Introduction – “A wild rice cake appeared!”

mochi

(Currently available only in the RC region)

Hello world! Stepping outside the ‘frozen foods’ section in local grocery stores, I’m very pleased to make your acquaintance.

So what prompted the sudden change of habitat? RC, of course! As a lurker, when Divine opened applications for new writers, I applied since it’d give me an opportunity to combine the two greatest love affairs of my life: anime and writing.

As far as my anime watching habits go, I definitely don’t watch as much as others, but I’m always up for suggestions – so if you have any good recommendations, please let me know! I’d love to have more series to sink my teeth into. This season I’ve been keeping up with Aquarion EVOL, Chihayafuru, Guilty Crown, NichiBros (did they ever come up with a proper abbreviation for it?), Mirai Nikki, Another, Brave 10, Black Rock Shooter and Inu x Boku SS. Technically, that last one’s been sitting in my hard drive, but it will be watched soon enough! There’s more info in My Anime List, but it is a little lacking… And um, please disregard the huge time gap between the series that are listed on there – there were a couple of years when I was forced to contend with shows airing in YTV’s Bionix block.

While I can’t guarantee I’ll watch everything, I also don’t have a set ‘preference’, per se. If anything, I’m willing to watch a series if it falls into either (or maybe both?!) of two categories: fabulous animation or good characters.

Ah, but wait! Before you write me off as shallow; watching something means investing time into it, and well… if I’m doing that, it’d better look good, at the very least. Pretty pictures aren’t the only thing that’ll get me to give something a try though, so rest assured I don’t always ‘judge a book by its cover’. Whenever I start a series, I really like to immerse myself visually and mentally. In the end, the factor that will make or break my opinion of a show is its characters; the plot can suck, but if I don’t connect with the characters, I find it pretty hard to stick with it. Their journey is what I find most interesting, and everything else comes secondary to me.

Case in point: I’ll watch anything as long as I find at least one or two characters I can really connect with. So, yes – I swear I’m not vain!

Aside from watching anime and lurking on the Internet, I like spending my time on the PSP, hacking away on RPG’s and some of the more text-heavy games if I feel like challenging my Japanese. Either that, or I’m breaking my bank account looking for Nendoroids to buy (I will purchase you sooner or later, Mami!).

In any case, it’s a real pleasure to be here and I hope you will find my writing enjoyable, starting with last week’s Guilty Crown!

Sincerely,
BakaMochi

March 14, 2012 at 10:39 pm
  • March 14, 2012 at 10:48 pmlcdsound

Bionix block FTW! Anyways welcome in joining the randomc! What was your fav from that block btw?

• March 14, 2012 at 10:53 pmBakaMochi

I’m not sure if Inuyasha was in that block when it first aired, but for nostalgia’s sake I’m going with that one, since it’s also the first dubbed ‘non-kiddy-ish’ anime I watched. I kindda stopped following it after a while though (around the time Witch Hunter Robin finished airing, maybe?)

• March 14, 2012 at 11:25 pmUnknownSoldier

Ah, those were the days. When YTV was the only source of anime in Canada.

And congrats on the writer spot :D

• March 15, 2012 at 6:47 amKentaiyoshimi

Ahh, I also remember YTV’s Bionix. It was my only source of anime on TV at the time. Inuyasha, Gundam Seed, and Bleach were my favourite ones airing at the time. I stopped watching when they began showing re-runs, and started searching the internet for other anime to watch.

• March 14, 2012 at 10:49 pmKiiragi

Sounds about right.

• March 14, 2012 at 10:51 pmXumbra

Welcome! I look forward to reading your posts.

And feel free to stop by IRC whenever you get the chance!

• March 14, 2012 at 10:56 pmoscuda

welcome.
    yeah, YTV was there where I first watch inuyasha.

• March 14, 2012 at 11:01 pmSaya

Oh hey I another blogger I recognize. :D I really loved reading some of your comments so it’s cool you’ve become a blogger now.

I’m with you there. ;A; Waiting for nendo Mami to arrive right now though :D

Oh wait so are you picking up GC for Divine then? Or only last week’s ep?

• March 14, 2012 at 11:12 pmBakaMochi

Thank you!

