Monogatari Second Season – 18 »« Monogatari Second Season – 15

Monogatari Second Season – 16, 17

Monogatari Second Season   17   01 Monogatari Second Season   17   02 Monogatari Second Season   17   03
Monogatari Second Season   17   04 Monogatari Second Season   17   05 Monogatari Second Season   17   06
Monogatari Second Season   17   07 Monogatari Second Season   17   08 Monogatari Second Season   17   09
Monogatari Second Season   17   10 Monogatari Second Season   17   11 Monogatari Second Season   17   12
Monogatari Second Season   17   13 Monogatari Second Season   17   14 Monogatari Second Season   17   15
Monogatari Second Season   17   16 Monogatari Second Season   17   17 Monogatari Second Season   17   18
Monogatari Second Season   17   19 Monogatari Second Season   17   20 Monogatari Second Season   17   21
Monogatari Second Season   17   22 Monogatari Second Season   17   23 Monogatari Second Season   17   24
Monogatari Second Season   17   25 Monogatari Second Season   17   26 Monogatari Second Season   17   27
Monogatari Second Season   17   28 Monogatari Second Season   17   29 Monogatari Second Season   17   30
Monogatari Second Season   17   31 Monogatari Second Season   17   32 Monogatari Second Season   17   33
Monogatari Second Season   17   34 Monogatari Second Season   17   35 Monogatari Second Season   17   36
Monogatari Second Season   17   37 Monogatari Second Season   17   38 Monogatari Second Season   17   39

「しのぶタイム其ノ壹」 (Shinobu Taimu So no Ichi)
“Shinobu Time Part One”

After watching Sengoku turn into a completely out of control snake-aberration that apparently wiped out everyone in this show, this week’s episode was a pleasant reminder that SHAFT really knows how to reel us back in after traumatizing us. And I while I can’t speak for everyone watching, I know that I’ll gladly take any opportunity for more Shinobu-time. So as I slowly recover from all the amazing shots of her that we were graced with this week, let me try to form complete sentences as I finish this post from a stuffy airplane with people looking at me funny for watching anime.

First off, I thought that this week’s episode was absolutely outstanding. If I were to compare everything else we’ve seen thus far, I’d have to say that SHAFT really outdid themselves this week. Sure that previous statement might be a little biased since all of my favorite characters got a ton of screen time and the arc just happens to be Shinobu’s, but I doubt you’ll find a soul out there who wouldn’t want a little more of everything that we got. From the brilliant and crisp quality in every single shot to some of the best jokes Monogatari has ever used, this week’s episode was a welcome reminder of just how amazing this show can be. Because, I mean come on, when was the last time you saw Araragi actually make out with two girls?

But even if you don’t like any of the main characters or didn’t find jokes about twin-tails falling off funny, the other great part of this week’s episode had to be the villain. Literally described as darkness that’s given form by those who acknowledge its existence with the power to purge the entire city into darkness, it normally would sound stupidly overpowered but in this case it’s awesomely perfect for Shinbou’s arc. Because with the way I see it, it sounds like this thing is deeply intertwined with Shinobu’s past which means there’s either gonna be a lot of cool fighting scenes or a lot of emotionally moving scenes. Both of which make me that much more excited for next week’s episode!

Quick disclaimer — this is not a double post! Last week’s episode was a quick recap of the events that occurred in Nisemonogatari. But in terms of keeping things numbered correctly, I include both episode numbers since that’s the official count provided by SHAFT.

Also, I want to give a huge shout out Zephyr for taking the time to screencap this episode for me. I was in Wisconsin over the weekend and he took time out of his busy schedule to help me out — and I really appreciate it. So if you have a moment, don’t forget to thank him in the comments for being awesome!

ED3 Sequence

Monogatari Second Season   ED3   01 Monogatari Second Season   ED3   02 Monogatari Second Season   ED3   03
October 28, 2013 at 1:39 am
  • October 28, 2013 at 1:49 amRed HeartGold ZX

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• October 28, 2013 at 3:39 amcryarc

It needs another season to elaborate those events, 1-2 slot eps left from this season won’t enough to do the job <_<

• October 28, 2013 at 9:22 amNitro

nah. it was perfect and you’re just in denial.

