Monogatari Second Season – 24 »« Monogatari Second Season – 22

Monogatari Second Season – 23

OP4 Sequence

Monogatari Second Season   OP4   01 Monogatari Second Season   OP4   02 Monogatari Second Season   OP4   03
Monogatari Second Season   OP4   04 Monogatari Second Season   OP4   05 Monogatari Second Season   OP4   06

OP4: 「木枯らしセンティメント」 (Kogarashi Sentimento) by 歌 – 戦場ヶ原ひたぎ (斎藤千和)、貝木泥舟 (三木眞一郎) (Senjougahara Hitagi CV: Saito Chiwa and Kaiki Denshu CV: Miki Shinichiro)

Monogatari Second Season   23   01 Monogatari Second Season   23   02 Monogatari Second Season   23   03
Monogatari Second Season   23   04 Monogatari Second Season   23   05 Monogatari Second Season   23   06
Monogatari Second Season   23   07 Monogatari Second Season   23   08 Monogatari Second Season   23   09
Monogatari Second Season   23   10 Monogatari Second Season   23   11 Monogatari Second Season   23   12
Monogatari Second Season   23   13 Monogatari Second Season   23   14 Monogatari Second Season   23   15
Monogatari Second Season   23   16 Monogatari Second Season   23   17 Monogatari Second Season   23   18
Monogatari Second Season   23   19 Monogatari Second Season   23   20 Monogatari Second Season   23   21
Monogatari Second Season   23   22 Monogatari Second Season   23   23 Monogatari Second Season   23   24
Monogatari Second Season   23   25 Monogatari Second Season   23   26 Monogatari Second Season   23   27
Monogatari Second Season   23   28 Monogatari Second Season   23   29 Monogatari Second Season   23   30
Monogatari Second Season   23   31 Monogatari Second Season   23   32 Monogatari Second Season   23   33
Monogatari Second Season   23   34 Monogatari Second Season   23   35 Monogatari Second Season   23   36
Monogatari Second Season   23   37 Monogatari Second Season   23   38 Monogatari Second Season   23   39

「ひたぎエンド其ノ參」 (Hitagi Endo So no San)
“Hitagi End Part Three”

Let it be known that I want to formally retract any negative things I may have said or thought about Kaiki. Because after this week’s episode and watching his rather blunt way of traversing whatever obstacles he encounters I can say that the once lackluster con-artist who never shows any emotions has somehow deceived his way into my heart.

Kaiki’s amazingly interesting escapades aside, there were a couple other things that this episode just did right. And one of those things was giving Senjougahara the attention she’s deserved since the season began. Seeing how she’s the main character’s girlfriend, you’d expect she’d be given a larger role than just a girlfriend we rarely saw or heard from. And after so many depressing arcs which focused on different girls that could have easily replace her, I wasn’t sure what to Senjougahara could do with her sudden return. Amazingly, in spite of all the other things I’ve already seen, barely a quarter into this week’s episode I was hit with a wave of emotions that I never saw coming. I mean, who would have thought that inside a crappy doughnut place is where Senjougahara would release a wave of emotion we haven’t seen since her introduction? And in front of Kaiki no less! Maybe I’m making a big deal out of a tiny situation but to see such a strong person breakdown and then swallow their pride to thank someone who once ruined their life is something that cannot be described with words but actions and SHAFT beautifully brought that situation to life. Something that I too am deeply grateful for.

The other thing that this week brought to my attention is that Ononoki can be awfully cute when there aren’t other girls that try to outshine her. Those yellow rainboots and googly-eye hat really accentuate her deadpan humor are nice and all but when she drops the deadpan is when things get real interesting. Be it because she’s impersonating someone or trying to be a little more hip, I can’t believe I never noticed just how awesome of a character she is.

All in all, another great episode narrated by the ever so enthusiastic Kaiki. With his awfully descriptive style of storytelling that sometimes tricks us into thinking he would completely abandon a Senjougahara that actually cried in front of him for the right around of money, he’s doing a great job of keeping us on our toes. Throw in that horrible cliffhanger he gave us just as the camera was going to show us what was in Nadeko’s closet and you can bet I’ll be eagerly waiting for next week’s episode. Now, where’d I put my doughnuts…

End Card

Monogatari Second Season   23   End Card
December 9, 2013 at 1:53 pm
  • December 9, 2013 at 2:06 pmflap

Kimagure Hitagi Road OP is best OP.