I’m with you there. ;A; Waiting for nendo Mami to arrive right now though :D

I was going to order her actually, but then she sold out on the day she came out on both AmiAmi and HobbySearch… T__T

Oh wait so are you picking up GC for Divine then? Or only last week’s ep?

I’m not sure yet, but he did ask me to cover last week’s so that’ll be out soon-ish?

• March 14, 2012 at 11:29 pmSaya

Yeah I also missed out on her on the first round of preorders. But finally bought her when AmiAmi restocked. :) They took so long to restock though D:

Haha I see. Well look forward to your posts~

• March 14, 2012 at 11:06 pmStilts

Welcome to the club, Mochi! Oh, and glad to see someone else using the RPG thing as their intro tag line :D

• March 14, 2012 at 11:13 pmBakaMochi

JRPG will never get old :P

• March 14, 2012 at 11:09 pmoliviaven

I was literally nibbling my mango ice cream mochi when I bumped into a certain wild rice cake (・・)
    I’m not sharing so hands off((((;゚Д゚)))))))!!!

oh and looking forward to your thoughts and comments on GC (^^)

• March 14, 2012 at 11:20 pmSummer Chills

welcome, ….looking forward to your post and insights about GC :]

• March 14, 2012 at 11:28 pmCRACKALACKA

DAMNNN GURLLLL U FINE.! LET ME GET IN UR CRIB!!!

• March 14, 2012 at 11:28 pmHastella

Oh, welcome welcome!
    I welcome you with open arms! ( ゚▽゚)/ You and are exactly the same. Even if the plot is iffy, falling in love with the characters is essential. Tsugumi for the win.

• March 14, 2012 at 11:30 pmplm123

“If I don’t connect with the characters, I find it pretty hard to stick with it…”
    “…last week’s Guilty Crown…”
    I’m sorry to say, but I think you’ve been watching the wrong show.

• March 15, 2012 at 12:39 amBakaMochi

I thought someone might say that XP

Believe it or not I stuck around for Shuu, although I won’t lie – there were moments I seriously questioned my dedication to stick with the show. Shuu did have his douchy moments after all. But he’s actually one of the characters that I was most invested in, and after his ‘turnaround’ in Ep 19, there’s no way I’m backing out of it now!

• March 14, 2012 at 11:31 pmCroos

Where have you been hiding all this years !!

• March 15, 2012 at 12:23 pmXumbra

In the frozen food section in grocery stores, of course.

• March 14, 2012 at 11:36 pmThe Moondoggie

New one. This is 4th right. So is Divine sending the notice emails one by one?

SO ye be taking GC huh? I’ll be looking forward to what you got.

Also any plans next season?

• March 15, 2012 at 12:42 amBakaMochi

Watching or blogging?

Watching – FATE/ZERO most definitely, and probably some others… but I’ve been waiting on that since Fall, so that’s the only one I can remember off the top of my head, haha.

As for blogging, I haven’t thought about it yet XP

• March 15, 2012 at 1:00 amThe Moondoggie

I meant blogging…

And since you are open to suggestions, might I recommend Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?, Accel World and Mysterious Girlfriend X?

• March 14, 2012 at 11:40 pmKmainichi

ヾ(@⌒ー⌒@)ノ

• March 14, 2012 at 11:52 pmFT5Havok

Welcome BakaMochi !!

• March 15, 2012 at 12:06 amverdant

Welcome to the team too! Darn, you’re not watching any of the shows I’m writing about, haha – alright, I made sure I didn’t say anything that Divine could make fun of me for…

• March 15, 2012 at 12:29 amJustinnnnnn

*trying to find any small bit in your comment to make fun of*

Welcome to the team too! Darn, you’re not watching any of the shows I’m writing about, hahaalright, I made sure I didn’t say anything that Divine could make fun of me for…

*gasp* Verdant has conspiracy theories!

• March 15, 2012 at 1:44 amThe Moondoggie

I’ll try doing Bible Code ciphers later to see if there is anything there Verdant…

• March 15, 2012 at 6:53 amCherrie

I’ve never seen Divine tease anyone else, maybe it’s a good thing ;)

• March 15, 2012 at 7:15 amMrRei

IRC is where we receive the Divine trolling sometimes..

• March 16, 2012 at 1:15 amCroos

If Divine starts talking in IRC best way is to escape at once or be trap in IRC until he passed out.