• October 28, 2013 at 9:58 amSenjougahara Hitagi

Well son, what you need to learn is something else.

You should have at least known the fact that Koimonogatari will be included in this season, right?

This is the timeline for this season: First, Kabukimonogatari (time leap). Second, Onimonogatari (this arc) together with Nekomonogatari White, which happened at the same time. The third one is Otorimonogatari, and Koimonogatari happens last, which will be through Kaiki’s/Hitagi’s point of view, and which will also be a followup to Nadeko’s arc.

• October 28, 2013 at 2:03 amDa5id

>”SHAFT really knows how to reel us back in”

>numerous shots of half naked Araragi kissing and touching lolis

Takaii, I’m from To Catch A Predator. We’ll be taking you in now.

• October 28, 2013 at 7:15 pmRaine

“Why don’t you take a seat over there, Takaii?”

• October 28, 2013 at 2:05 amSol

Araragi the Italian.

• October 28, 2013 at 2:27 amthedarktower

that episode was..wow. my head’s still spinning around because of watching it. in short – mindfuck.

timeline of course has become a bit messy. well till now it was somehow OK.
    onimonogatari (or shinobu arc) is taking place after Kabukimonogatari (hachkuji arc), while otorimonogatari (Nadeko arc) is after that.
    but that’s not all Show Spoiler ▼

familiar with “kizumonogatari”? the second title of monogatari LN, and the first one in chronological order of the series. it tells the tale when Araragi met up with shinobu (and became a vampire). although it seems unimportant, it has become essential as we could notice from the epilogue of the ep. moreover, along the series (nisemono, nekomono) there are “references” to events in Kizu. so it’s become important IMO. too bad shaft hasn’t made the movie/special/whatever it is yet.

anyway, monogatari as always, first ep of an arc is full of riddles and hints we must pay attention. that’s why I said Kizu is important (for the record, I did read Kizu but I haven’t read onimonogatari, yet I can feel it’s important).
    we know the darkness is related to sniobu’s first subordinate. maybe it’s him. Show Spoiler ▼

it’ll be quite interesting

p.s
    Araragi got 2 kisses this episode…Nadeko?Hitgai is gonna kill him.

• October 28, 2013 at 2:39 amAnanas

Delolicious.

• October 28, 2013 at 2:57 amStiltzkin

Ononoki stole the show this week for me. Love how she always keeps a straight face (and being voiced by the lovely Hayami Saori no less).

• October 28, 2013 at 3:12 amFaint Smile

My most anticipated arc!..

• October 28, 2013 at 3:18 amEspada

best girl winning

• October 28, 2013 at 3:29 amEuzio

Tsundere vampire? XD

It kinda seems to me that Shinobu actually enjoyed that kiss before she starting complaining :P

• October 28, 2013 at 8:38 amBear

Enjoyed? She practically melted in his arms. He would be lucky if Senjougahara just killed him if she finds out about this.

• October 28, 2013 at 3:38 amechykr

Let’s see, this episode, Araragi has put his hands all over one sleeping lolis while consecutively kissing two lolis.

Still, technically speaking, one is 21 years old (Mayoi), one is 600 years old (Shinobu) and another one is undead for quite some time (Ononoki), making them all older by Araragi by default, does that make Araragi a True Lolicon or just simply an Undead Lolicon? XD

So far, the only truly underaged girls he’s ever “roughed up” were his sisters, which he claims he doesn’t feel a thing for (bar the Toothbrush Incident with Karen). He almost nearly went criminal with Nadeko but was intervened by Shinobu’s Anti-Lolicon Vampire Punch.

• October 28, 2013 at 3:40 amechykr

Ononoki-chan finally managed to somewhat avenge getting her ass whooped by Shinobu by kissing Shinobu’s man.

And the way she swooned over Araragi’s muscles would make Matsuoka Gou very proud. :D

• October 28, 2013 at 4:12 pmlivid

Not to mention the whole kissing event happened while she was deliberately stepping on Araragi’s shadow. Kinda like saying “In your face” :p

• October 28, 2013 at 4:17 amCybersteel

And Araragi was half-naked for no apparent reason… Atleast we get a double loli this arc…

• October 28, 2013 at 4:41 amRay

actually they explained it in the LN: the speed they used when escaping the darkness was to fast that it teared off his clothes

• October 28, 2013 at 5:40 amCrook

When Ononoki jumped? Then why are her clothes fine?

