RandomC Podcast #05 – We’re Loving Summer! »« RandomC Podcast #03 – Host Club Edition

RandomC Podcast #04 – Spring Send-Off

Goodbye, spring. Well done, everyone.

Before you get too wrapped up in the new summer shows, let’s take a look back at spring and talk about the parts that were great (and/or not so great). Mainly great though. What can I say? We’re an optimistic bunch!

One of our most lively podcasts to date, join Zephyr, Zanibas, and me for a discussion about every series that crossed our silly little minds. Nothing about summer though! For some reason I’ve been a little busy, so you’ll have to wait three weeks for a discussion on those shows, or peruse our selection of series introductions and snapshots, available for your reading pleasure. Without further ado, enjoy the podcast!

P.S. Did I mention we’re on iTunes? It’s true! Spread the word and subscribe, because now you can get the Random Curiosity Anime Podcast sent right to the iTunes connected mp3 device of your choosing. Apologies for any technical difficulties in advance–we’re still getting used to this new-fangled technology!

Participating Writers

Download 160 kbps (52.62 MB)

July 8, 2014 at 10:31 pm
  • July 8, 2014 at 11:05 pmbakakubi

No Game No Life ftw!

I seriously want the second season, now! The wait is so hard. ;_;

• July 8, 2014 at 11:33 pmTopboy

This past spring anime season is make my new record.Normally I watched 2-4(at max) anime per season (by watched I mean from first episode till final episode,not dropped).

But this spring I watched 12 anime :
    -Isshuukan Friends.
    -Baby Steps.
    -Yowamushi Pedal.
    -Seikoku no Dragonar.
    -Captain Earth.
    -Bokura wa minna Kawaisou.
    -No game no life.
    -Soredemo sekai wa utsukushii.
    -Gokukoku no Brynhildr.
    -Sidonia no Kishi.
    -M3.
    -Broken Blade.

FYI this season I just watched only 4 anime (SAO2,Akame ga Kill,Aldnoah0,Tokyo Ghoul)
    So, It was great anime season for me.

• July 8, 2014 at 11:37 pmFlower

That was interesting…you all have very different tastes.

• July 9, 2014 at 12:57 amGuardian Enzo

You know what they say – small hands…

Small gloves.

• July 9, 2014 at 7:32 amStilts

You mean, proportionately smaller gloves for my size ~_^

I don’t know why I added a winky face to that. My life is out of control.

• July 9, 2014 at 1:29 amlytter

“RandomC Podcast #04 – Spring Send-Off | Duration: 60:00:56 – 96 kbps”

60:00:56???????

• July 9, 2014 at 7:52 amStilts

It was a really long podcast.

o.O

Fixed~

• July 9, 2014 at 2:11 amSK

I mostly enjoyed Akuma no Riddle, though I can’t remember most of the character names and I felt that the ending really didn’t fit.

• July 9, 2014 at 9:29 amAki-Chan

Agreed , for the most part. I think Sumireko (android girl) wanting to cook could be her trying to move on… I mean , it seemed as if she was way too obsessed with WHAT she was , so perhaps now she is trying to find out WHO she is? I don’t know if that makes sense , but that is what I think.

• July 9, 2014 at 2:33 amSauru

too many meh ending on many series in this season… ( black bullet , isshukan friends , bokura wa minna.)

• July 9, 2014 at 2:41 amvisissss

I must say i really agree with the 2 stand out anime, sidonia no kishi and NGNL. Other than that, nothing else really stands out, yet the shows are still watchable.

• July 9, 2014 at 4:23 amDa5id

Well, I guess now I can catch up on ALL THE SPRING SHOWS I PLANNED TO WATCH BUT DIDN’T.

• July 9, 2014 at 7:36 amStilts

I feel you ;_; That’s what I was doing last week. Not enough hours in the day.

• July 9, 2014 at 6:17 amwhemleh

I thin I agree with Zephyr about the quality of the season. Started off really well, but a lot of shows meandered around the mid-point and some ended quite poorly. I watched a lot of shows this season, and the ones I think I enjoyed most were Kawaisou, Nanana, Issuukan Friends and Kanojo ga Flag. They were definitely the ones I always looked forward to every week.