• March 15, 2012 at 12:04 pmDivine

I can already picture you fighting to hold back that single tear verdant.

There will be other seasons!

• March 15, 2012 at 12:10 amSchmee

Welcome *_*

• March 15, 2012 at 12:12 amJustinnnnnn

“…I’m willing to watch a series if it falls into either (or maybe both?!) of two categories: fabulous animation or good characters.

“Pretty pictures aren’t the only thing that’ll get me to give something a try though, so rest assured I don’t always ‘judge a book by its cover’. Whenever I start a series, I really like to immerse myself visually and mentally.

…Welps, you’re definetly the writer I’m most interested in hearing from up to now, be sure of that! I strongly feel connected to those things you’ve said Bakamochi(I already see people calling you either Baka or Mochi…let’s hope for the latter!).

I’ll eagerly await your first blog post Mochi, and best of lucks in this new phase of RC!

• March 15, 2012 at 12:44 amBakaMochi

Whew! I certainly hope I live up to your expectations!

I… hope it’s the latter too, haha

• March 15, 2012 at 12:13 amRyuuzaki21

Woah! we got another one! so, where is the complete list of our current active writters. :)

• March 15, 2012 at 12:16 amBeckett

Nichibros IS the proper abbreviation for it. The sooner everyone accepts this, the sooner we can all get back to the important business of laughing our asses off at every skit that Literary Girl is in.

I look forward to reading your posts. If I make any negative comments on them it’s only because Guilty Crown is awful, not because I don’t like you! Hopefully you’ll get a better show for the spring season ;).

• March 15, 2012 at 12:25 amMissingnomer

Aha! Someone who is interested in characters and their development also! I am also a character junkie. The storyline may suck, but the characters always make it for me. Clannad, Honey and Clover, and many other slice of life and romance animes always have to have good characters and development! I am not saying Clannad and Honey and Clover have bad stories! I am just saying that characters always make the series for me, emotional investment in Tomoya and Nagisa make it even more painful when tragedies started happening in their lives. I look forward to reading your posts Bakamochi! Welcome!

• March 15, 2012 at 12:51 amBakaMochi

Funny you mentioned Clannad because I did start watching it some time ago… you can never go wrong with tear-jerkers T__T

• March 15, 2012 at 6:53 pmSuppa Tenko

Hm… are you interested in Super Robot Wars?

• March 15, 2012 at 12:31 amgcsasuke

Hahaha you said you dont watch alot but your list for this season is alot! Nice to meet you ^^

• March 15, 2012 at 1:05 amDa5id

Divine’s so busy he has to drop all of his shows before the end of the season? I guess I can’t blame him. Can he at least give final impressions for when they end?

So BakaMochi, here’s the make or break question:

What do you think of Guilty Crown so far?

(i’m kidding, but I am curious what you’ve thought of this “like or hate” show)

• March 15, 2012 at 1:11 amThe Moondoggie

Can we please not go there for a while? And your choice of words:

“So BakaMochi, here’s the make or break question:”,

can be misinterpreted that you are already in the attack. (To which I hope, and believe, you’re not…)

• March 15, 2012 at 1:14 amDa5id

But…then I said I was kidding about that.

• March 15, 2012 at 1:33 amJustinnnnnn

Hush Da5id, don’t scare away the new writers!

…Or at least not yet; only then we’ll take over!

• March 15, 2012 at 1:42 amThe Moondoggie

I got this funny feeling you applied as a writer Justinnnnnn and…

@Da5id:

Thus I quote myself:

“To which I hope, and believe, you’re not…”

• March 15, 2012 at 1:53 amDa5id

But…kidding…joking…fascicious…not meaning what I say…aioufbasidasidaisdjasjkn

• March 15, 2012 at 1:58 amThe Moondoggie

@Da5id:

Yes, yes… I read that.

• March 15, 2012 at 2:09 amDa5id

Don’t crack, Da5id…if you crack, your internet reputation will be irreparably blistered…

• March 15, 2012 at 9:49 amJustinnnnnn

Nay Moondoggie, I didn’t apply. Struggling here with university…The only thing I’d be really interested to blog would be something short, like Naruto, but that’s already being covered, and by a great guy too :)

• March 15, 2012 at 12:06 pmDivine

I’m actually very busy this week because tomorrow’s the beta deadline for my project.