• December 9, 2013 at 8:41 pmretsurai

• December 10, 2013 at 3:41 amziffy

Not sure whether you forgot that this time it’s actually from Kaiki’s (an overly intelligent adult) perspective and not Araragi’s (a quite stupid, perverted highschool boy) or if you’re just stupid. So you really think that Hitagi, a simple schoolgirl, can put everyone on their places, even some genius-conman like Kaiki, who is older than her and thus has way more life experience? Obviously not. And I would really hate it if Hitagi actually had the upper hand against Kaiki because that would be totally unrealistic and she would also appear like an unnatural and perfect Mary Sue character. But her actually being stretched to her limits and being more vulnerable gives her character even more depth and variety and makes her more likeable in my eyes.

• December 10, 2013 at 9:14 amretsurai

• December 9, 2013 at 2:08 pmTechim

I feel bad for Araragi…
    Not because of Senjougahara secretly meeting with Kaiki without his knowledge,
    but because I’m starting to prefer Kaiki as the main character of any Monogatari arc now. :/

Now I’m starting to wonder about the backstories of the rest of the Occult Club gang: Kagenui, Oshino and Gaen.

Also wonder if Kaiki triggered a potential long-term red flag or death flag for himself by cheating on Gaen’s 3 million yen to him to back off on Nadeko’s case.

On another note, omgggggggggggg love that blend of 90′s style with modern style anime for the OP..and Shaft even threw in a duet as part of an OP! I think this it the first time I came across such an OP. :) Personally after checking out anime since January this year, I’d vote for it as best OP sequence of 2013.

• December 9, 2013 at 3:03 pmTarage

Remember, Kaiki is a liar and even admits that he is embellishing this story. Don’t fall into his trap!

• December 9, 2013 at 3:42 pmMgMaster

I know right?It doesn’t that Kaiki deals with problems using his own wits while Araragi usually just lets himself get beat up & regenerates with this vamp powers.

I like Araragi as a character but I really find Kaiki more interesting.

• December 9, 2013 at 3:54 pmAiras

Wits > Brute Force!

• December 9, 2013 at 6:39 pmfrubam

So Bats over Supes once again =03

• December 9, 2013 at 6:26 pmRaine

Kaiki has been in bad terms with Gaen for a long time now, this just drives the nail into the coffin.

• December 9, 2013 at 2:12 pmillusion

Kaiki MC of the year

• December 9, 2013 at 3:14 pmAiras

Of course Kaiki is awesome… he is the one telling the story :P

• December 9, 2013 at 2:42 pmAnanas

Yeah.

Peace, peace.

Hitagi is so much more likeable when she drops the tryhard act.

Kaiki is the man we need but not the one we deserve.

Yeah.

Pea-

• December 9, 2013 at 2:46 pmShiawase

“…has somehow deceived his way into my heart.”

Who is to say he didn’t plan that as well?

• December 9, 2013 at 2:53 pmTarage

The OP was amazing.

Also Hitagi’s wavering voice after she went to cry was amazing. Major props to Chiwa Saitō for being able to pull that off. That was a very good bit of voice acting.

• December 12, 2013 at 4:31 amHanabira.Kage

Her voice actress is excellent, after all.

• December 9, 2013 at 3:01 pmrukia

Great OP. Brilliant episode. Keep it coming. Anime of the Year contender needs to finish strong.

• December 9, 2013 at 3:07 pmInanis

lol that opening , for a sec even i fancied Kaiki x Hitagi! (i forgot the name.. but that OPening is an “homage” to other one.. anyone remembers which one? im pretty sure i have seen that opening before!)

About Senjougahara’s reaction… it may surprise some people and some may even think it came out of nowhere.. but is understandable since shes been on edge for days on end.

PS: meh so sad is gonna end x,x… hope season 3 comes soon

• December 9, 2013 at 3:09 pmEmD

Perfect Husbando takes the idol world by storm

Kaiki why u so perfect

• December 10, 2013 at 3:09 amziffy

Kaiki waifu of the decade.

• December 9, 2013 at 3:09 pmthedarktower

Kaiki is indeed much more awesome than we might have previously thought back there in Nisemono. moreover, it seems like this season kinda fix the impression of some characters such as Kaiki and Nadeko. definitely both are presented in a different light than before.

we also have Senjougahara. I’ve never imagined to see her in this stat. and in front of Kaiki??yeah – WOW. we saw her in the first arc this season with Hanekawa (Nekomono Shiro) and there was an interesting type there stating “her character is changing” and she was actually crying in front of Hanekawa that very ep (the first episode this season when Hanekawa went to sleep outside alone). so it’s very interesting to see how much it is still relevant and what changes Senjougahara has been through since bakemono (how much of Tsundere she was HaHa).