• October 28, 2013 at 6:19 amechykr

And it still doesn’t explain how Araragi managed to keep his boxers on. :)

• October 28, 2013 at 7:41 amEuzio

The laws of fiction kinda makes it such that no matter what happens, your undergarments will remain intact even if the rest of your clothes get blown off (though in certain cases, this law is broken. Mainly involving female characters….)

• October 28, 2013 at 11:07 amSaphirio

His clothes…
        Jacket as a blanket and jeans as a pillow.

• October 28, 2013 at 8:02 amRyan Ashlight

DAT KISS. . . !!!

But, oh sweet merciful goddess, my Senjougahara yandere senses are tingling like crazy! Run, Araragi, run!!

Anyways, that aside, an all-around awesome ep to start off my favorite character’s arc, indeed. However will our heroes manage against a foe that swallowed up Shinobu in her prime? No worries, for there’s no foe that the power of love can’t overcome!

. . . Except, mayhaps a crazy ass snake-haired girl who turned herself into a god, right? O__O

• October 28, 2013 at 8:21 amx

Well this episode certainly leave enough hints as to why Koyomi was out of the picture for much of Nekemonogatari Shiro :p.

• October 28, 2013 at 8:40 amBear

Given the way he looked when he showed up, this is going to be one hell of a ride.

• October 28, 2013 at 8:58 amElZenom

Kisumonogatari

• October 28, 2013 at 9:19 amLaughingMan

ARARAGI YOU MANWHORE!

• October 28, 2013 at 9:35 amRooserloom

hnngh

hnnnnnghh!

Hnnnnnnnnnghhhh!!!!

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGHHH!!!!
    *drowns in pool of nose blood

• October 28, 2013 at 9:44 amK2013

Araragi should be in jail xD

• October 28, 2013 at 10:52 am7godeohs

Question: I’m pretty sure Araragi is not immortal, but does have a much longer lifespan. Do we know how long and if he will age at a normal pace. Just wondering what that means for Hitagi and the reasonable possibility (or impossibility) of children given their future fate.

Also, if we looked to the far future (one where Hitagi is no more :( ) and one were to ship Araragi and Shinobu, how weird would that be? Assuming that Shinobu changes her appearance to a non-loli age, you’d still have the possibility of your girlfriend being able to live in your shadow. I think some people in relationships now might feel that way. Still, to have those two together it might be worth it.

• October 28, 2013 at 12:03 pmRyanAshlight

Meh, I don’t think it’d be all that weird at all, honestly; though, not to be a stickler or anything (just because I honestly think it’s important to point out), I’d hesitate to call Shinobu Araragi’s girlfriend or anything quite so mundane.

As Shinobu herself pointed out this very episode, she’s Araragi’s “lifelong partner,” putting her in a class all her own.

These two have (based on what snippets I’ve seen from Kizumonogatari) tried to kill each other, understand each other on a level that should make we mere mortals tinge with jealously, and have even pledged to die together.

Perhaps it sounds a bit strange, but I don’t really see Shinobu and Araragi as being two distinctly individual people anymore, and so it’s hard for me to view anything that the two of them do together as ‘weird.’

• October 28, 2013 at 12:04 pmthedarktower

Araragi isn’t immortal.
      neither he is vampire, nor he is completely human. you can say he is half-vampire, though according to the LN this term is wrong. unlike Episode (the character) which is definitely half-vampire, Araragi is a vampire-like pseudo-human, that’s why he has some features of vampire – regeneration and super-power (not like when he was vampire but compare to human it’s a huge difference) and more.

anyway…in nisemono, he was taking a bath with shinbou (so pervert!) and shinobu said it’s possible he’ll live couple hundreds years.
      we don’t for sure whether shinobu is right or just tease him in order to be killed by him so he’ll turn human.

so I don’t know what the future holds for him in that matter you pointed out.

p.s
      shinobu appearance won’t turn non-loli unless she regain her vampire-powers, which means a change in Araragi’s status as well. so it’s complicated enough :S

• October 28, 2013 at 12:19 pmlivid

Why do I have a feeling Ougi has something to do with this…oh, right, they showed her at the start of the episode. And whenever I see Ougi, I get the “Uh oh, shit’s gonna hit the fan” feeling. I say she’s the hidden Big Bad.