I’ll probably be back to blog the finale of Guilty Crown though. BakaMochi’s offered to cover last week and this week’s episodes for me.

• March 15, 2012 at 1:19 amJusta_Dream

Welcome BakaMochi! Like Da5id, I’m also wondering what you think of Guilty Crown so far and the rest of the eps to come ^_^

• March 15, 2012 at 10:29 amBakaMochi

You’ll see soon enough ;)

• March 15, 2012 at 1:23 amKaz

Hello, BakaMochi! I like your perspective on how you watch animes. ^^, I’ll be looking forward to your posts! Welcome, new blogger. =)

• March 15, 2012 at 1:26 amc2710

welcome

• March 15, 2012 at 2:05 amKusabi

Welcome to RandomC.
    Yay for watching Carnival Phantasm. What’s your favorite character in Fate series?
    And yay too for watching Yu-Gi-Oh!. I thought no one in RandomC watch that shows because it seems too childish. What’s your favorite card(s)?

• March 15, 2012 at 2:10 amDa5id

I’ve been watching Zexal since the start of the Duel Carnival arc and…it is at least better than GX, I will give it that.

• March 15, 2012 at 2:35 amThe Moondoggie

I didn’t get to see Zexal but I did like the original and GX. And I play too.

• March 15, 2012 at 2:51 amKusabi

Don’t know if you two also watch it.
      What do you guys think about 5D’s? The synchronizing system is pretty confusing to me.
      And what’s your favorite card(s)?

• March 15, 2012 at 2:55 amDa5id

Yes, yes I do watch it!

5D’s was pretty ridiculous, what with the motorcycles that played card games and didn’t kill the driver instantly. But the plot was pretty deep for a Yugioh spin off and it made it a pretty fun watch.

• March 15, 2012 at 3:22 amKusabi

That’s the point I was trying to ask. The motorcycle match. Actually, I haven’t watched 5D’s yet. I get the gist of it from playing the games and watching Yu-Gi-Oh!: Bonds Beyond Time recently. My head’s hurts from the whole “synchro” thing.
        Is 5D’s and Zexal worth watching, not only from story aspect, but also from delivery of matches as well?

• March 15, 2012 at 3:44 amDa5id

5D’s is, yeah. Not sure about Zexal yet. I was kind of disillusioned when the main character went super saiyan.

• March 15, 2012 at 4:15 amThe_Magus_Killer

@Kusabi: *raises hand* I’ve watched every Yu-Gi-Oh! series (including the three movies) from Duel Monsters onwards and I am currently watching Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL (although Yuma, the main protagonist is getting on my nerves with his ineptitude in dueling). I also duel in real life ranking tournaments. Nice to see fellow Yu-Gi-Oh! fans here on RandomC. =)

I use synchro-heavy decks online and in real life. Why is the whole synchro thing confusing?

• March 15, 2012 at 4:50 amKusabi

@The_Magus_Killer: Real life ranking tournament? Sugoi.
        Well, basically, I’m too lazy to understand the basic of synchro. I prefer the old “offering-fusion-ritual” style to summon stronger monsters. I think I’ll understand more if I watch 5D’s later. Btw, what’s your favorite monster?

• March 15, 2012 at 5:15 amThe_Magus_Killer

I live in Asia/OCG region, so Konami hosts ranking tournaments on Saturdays and Sundays in certain malls and card shops. I believe the USA/European/Western Hemisphere/TCG equivalent is the YCS.

Favorite Monster (from the anime): Ultimate Ancient Gear Golem.

Favorite Monster (from my deck IRL): I actually have two; Karakuri Shogun Burei and Karakuri Great Shogun Bureido (both of which are Synchro monsters).

Synchro Summoning means adding the level of a “Tuner” monster with the level(s) of one or more non-Tuner monsters to bring out a Synchro monster from the Extra Deck. For example, I tune my level 3 Karakuri Komachi Ninishi (Tuner monster) with my level 5 Cyber Dragon (non-Tuner monster) = Karakuri Great Shogun Bureido (Level 8 Synchro Monster).