I knew all along that this season gonna end with Senjougahara arc. yet, with more episodes passed by, I was upset not seeing her around. that’s probably the only thing was a bit missing this season. I wanted monogatari 2nd season to have the most – more of our beloved Hitagi Senjougahara. well, all those exciting arcs kinda make up for this.

things gotten a bit complicated with Ononoki(every arc she is different HaHa) on behalf of Gaen getting into the equation. is the great con-master gonna try to deceive or make enemies with Gaen for sure? I was quite relieved he wasn’t going to leave Senjou with that. well, maybe he has a soft side XD but in that case..maybe it’s better to keep allies with Nadeko. or not if Gaen is so afraid of the consequences. it’s always funny how monogatari complicate a situation (Nadeko’s case), making it easy (Kaiki can deceive her) and then complicate it again. god, monogatari knows to do this so well.
    but that was an interesting thing back there. saying they wanted to have Shinobu as a god (wonder what they planned to do with Ougi..but whatever).

in the last moments, our detective Conan con-artist, found something interesting?I am still amazed how he jumped like that into the house. I didn’t think he is the kind of stunning guy HaHa Kaiki is surprisingly every time

• December 9, 2013 at 9:47 pmTechim

With Kaiki claiming to be all not involved with any actual exorcism work/combat back in Nisemonogatari, his short act of athletic-ness in this episode surprised me.

• December 9, 2013 at 3:25 pmlorenzo

This is probably my favourite arc from the whole of Monogatari series yet, and ironically it’s the one missing its protagonist Araragi, one of the most awesome anime characters ever…
    Kaiki, of all people, being surprised from whatever is hidden in the closet made for one hell of a cliffhanger.

• December 9, 2013 at 3:54 pmhashi

So now I feel like saying again that this series is a masterpiece. Anyway, Kaiki has the great advantage of being played by Miki Shinichirou (also Gintarou in Gingitsune). And I’m glad that Shinbou (and Nisio?) agree that Hitagi is the main girl here. I wish she still looked like Hitagi, but hey, I know it’s her. Yes, her weeping thanks was a great anime moment. And the OP sung by Chiwa and Miki was amazing. Carry on, Shinbou.

• December 9, 2013 at 4:03 pmZizhou

I know we’re not really supposed to acknowledge the existence of fansubs for shows that are being officially simulcast, but Commie’s retro yellow subs for the OP are just too perfect.

• December 9, 2013 at 5:35 pmSpike

Dat nostalgia….

• December 9, 2013 at 4:40 pmdiego

• December 9, 2013 at 5:14 pmTarage

Not sure where you got that she’s in love with Kaiki. They both clearly dislike eachother. Just because a girl thanks a guy doesn’t mean she’s in love with him. I mean hell, Kaiki observes properly that she didn’t care enough about herself to cry, but as soon as she knew Araragi was safe, her emotions overflowed.

• December 9, 2013 at 6:21 pmdiego

• December 9, 2013 at 6:29 pmRaine

But Senjougahara did had feelings for Kaiki, albeit it’s more of admiration and respect rather than love, especially Kaiki being Senjougahara’s savior from her family.

• December 9, 2013 at 6:48 pmc2710

Once again the fags are out in full force.

Forcefuly denouncing the characters w/o giving proper and due reason and justification.

Can’t be helped Tarage

• December 9, 2013 at 8:27 pmAnonymous

diego, are you utterly incapable of comprehension?

Whoever said being tsundere has to apply to romantic relationships. Have you heard of tsundere dads, who act tough but secretly dote on their kids?

Why should Senjougahara being tsundere towards Kaiki be interpreted as her having romantic feelings for him?

Second, after she said she’s his “dog”, Kaiki decided to make fun of her by which she quickly responded by telling him to go screw himself. Surely one could deduce the “dog” reference to mean simply her cooperation in helping him swindle Nadeko and nothing else.

Your stupidity is breathtaking.

• December 9, 2013 at 8:40 pmdiego

• December 9, 2013 at 8:43 pmdiego

• December 9, 2013 at 9:15 pmAnonymous

I suppose that makes you a dog as well, since you like to bark the same shit despite being shot down in style.

By your logic, I suppose you like it a lot if we shove a rod up your arse? We’d definitely be glad to oblige.