• October 28, 2013 at 7:11 pmsealouse

Speaking of Ougi and that whole intro. How can shots of someone running be so interesting? I think I’m becoming a little obsessed with her. Also that soundtrack. OMG! Hello?

• October 28, 2013 at 1:09 pminanis

wow that kiss… Shinobu melted rigth away (and shes SOOOOO CUTE)

Interesting episode.. lol Araragi always getting interrupted when trying to “play” with the lolis

One was to wonder tho.. what Hitagi’s reaction would be (then again.. i personally think Shinobu ranks higher in the “relationship scale” .. they are closer than married people o.o .. didnt know they were “mind-linked” ..

lol @ Ononoki-cha’s “revenge” (tho she does seem a little “too fixated” in Araragi’s muscles.. lol)

Sooo so far he’s kissed 2 people of his “Harem” (tho calling it an harem is wrong)

PS: and Shinobu’s CANT go to her ORIGINAL shape w/o killing Araragi.. but she can go to a teen-like form.. as she did in Kizu, she just has to drink more than what she normaly does (meaning Araragi goes deeper into “vamp territory”

• October 28, 2013 at 2:06 pmlivid

By the way, anyone knows what those chemical bindings were? At first glans, it looks like an alcoholic binding. They trying to tell us Araragi was drunk? :p

• October 28, 2013 at 2:46 pmCenosored

Loved this episode, and I find it interesting that Hachikuju and Shinobu are both deeply entwined in each others arcs…For some reason I never would have expected that, but it works out really well

• October 28, 2013 at 6:26 pmEri

THANK YOU! Someone actually noticed and mentioned it.

• October 28, 2013 at 3:49 pmSmithCB

I’m sorry, but given this episode, earlier discussions about Hnnnnnngh! and whales, it just gave me a whole new meaning to “Free Willy”…..!!!!!!!!!! If this was already mentioned, Gomen!

• October 28, 2013 at 5:41 pmPrimeHector

What if there’s an apparition hiding under her skirt?

• October 28, 2013 at 9:12 pmTakaii

Koyomi Araragi — Ace Detective

• October 28, 2013 at 9:57 pmGeoff

Never leave a stone unturned!

• October 29, 2013 at 5:44 amthedarktower

LOL
      he probably thought the “darkness” in under her skirt :P
      or most likely the whitness as in Hanekawa case XD

• October 29, 2013 at 7:00 amnexushero

• October 29, 2013 at 7:17 amYuriko

I heard that Shinobu won’t have her own opening because Sakamoto Maaya’s contract prevents her from doing character songs…

I’m really disappointed.

• October 29, 2013 at 8:28 amlivid

Really??? Aaah, and I was really looking forward to it…

• October 29, 2013 at 9:54 amdrzero7

Someone needs to put a Pedobear seal of approval on this episode. And man, at this rate, Araragi will go to jail. He ignored his GF and molested 3 lolis in one episode.

• October 29, 2013 at 3:32 pminanis

well.. technically only 2 since Ononoki-chan molested HIM…
      .. actually only 2 lolis since Mayoi-chin would be older than him if she were alive..
      … mm really none.. since Shinobu-sama is like 600 years old.

• October 29, 2013 at 3:33 pminanis

*actually only 1..

Gee typos

• October 30, 2013 at 11:27 pmIzan

actually its none, mayoi is technically 20+ lolz

• October 29, 2013 at 7:17 pmDangerism

So the Mayoi arc has lots of Shinobu, while the Shinobu arc has lots of Mayoi? Got it.

• February 13, 2014 at 2:45 amCCrandom

I know i’m a bit late but, If only that darkness had a Eyeball and said “Damn all you lolicons!” That would have made my day and explain why it was chasing Araragi.