Also just on Zanibas’ concerns about Soresekai: If you thought there were pacing problems in the first couple of episodes, you’ll probably find it gets much worse for a while. From episodes 4 to 8 there are serious pacing issues that bog the series down. But from 9 on is probably the best paced and most compelling arc in the series, so it does feel worth it in the end.

• July 9, 2014 at 7:55 amDwarg

Is Zanibas Japanese?

• July 9, 2014 at 8:19 amZanibas

People mistake my ethnicity all the time, but no, I am not Japanese :(. I’m curious–what made you think that? :O

• July 9, 2014 at 8:24 amDwarg

Your voice, when Japanese guys speak English, it sounds really light, easier to describe, it sounds effeminate. So i thought you were Japanese speaking really good English :P

• July 9, 2014 at 11:07 amCybersteel

Zanibas is a TRAP!

• July 9, 2014 at 11:17 amKyosuke

Confirmed Zanibas is a TRAP :x

• July 9, 2014 at 11:19 amCrake

Last season I consistently watched 3 shows: Date A Live, Nanana and Ping Pong. So after watching them: I can say that Nanana’s takes 3rd (whole season was kind of lackluster and end was anticlimactic, no offense to Sugitan), while Date 2nd (well, I got what I expected, meaning fun). Ping Pong was by far the best of three.

• July 9, 2014 at 12:42 pmCybersteel

Cool its on itunes now too.

• July 9, 2014 at 2:51 pmKaioshin Sama

One thing I find interesting about this season is that by far and away the biggest show in Japan isn’t even mentioned once in this podcast, but then again it’s like it doesn’t even have a profile outside of Japan at all, but if you look at Japanese blogs and forums it’s practically all anybody talks about.

• July 9, 2014 at 4:06 pmStilts

Love Live?

• July 9, 2014 at 5:17 pmSK

I believe Kaioshin is referring to Jojo, based on what I’ve heard of it’s popularity in Japan. Then again, I don’t really keep track of these things, so I might be wrong.

• July 9, 2014 at 7:28 pmZephyr

Well, depending on the show you’re referencing… I mentioned Jojo at the very beginning as a show I loved from this season and Love Live was also mentioned as a show both Stilts and I generally liked near the end.

• July 9, 2014 at 6:57 pmLoneWolf

Guys what do you tink about Gochuumon wa usagi desu ka?
    I real enjoy it, it was a well balance CGDCT and lovable charaters

• July 10, 2014 at 8:51 amStilts

We talked about the briefly on the podcast. It’s a serviceable slice-of-life, nothing special, but enjoyable enough for those times you don’t want to think much.

• July 10, 2014 at 8:37 amDvalinn

Oh dear lord, don’t remind me of the ending to Mahou Sensou. What were they thinking with that one? Then again, given how much the rest of the show sucked, having an ending like that is almost poetically appropriate.

Not expecting a sequel for Nanana either, sadly. One of those many, many shows that could use a second season but never will. Sales projections kind of put it in the lower tier of sales (1000 with BD & DVD combined) and I haven’t heard of record LN sales and whatnot either. Awww.

Anyway, my favourites this season were NGNL, Mushishi and Sidonia in the top three, with Kanojo Flag and Nanana/Chaika at four and shared five. Not a bad batch, really. Though it was also the first season in a year where I dropped shows (M3 and Mahouka) so make of that what you will. There’s been better Spring seasons for sure, but I wouldn’t call it bad outside of that context.

• July 10, 2014 at 12:26 pmYou know, for kids!

Can this blog be optimized for mobile?

• July 10, 2014 at 12:48 pmStilts

It’s on our list, but due to the way the site is setup, we could (see: almost certainly would) break the whole thing if we tried to implement mobile optimization rashly. Plus it takes a lot of time to just keep up with what we normally do. Sorry I can’t give a more reassuring answer than that.

P.S. Is your name a Hudsucker Proxy reference? Because if so, you pretty much rock.

• July 26, 2014 at 4:05 pmstarss

Whatever happened to covering Free! and Space Dandy?

• July 26, 2014 at 4:09 pmwhemleh

They were never set to get coverage, just introductory posts. Enzo’s still covering Space Dandy on his blog, though.