• December 9, 2013 at 9:22 pmSK

Nice try, but the Japanese name for that position isn’t doggy-style, so you’re wrong.

Ever watch FMA, how people refer to state alchemists as dogs? Just like they owe the government and must do as they’re told, Hitagi owes Kaiki for (the pending) rescue of Koyomi (and herself, but mostly him), so she’ll do as he says until graduation.

• December 10, 2013 at 4:30 amAnonymous

Is sex the only thing that ever comes out of your mind, you sick fuck?

As SK has put it, are you suggesting every time Edward or his friends in the military gets referred to as “Dogs of the Military”, they’re suggesting they’ve got their arses penetrated by King Bradley?

• December 10, 2013 at 6:00 amdiego

• December 10, 2013 at 7:59 amAnonymous

Now that’s hilarious, so citing any series as an example gets interpreted as “only thing we can thing of”. At least we can think of stuff, unlike your penis-filled one.

• December 10, 2013 at 5:12 pmSK

I used FMA because:
        1. The context of the word “dog” is the same.
        2. It’s a well-known show, so odds are people will understand the reference.
        You seem to be implying that watching FMA is for those without brains. I’m not a “it’s popular, so it sucks” guy, so if the example is appropriate, I have no problem using more mainstream shows. If you really want to be that guy, kindly turn off your computer/tablet/phone/whatever. This “internet” thing seems to be really popular, so it must suck, and I’m not really sure why you’re here.
        3. It’s an EXAMPLE, not the only show that has ever used the word “dog” in the same way.

I know this might be too much logic for a troll to comprehend, but I like to afford them the opportunity to see if they can raise their response to a higher level.

• December 9, 2013 at 5:30 pmThe Story You Don’t Know

I sure hope they bring back Araragi and show people again why he is Gahara’s boyfriend and is the MC of this series. Kaiki is awesome but Araragi has to be more awesome lol. He should really stop flirting with other girls and should be given more screentime with Gahara.

I think the reason why everybody’s loving Kaiki is that aside from he’s awesome, he’s been given almost all the screen time with everybody’s favorite girl, Gahara, for this whole season. They better give Araragi a chance to redeem himself unless they want him to be cast aside as a second rate MC compared to Kaiki.

• December 9, 2013 at 5:34 pmDualash

LOL, I love the reference in the end card XD.

• December 9, 2013 at 6:26 pmLuna

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• December 9, 2013 at 7:19 pmName (required)

yeah, this episode is good.
      yeah, you are boring.
      peace, peace

• December 9, 2013 at 7:30 pmLuna

• December 10, 2013 at 4:32 amAnonymous

Oh come on guys, yes, this Luna troll deserves all the downvotes he gets.

But “Name”, and “Anonymous” below for that matter, who were calling him out for what he is, surely don’t deserve to be downvoted like that, even though they were equally ruthless in their condescending language.

• December 10, 2013 at 8:00 amAnonymous

I am utterly disappointed by your holier-than-thou non-response, downvoters.

• December 9, 2013 at 8:30 pmAnonymous

Boring post.

It was like every other Senjougahara-hating troll… REPETITIVE Too much moaning about why Senjougahara is boring. Always the same old bullshit and nothing new to offer in terms of argument.

Do us a favour and fuck off.

• December 9, 2013 at 6:58 pmc2710

Screw it. I don’t care what the detractors say but I’m going to say it anyway.

Hitagi’s the perfect girl in the entire series and despite her “cheating (as forcefully postulated by detractors) ways”.

I don’t really see the other Monogatari girls as protective and proactive as her. Sorry but Neko-Shiro made Hanekawa a girl who is akin to Dr Jekyl – Mr Hyde. No doubt that Mayoi has her charming banter with Koyomi and Nadeko is the diabetes inducing airhead of a snake God.

Hitagi still takes the cake for being the best girl.

I have to admit that this episode had tonnes of HHNNGGGG moments. I’ve never seein Hitagi showing so much emotions nor her cute side. And that scene where she teared…. Possibly the best Hitagi scene ever. Heck… WAtching it again for a second time, it felt that throughout the scene at Mr Donut, she was about to cry anyways.

Now that’s out of the way…. I kinda like how Ononoki is… Her change in character realy took me by surprise and seriously SHAFT… Y U DO DIS TO US????? Ending the episode like that.

I almost flipped my cupboard!

• December 9, 2013 at 7:35 pmkyosuke

• December 9, 2013 at 7:39 pmc2710

What if I told you I’ve fallen in and out of love with girls like her since high school?

