how the rest of the show fares.

• January 11, 2013 at 1:19 pmAll Fiction

I think they are going for the fairy tale motif with the lowly mochi girl becoming the princess. The bird will have its uses but it won’t be the central theme of the show, IMHO.

• January 11, 2013 at 7:17 ampokpok

Midori for me ! chi can’t deside between 3 main MC

• January 11, 2013 at 10:31 pmJin

It warmed my cold and jaded heart. Impressive.

• January 12, 2013 at 7:06 amBoozerX

Yui clone FTW.

• January 12, 2013 at 3:19 pmEnnabun

Dera! Get off Tamako’s head NOW. D:<

• January 13, 2013 at 9:36 amRen

Looking forward to more episodes of this one.

• January 14, 2013 at 10:57 pmminhgurluver

So while Itsuki-kun is not in SOS Brigade or fighting monsters, he wears a blonde wig and sell flowers? Cool.

• January 23, 2013 at 11:38 pmkobato

that was long post really well written, wish i am write as good some day -.-

• January 26, 2013 at 12:54 pmIke Tuch

Great blog! Sorry to get off subject, but since Nashville is getting a lot of press lately, I’d like to find a great sushi restaurant or Japanese restaurant in Nashville TN. Have you heard of any good ones? There’s a new one called Nomzilla Sushi Et Cetera, but I’ve only seen a few reviews. Here’s the address of this new Nashville Sushi Restaurant , 1201 Villa Place, Suite 101 Nashville, TN 37212 – (615) 268-1424. Let me know your thoughts! Thanks!

• February 26, 2013 at 5:19 amDarkIceDragon

I am watching this to fill the K-On!! void, but I have to say this is pretty funny. And I don’t know if others noticed this but

But the ED was absolutely brilliant. Just the kind of song I like. Time to listen to a full version! I have high hopes for this one! ^_^