「色々、三すくみです！」 (Iroiro, Sansukumidesu!)
“A Three Way Stand-Off Variety!”
Akeno san is extraordinarily beautiful – so beautiful that one might find her presence a tad too intimidating. The words “seductive” and “bewitching” hardly does her charm any justice. Akeno is not your archetypal stunner – she is an enchantress, a grip of passion and an irresistible caprice that would sway the hearts of even the most honest and faithful. Rias is still my number-one girl and I have no intention to change my heart any time soon – but Akeno sure is making a very strong case for herself and I’ll be the first to admit I wouldn’t mind having an affair with her. No, I don’t condone the act of adultery – but this is just one of those times when my sexual impulse (read: penis) speaks louder than my saner head. Akeno sempai is simply that charming and there really is no two ways about it. It’s not just her unrivaled physical appeal that sticks out – the Ikazuchi no Miko also boasts quite a mesmeric persona, not to mention an equally intriguing backstory to go with it. Evidently, there’s more to Akeno than just her smiley façade – she is profoundly ashamed of her Fallen Angel origins, an intense abhorrence that might have manifested as a form of self-contempt. This is perhaps the first time we’ve seen Akeno in all her delicateness – just like Rias, she is not the type who wears her despondency on the front and her decision to come above-board with Issei surely tells us a whole lot. Issei is not just an adorable kouhai that she dotes on – he is also a person whom she can trust, a real man who protected and reassured her when she was at her most vulnerable. A teardrop of utmost joy has unmistakably sealed the deal – Akeno has fallen head over heels in love with Issei, and she makes no attempt to conceal her true feelings. Both a sadist and a masochist, Akeno would make one hell of a mistress and there’s no doubt about it – the busty queen was dead serious when she offered to become Issei’s number-three, an adulterous role that she clearly revels in!
The deep affection that Akeno has for Issei is beyond doubt – but she is also fully cognizant of the relationship intricacies that exist. “Buchou, you’re the favorite for the number-one spot!” – I like to think Akeno’s right, and Issei will eventually come to see Rias as a special someone, or more specifically, his love interest. In fact, I have a sneaking suspicion Issei already does – but the young boy probably doesn’t know how to sort out his feelings just yet. Let us not forget – Issei’s first relationship didn’t quite pan out so well and he was brutally murdered by the very same girl who confessed to him. Issei is constantly in the spotlight – one after another, his many beautiful female (and male) companions have thrown themselves at him with ardent affection. It’s hard to figure out if and when he should take any of their attention to heart, and Issei is very likely just as perplexed as any of us. “Akeno’s Akeno, but who am I to you?” – Issei’s subsequent response was hardly assuaging, predictable but far from satisfactory. It was not an answer that Rias would like to hear, nor does it reflect his true feelings in a romantic sense. Clearly, Rias wants to be seen as more than just his esteemed buchou. No matter how distraught she is, Rias has always put up a very tough front – but deep down, there’s a yearning to be treated just like any normal girl, as a lover and as a soul mate. Issei’s quest to become a Harem King is not going to be an easy one – he has certainly made considerable progress, but my gut says we’re merely in the early innings of the romantic entanglements. Rias and Issei are both fraught with disconcertion and self-doubt, and there’s definitely room for them to grow and learn from all of this. His eyes may wander off and get sidetracked – but I truly believe Issei’s heart only belongs to one girl, and that person is none other than his crimson-haired princess!
As the romantic subplot has come to a pause at a comma, the big-picture narratives have conversely taken a big leapt forward. Michael (Hosoya Yoshimasa), a top dog and the leader of the Angels, is not nearly as big of a nerve-rack as I have thought. In fact, he seems quite amicable, going so far as to be bestow Ascalon, the Dragon Slayer Holy Sword, upon Issei’s arsenal – presumably, his friendly gesture serves as a form of peace offering, a step in the right direction to safeguard the status quo. The political ramification from all of this appears to be rather elaborate – the preservation of its status quo not only entails a no-war pact, but it is also a self-perpetuating move, a necessary feat to maintain their own preponderance in the world of mythos. It’s all a big display of game theory, and the line that separates a hero from a villain has become increasingly clouded. To complicate matters further, the political clash also comes with its own set of big egos, and both Azazel and Vali most certainly stand out in this respect. The head honcho of the Fallen Angel continues to be one of the most fascinating personas in the mix – he is a bundle of contrasts, cocky and flippant on one hand, but calm and composed at the other. His true intentions remain somewhat of an enigma – what we do know for certain though is that he is pacifistic in nature, quite unlike Kokabiel or even the host of the Vanishing Dragon. Vali’s growing discontent has become all the more apparent – his inherent belligerence is most likely the cause, and Azazel’s dovish disposition clearly does not sit well with him. It’s hardly an exaggeration to say there are many questions that remained unanswered – not least of which is the appearance of a new threat, a group of hooded mysterious beings who are slowly making their way toward Kuoh Academy! I am truly very impressed with the breadth and scale of its story – High School DxD has proven once again that it is not just a shameless excuse for fanservice. I have very high hopes for the final two episodes – the extravaganzas to come can only be grander and more larger-than-life, a spectacle nobody in the right mind would want to miss!
- “I’m a terrible woman” – Never! Akeno san is just perfect the way she is. That miko outfit, those blushing cheeks, her sexy posterior and that glorious oppai!
- “You can even use my lap as a hizamakura instead of buchou’s” – That lucky bastard Issei gets all the good stuff! Stealing Rias’ special privileges – she’s not a terrible person, but Akeno sure is a very naughty girl, ara ara ufufu!
- Teardrops of happiness from Akeno’s face! A piano theme of its first season’s OP, “Trip –innocent of D-” by Larval Stage Planning, was played during that scene. Very fitting, if I may say so.
- “I’m the one who’s most distant from him!” – My heart shattered a little bit when I heard her mutter those words. Rias onee sama needs a bear hug from Seishun otouto!
- Who’s the better twin-tail – Serafall or Irina? Gosh, I can’t make up my mind! I’m surprised Serafall didn’t attend the summit in her Maou Shoujo outfit. Gotta say though, she looks pretty damn hot in that green dress.
- A touching scene of bromance – Gasper might just give Yuuto a run for his money as Issei’s first BL companion. He’s not a trap, god damn it!
- Junk food for everyone! – It appears that Koneko likes them spicy! That reminds me, gotta stock up on some spicy tofu.
- Not quite as late as last week’s, but still very late – again, I’m very sorry. The compilation of Random Curiosity’s Fall Preview is well underway – that combined with more than 80 hours in the office have led to this delay. I’ve decided to significantly cut back on my contribution to the site next season – I’ll be blogging Kakumeiki Valvrave, One Piece and Fairy Tail, no new shows for me! Hopefully, I can meet my deadlines more promptly then! I’m going to miss High School DxD so much when this series ends. Let’s hope we get a third season – I’ve already pre-ordered BD Vol.1 from Amazon.co.jp, have you?
tl;dr: @SeishunRC – High School #DxD NEW 10: That miko outfit, those blushing cheeks, her sexy posterior and that glorious oppai! Akeno san is extraordinarily beautiful – so beautiful that one might find her presence a tad too intimidating. #Anime
Full-length images: 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 18, 23, 24, 25, 29, 31, 34, 39.
Eyecatch & Preview