• December 10, 2013 at 3:11 amziffy

Shinobu best girl??
        lolnope. She isn’t even the best loli. Hachikuji is miles better and I even Ononoki is more entertaining than Shinobu. And not liking Senjougahara because she is “crazy” doesn’t make sense since the whole harem is basically a bunch of crazy girls.

• December 10, 2013 at 3:17 amc2710

I’d say Mayoi’s the best loli

• December 10, 2013 at 6:09 amkyosuke

• December 10, 2013 at 6:43 amc2710

Hitagi’s the representation of my perfect GF.

I love girls that are intimidating yet loving at the same time

• December 10, 2013 at 9:36 pmedru

lol most crazy?
        what about hanekawa, the girl who suppressed a lot of her feelings that they manifested?
        what about nadeko, the girl who became deluded enough to believe in another voice and kill the cast?

hitagi is actually the most normal character. clearly someone who just ignored the series and only watched this ep just to hate her.

• December 10, 2013 at 8:01 amRag

Yeesh people. Don’t become like the trolls and bash all the other characters because a few idiots got on Hitagi’s case.

And FYI Hanekawa is overseas (not comfortably snug with a warm family and a boyfriend) sacrificing her holiday trying to find Oshino and a solution to this problem with Nadeko, you’ll see next episode that she is plenty “proactive”. Man people who saw the anime really got things wrong about Hanekawa, or did you forget who was giving all that advice in Bakemonogatari?

• December 9, 2013 at 7:17 pmName (required)

i’m interested in kaiki love story

• December 9, 2013 at 8:01 pmechykr

Epic retro OP is EPIC. Brings back all the old memories of those anime I’ve watched in the 1990s. (I just revealed my age group, didn’t I?)

I think I lost it when Miki Shinichirou started singing in his crappy Kaiki voice. Miki can and has sung decent anime songs before, so this came as an absolutely hilarious surprise, making a stark contrast to Saito Chiwa’s beautiful singing.

• December 9, 2013 at 8:14 pmechykr

Kaiki, pat yourself on the back, for you have achieved what Araragi has not been able to (not yet anyway): Make Senjougahara look so adorably cute.

In front of Araragi, Senjougahara would always act as a mature and menacing femme fatale.

But that facade would not work on Kaiki, as he is first an adult and second a master conman. After all, he has swindled her family before.

Even now, much to Senjougahara’s annoyance, he has made full advantage of this fact and treated her like a kid, forcing her to abandon that facade altogether in order to get his cooperation. (First was Kaiki saying how as an adult, he wouldn’t be too bothered about the mischieves of a child throwing drinks at his face. Second was him saying as Senjougahara wasn’t a “lady”, he felt no obligation to find a restaurant for her. lol )

And when Kaiki did the unexpected and agreed to save her and Araragi, she could no longer contain her tears.

• December 9, 2013 at 8:34 pmsealouse

So wait. Is Gaen actually working on the Nadeko problem or what? It actually almost sounded like she could care less if Araragi and the others got killed. Hmmm. Was that snake body charm thing supposed to go to Shinobu instead of Nadeko?

• December 9, 2013 at 8:58 pmechykr

Ononoki-chan seems to be getting a lot of screentime this season. Perhaps putting her trauma of getting her ass whooped by Shinobu behind at last, she’s finally found the will to adopt a new silly persona: Yeah! Yeah! Peace! Peace! LOL

(Though that didn’t last long after an annoyed Kaiki threatened to kill her if she does that again. XD )

• December 10, 2013 at 4:37 amAnonymous

Gotta love the fact that Kaiki decides to ignore Gaen’s warning to back off from the Nadeko case… but still take her offer money anyway.

The most awesome “Have Your Cake and Eat It” moment of the series. lol

• December 10, 2013 at 5:53 amlanister

• December 10, 2013 at 6:13 amKashiwazaki sena

Ok I’m starting to feel bad for ararararagi with that OP and another meeting.. and the calls..

Yes I know she needs his help and It’s fine… but doing all this without koyomi knowing is just not right…

I feel bad for him.. he shoud be there too.

araragi and gahara didn’t talk to each other this season… the author must hate them..T.T

• December 10, 2013 at 6:42 amRazorstain

I want to cosplay Ononoki-chan now.

• December 10, 2013 at 7:11 amAnime OSTs

I love this episode, especially the part Senjougahara say thanks to Kaiki with that face after returning from the bathroom.

• January 9, 2014 at 4:52 amNasan