The fall season is just around the corner (and it looks fairly promising to me), but it’s time for our writers to make their final assessments of Summer 2019 in anime. There are still some finales to come of course, but as this is our last “Up to Snuff” of the season, the poll reflects our assessment of the entire season, not just the last two weeks.
This week’s “Ask the Writers” question comes courtesy of Choya. And as ever we get some interesting answers (and non-answers). Thanks for looking!
Weekly Staff Poll
Ask The Writers
Which OP/ED would legitimately make you tear up if you attended a live performance of it?
- Guardian Enzo: “Koi Kogarette Mita Yume” (Cross Game ED1). Hell, it doesn’t even have to be live. Trivia – the only OP/ED I’ve ever seen live is “Ride on Shooting Star”
- Zaiden: “Toki O Kizamu Uta” (Clannad After Story OP), “Dango Daikazoku” (Clannad ED), “Koi O Shita No Wa” (Koe no Katachi ED), “Philosophyz” (Rewrite OP), “The Light Before We Land” (Gunslinger Girl OP), “Ashitaka Sekki” (Princess Mononoke ED), “Inochi no Namae” (Spirited Away ED). (Editor’s note: Zaiden’s nickname is now officially “Chidi”)
- Takaii: I’ve been to a good amount of anisong concerts now and I don’t think I’d ever tear up during a concert. That said, I REALLY enjoyed watching PERFUME and LiSA perform live and would die to see them perform live again.
- Choya: There are plenty I’d choose from, but I recently stumbled across an Instagram video of Kana Hanazawa performing “Renai Circulation” live. To be honest, I got a little emotional because it brought back fond memories of being a young weeb digging into subs for the first time and the audience interaction really hammered home how catchy and beloved the song is to so many others. I loved “Platinum Disco” the most, but I could see myself getting hyped up and teary-eyed along with the uber-fans if I were there.
- Pancakes: And skipping the question because none have made me tear up, so far at least 🙂
- Stars: “Departures” by Egoist, the first ED for Guilty Crown. The series itself kind of fell apart towards the second half, but the soundtrack was consistently evocative and tragic. As for the OP, probably Steins Gate. And the runner-up would be the Final Ed of Kagerou Days. “Summertime Record” by Jin.
- Stilts: “DAYS of DASH” by Suzuki Konomi, the first ED of Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo. Close second: “Koko Kara, Koko Kara”, Sora Yori mo Tooi Basho’s ED, and/or either of that show’s insert songs (“Haru Ka Tooku” and “Sora Wo Miagete”), all of which get me every single time.