Random Curiosity Podcast 13 – A New Test Drive »« Summer 2013 Retrospective Podcast

Fall 2013 Mid-Season Podcast

Pixiv or proper source required. Danbooru just isn’t cutting it for me.

Welcome to another round of podcasting! Despite attempts to rein in under time limits, our fellow authors just can’t help but be enthusiastic about this season’s current topics! Hopefully you can excuse the length of this current showing because we’ve got a whole lot of lively discussion and playful bashing to bring to you today!

Unfortunately, due to time constraints, bloopers will not be provided for this podcast, though we expect to bring them back next time. Without people with enough time to edit these podcasts for your pleasure, some corners have had to be cut. If you’re interested in helping with editing though (even if you’ve responded to similar requests previously), please drop me a line at my email [my author name]@randomc.net.

Also, a big shoutout to OGIUE MANIAX, whose blog got a shoutout this week! Though Guardian Enzo may find you as competition, some of us find your blog quite compelling!

Participating Writers
  Time Index
  • 00:00 – 07:00 – Introductions – 「Savior of Song」by Nano fear. MY FIRST STORY (Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio Ars Nova OP)
  • 7:00 – 17:45Nagi no Asukara
  • 17:45 – 28:00Samurai Flamenco
  • 28:00 – 41:50Kyoukai no Kanata
  • 41:50 – 58:50Golden Time
  • 58:50 – 59:50 – Intermission Song — 「Shissou Giga」 by TEPPAN (Kyousogiga ED)
  • 59:50 – 1:27:35 – Mixed Media
  • 1:26:35 – 1:48:20 – What do we like about our favorite shows?
  • 1:48:20 – 2:09:10Steins;Gate
  • 2:09:10 – 2:50:10 – Miyazaki and Ghibli
  • 2:38:10 – 2:50:37 – Shoutouts and Outro – 「Sweet & Sweet CHERRY」 by Horie Yui (Golden Time ED)

Listen to the Episode
Fall 2013 Mid-Season Podcast | Duration: 2:50:37 – 96 kbps

Download 160 kbps (195 MB)

November 15, 2013 at 1:19 am
  • November 15, 2013 at 1:29 amTakaii

It’s still so strange to hear myself. I think I sound pretty derpy.

• November 15, 2013 at 2:23 amdytianquin

Dude, you sound fine! A little funny at times, but fine.

• November 15, 2013 at 7:50 pmFreddeh

As a fellow streamer…I know what you mean >_>.

• November 19, 2013 at 2:07 pmDomo-kun

Dude, you sound great. Every guy feels the same when they hear their own voice :) for some reasons, girls don’t mind so much.

BTW, I was moved when you talked about your favorite animes and you talked about Love Hina. Love Hina is what probably got me into anime, along with GTO (long live GTO!). Before, I knew about Naruto only, so I did not consider watching anything else than shounen.
      If you haven’t already, you should read the Love Hina manga. It’s even better than the anime, and one of the few animes / mangas which I have re-watched / re-read.

It seems you just like to watch anime without going too deep into analyzing it but getting strong feelings at the same time. In that respect we are the same :)

/salute

• November 19, 2013 at 8:42 pmKairi

Not true, I have always hated the way I sound recorded, and so have all the girls I’ve known who ever did record their voices. I’ve just been podcasting since I was 13 and have recorded my voice for music purposes so I’ve gotten used to it. It’s normal to dislike the way your voice sounds recorded because you normally hear it distorted through bone and flesh, and your ears are positioned in a not-optimal place to pick it up from the outside. Plus, recording it just does things to it regardless.

• November 15, 2013 at 2:06 amFT5.Havok

Is Zanibas a chick? F*cking trap xD

• November 16, 2013 at 5:32 amD_Dusk

Traps are delicious

• November 15, 2013 at 2:22 amdytianquin

No bloopers this time around?

• November 16, 2013 at 10:46 amZephyr

Time constraints, sadly. May get added into the next podcast instead.

• November 19, 2013 at 10:56 pmCroos

You should have at least recorded where still was already drunk.

• November 15, 2013 at 3:09 amDollar

Everything I’m watching is being covered :’)

• November 15, 2013 at 4:19 amdytianquin

By the way, you guys didn’t put Zephyr under the list of artists on the mp3 file. No love for Zephyr </3

• November 15, 2013 at 4:21 amSucow

So sad , nobody mentioned Gotou of Samurai Flamenco =(
    I was really curious to know everyone’s opinion.

• November 15, 2013 at 5:32 amGuardian Enzo

I did.

• November 15, 2013 at 6:35 amSucow

:O
        Sorry, going to listen again!

• November 15, 2013 at 4:36 ampashis15

n o entender D:

= amo tu pagina! ;)

• November 15, 2013 at 5:23 amfishell

Eerrmm…can someone tell me what is a podcast?

• November 15, 2013 at 7:59 amstarss

Interesting. I don’t see Kill La Kill on the schedule list. Do you mention it at all?

• November 15, 2013 at 8:41 amTassadar

Kairi’s laugh is so awesome!! It makes me laugh myself; I had headphones on and people were looking at me funny at the office today!

• November 15, 2013 at 9:01 amStilts

You shoulda seen how they looked at me when I recorded this in the office.

• November 15, 2013 at 9:28 amdytianquin

Did you do this at work or something Stilts?

• November 15, 2013 at 9:44 amTassadar

I am sure it was worth the funny looks Stilts :P

• November 15, 2013 at 2:29 pmStilts

No one can prove I didn’t!