I hope I was informative. =)

• March 15, 2012 at 6:19 amKusabi

Thanx, you were informative enough. So basically, synchro = fusion (without Fusion card)+ ritual. We need required monsters (1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner) and their levels must reach or exceed the level of Synchro Monster in Extra Deck in order to summon it, right?
        But, I think I’ll stick with the old concept when I play Yu-Gi-Oh!5D’s Tag Force 6 later. Hope my Destiny Boards will kill my opponents in only 5 turns. ^_^

• March 15, 2012 at 7:26 pmSuppa Tenko

Lol, I still use the basic deck from 5 years ago. Don’t really have a strategy, just do things as I go along.

• March 15, 2012 at 2:12 amCybersteel

Ohoh, the fourth blog holder has finally shown itself. Pleasure to make your acquaintance.

• March 15, 2012 at 3:07 amDaniell

Ohaiyo! so which series started ignited your love for anime? :)

• March 15, 2012 at 3:08 amDaniell

I meant to say which series ignited your love for anime :P

• March 15, 2012 at 10:30 amBakaMochi

I have no idea… now sure you’d be able to tell from MAL, but half the shows are really old kiddie shows that I grew up watching, so… probably one of those?!

• March 15, 2012 at 3:52 amnagi

Welcome to RC! So, are you joining Cherrie’s harem? :3

• March 15, 2012 at 3:56 amZanibas

Mami-san nendroid? You HAVE to pix once you get it. Welcome fellow Twindrills fan!~

おはー、もちさん!始めまして!どんなVNが遊び終わりますか。 You said you played text-heavy games, so I assume that’s included, right? :3 (if my Japanese was bad…forgive me >_<)

• March 15, 2012 at 10:55 amBakaMochi

Mami is… hopefully in my near future?? And…

大丈夫です!私も日本語がまだ苦手ですからもんだいないです :) And as for VN… I haven’t played any so I wouldn’t be able to tell you XPP

• March 15, 2012 at 4:05 amJiCi

Nice to meet you ! I’m eager to read your opinions on RC !

• March 15, 2012 at 4:09 amThe_Magus_Killer

Welcome to RC! That makes 4 of you new writers. Only three more and the Holy Grail War Masters whole new bunch of RandomC anime bloggers will be complete.

Looking over your anime list, it’s nice to see another fellow Yu-Gi-Oh! anime watcher. Do you also duel in real life? =)

• March 15, 2012 at 10:48 amBakaMochi

No, but I do play some of the Tag Force games… 3/4, to be more specific. I mostly played with a Synchro Deck, but… it was terribly built haha.

• March 15, 2012 at 12:49 pmCybersteel

I like using Crow’s deck though. But modified it a little.

• March 15, 2012 at 5:09 amshamaticgrl

Welcome aboard! I’m thrilled to read your thoughts on GC (even if plently of ppl have low opinion on it). One can only hope it can redeem itself >.<

• March 15, 2012 at 5:53 amEbisu

Welcome! That’s the first quote I understand where it’s coming from so you should really be awarded a heart-warming welcome.
    You have Gundam in your MAL but still I wonder who will be the Gundam expert for Gundam Age because there should be one… or not.

• March 15, 2012 at 6:39 amxRichard

Welcome! Have fun blogging

You seem to be quite open about the shows you watch and the medium in general. Do you play VNs? If positive, Have you tried the F/SN VN?

That game is the shit.

• March 15, 2012 at 10:52 amBakaMochi

Who hasn’t?! Although I haven’t played the VN (I prefer console games) I have played Tiger Colosseum, Battle Moon Wars and will get to Fate/Extra someday.

If you haven’t seen my IRC nickname, I can tell you that Saber is my favorite girl.

• March 15, 2012 at 6:42 amCherrie

Mochi! Finally decided to post your intro =) I didn’t know you were covering GC, heavy shoes to fill. Don’t worry, compared to a lot of others my MAL is also lacking =(

• March 15, 2012 at 10:53 amBakaMochi

I sat there for a really long while trying to remember the shows I watched XDD It was hard ;–;

• March 15, 2012 at 1:24 pmCherrie

I basically went on everyone else’s list and checked off the anime that I saw too =) Makes it a lot easier haha!

• March 15, 2012 at 7:04 amMrRei

Another welcome and good luck BakaMochi!
    Anyway… * Throws a pokeball at BakaMochi..

• March 15, 2012 at 7:23 amdeafvader

Could have at least been nicer on his pride and use a Master Ball.

• March 15, 2012 at 7:10 amKentaiyoshimi

Welcome to RC! It’s nice to see that we have similar tastes in anime. I also feel animation and characterization come first, unless the anime is especially strong in another category like plot.

Really looking forward to your posts.

Mmmmmmm….. mochi….

• March 15, 2012 at 7:17 amdeafvader

” some of the more text-heavy games if I feel like challenging my Japanese”
    Hmm, i wonder what this hints at…

• March 15, 2012 at 9:19 amInfinitas

Welcome.

• March 15, 2012 at 9:53 amjrj

well, you probably have heard it so many times, but welcome and thank you for becoming a writer :)

now we just need to get you into the channel as well :3

• March 15, 2012 at 10:31 amgrey

AH! that picture is so adorable! :) welcome.

Looking forward to seeing your perspective on GC!

• March 15, 2012 at 11:39 amZen

Welcome, nice to have another author who knows Japanese!

• March 15, 2012 at 11:47 amKmainichi

うれし!!!

• March 15, 2012 at 12:06 pmStereoman

I’m running out of proper greetings so I’ll just copy paste everything!

Awesome, looking forward to working with you! And as a fellow newcomer, I wish you good luck.
    Let’s do our best! :]

• March 15, 2012 at 12:21 pmLuxor

May your pen fly fast and words stay sharp!

• March 15, 2012 at 1:00 pmmaddoki

Welcome :)

• March 15, 2012 at 1:17 pmNebs

Danshiko. Danshiko is the proper abbreviation for “the Daily Lives of High School Boys.” ;)

• March 15, 2012 at 3:36 pmMaichain

Welcome to Random Curiosity :D
    I look forward to reading your posts c:

ps: I used to watch Bionix all the time too !

• March 15, 2012 at 4:21 pmMushyrulez

Welcome…

…to the dark side.

:o

• March 15, 2012 at 5:55 pmTonameki

Welcome to Random Curiosity Bakamochi. I am loking forward to your post and I hope that you’ll have a good time writing for RC.

• March 15, 2012 at 5:58 pmTonameki

Seriously braind…beep… today -.-”

• March 15, 2012 at 9:02 pmN

Welcome!

• March 15, 2012 at 11:53 pmhoiut

Welcome to the fold! This is a place where it IS advisable to let your random curiosity get the better of you. Onward!!

• March 16, 2012 at 12:51 amBlux

Woo, good luck with your blogging! I’m looking forward to it, since you also watch anime with characters you can connect with, like me :D. Btw, are you a Hetalia fan by any chance (with your Canada picture)? If so, i’ll love you even more!

• March 16, 2012 at 12:56 amIsolence

Welcome, i loved your GC post ;D

• March 16, 2012 at 2:24 amHagiri

Welcome to RC and enjoy the ride~

• March 16, 2012 at 6:08 amFel

Gotta say, I love your name!!! Welcome!!!

• March 16, 2012 at 7:41 amCloud is Not Amused

Never feel guilty about wanting pretty pictures, Mochi. Anime’s a visual medium–why shouldn’t it look good?
    And, speaking of the PSP, have you played Trails in the Sky? Or Corpse Party? I have no one to discuss with. *sadface*

• March 16, 2012 at 10:16 amJulio

Although, I don’t agree in your taste in anime I appreciate that you joined RC. Welcome!

• March 16, 2012 at 2:57 pmSeishun Otoko

Congratulations Bakamochi!
    I admit I judge animes on aesthetic appeal so very often too, humans are indeed shallow
    Can we see your collection of Nendoroids? :P

• March 16, 2012 at 5:37 pmNhelraios

Welcome to RC! May I ask what’s your favorite PSP game?

• March 16, 2012 at 7:57 pmJel

I appreciate that you are a fellow person that feels that the anime should visually look good or have good characters! I always thought people would think of me badly if I ever told them, but I completely agree with your reasoning behind it. Since you dedicate time to watching anime, it needs to be visually and mentally stimulating. YES.

I look forward to your time here at RC.

• March 18, 2012 at 1:13 pm#bash

PSP…RPGs… Have you tried YS Seven on nightmare difficulty?