• November 16, 2013 at 1:35 amKairi

Aww thank you Tassadar. I am a firm believer in laughing like you mean it. xD None of this modest giggling stuff. Laughter is one of the best things in life~

• November 16, 2013 at 2:38 amTassadar

I couldn’t agree more Kairi. I mean, when I see/listen something funny, I just laugh out loud; no holding back. I have to admit that I have been laughing a lot more since I started watching anime, 3 years ago, and I don’t intend on giving up any time soon!

• November 15, 2013 at 1:36 pmhopeyffgrbp

I’ve been following randomc for four or five years now, and this is the first time I tried listening to a podcast.

EAR FIESTA. I think I have friend crushes on all of you guys now, especially Zanibas. And Takaii, your voice sounded just fine. (:

• November 16, 2013 at 1:18 amZanibas

Awww, you make me blush :3.

Drop me an email anytime so I can say thank you personally!

• November 15, 2013 at 1:59 pmthedarktower

I didn’t have time to hear all of it, but it was nice as always.
    thanks for enriching us.

I like the talking about Okada Mari (NnA writer) as promised. it’s very relevant while this kind of show is still on-going.
    it’s new to me about the timeskip. same with you guys – I hope not.

no talking about refrain or kyousogiga?well better leave refrain to another time, but kyosogiga..that’s something I’d love to hear.
    more than that, nothing about sports -_- there is some kind of distance between RC writers and sports anime (except for Enzo :P)?no one even blogging the new sports anime :\

p.s

unless they get shafted

LOL

• November 15, 2013 at 5:20 pmGuardian Enzo

I pushed very hard for Kyousogiga to be included, but the shows we ended up talking about were ones most of the podcast crew was following so it makes sense.

• November 15, 2013 at 6:45 pmStilts

I’m watching it too, so if we get a season-end one in (debatable, since we have the season preview + year-end post to do at the same time) it’s a likely conversation topic. At the very least I know Enzo will be yelling at everyone else to watch it in the meantime :D

• November 15, 2013 at 2:09 pmCraftWork

I have high expectations of the genre. All the “Christian Gangsta Rap”, I’ve heard so far hasn’t been as well done or performed as this piece.

• November 15, 2013 at 2:35 pmShrubbery

Just hearing you talk about Steins;Gate, memmorizing everything, gave me chills. Thats how good it is.

• November 15, 2013 at 3:01 pmTren

Actually, this art is an official one judging by the quality of picture and the fact that on danbooru it has an “official art” tag. :D

However, I couldn’t find it on the official site for the anime, so I guess it is a scan of something or it appeared in some other place. Maybe something out of the Knk artbook they were going to release?

• November 15, 2013 at 5:23 pmGoXDS

when you guys were talking about mixed media and Enzo thought it was limiting, I was thinking back to Bakuman. they were limiting themselves later on in a sense because some material wasn’t fit for anime (especially PCP). I was wondering if anyone was going to bring that up but guess not. but very interesting discussion. glad I started listening to the podcasts (only started like 4 podcasts ago

• November 15, 2013 at 9:05 pmPyroShield

aww I wish you guys played hacking to the gate as the outro song! ITS SO COOL! SONUVABITCH

• November 16, 2013 at 1:21 amStilts

I know, right? So good!

• November 16, 2013 at 12:31 amjebnemo

Take a look at the page on the Disney/Tokuma distribution deal at http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/disney – Disney was not allowed to edit the run-time of any of the Ghibli films.

• November 16, 2013 at 12:50 amKuntzy

I’d like to think Silts was talking about me regarding the Stein’s;Gate “After episode 12 you won’t be able to stop” comment but I don’t use Twitter. T_T

I finally got to actually listen to one of these darn things. For whatever reason my quicktime likes to crash during these so I pretty much gave up until now (Though admittedly the only reason I tried is because my PS4 didn’t show up for the weekend…).

I absolutely loved the Kyoani based in Mississippi joke Stilts made. Was so appropriate given Enzo’s rant just before. The reactions were awesome too. I busted my gut as soon as I heard it.

I look forward to the end of season podcast. Seems like you left the big shows for that one.

• November 16, 2013 at 1:26 amStilts

I’m glad someone liked my throw-away Mississippi joke, ’cause my fellow podcasters didn’t seem to catch on! D:

And I really don’t remember who said that. It could even have been on IRC or somewhere else, I’m really not sure. Or I could have made it up. All I know is that when I hit that episode, it was soooooo true. That show went from gradual to inevitable. Quickly inevitable.

• November 16, 2013 at 1:38 amKuntzy

Yeah, I made a comment in the Outbreak Company episode 3 blog post that was kind of word for word. I was listening without my headphones one so I heard that and I was all like, “Did I just get a shout-out?” Then I rewound it and heard twitter followers and then I was like “Awww…”

That’s one of those shows I wish I could erase from my mind just so I could enjoy it all over again.

• November 16, 2013 at 3:18 amGuardian Enzo

Oh, I got it – I just didn’t see any need to dig you in deeper than you already were!

• November 16, 2013 at 7:23 pmStilts

Dig me deeper? Mississippi can suck it! /throwdown

• November 17, 2013 at 12:44 amCybersteel

Probably those IRC regulars.

• November 17, 2013 at 1:37 amStilts

@ Kuntzy

I went back and looked at your comment on ob_c 03, and I think it was you I was thinking of! I thought it was on twitter because that’s where I was talking about S;G the most, but I can’t find any messages like that and yeah yer comment was pretty much exactly what I remembered. So consider yourself having had a shout out, I was just too drunk and lazy to confirm who it was actually from XD

• November 17, 2013 at 2:32 amKuntzy

@Stilts

Haha sweet! Well that just made my weekend a heck of a lot better. Thanks for that.

It hasn’t really been bad though. I’m just sulking, lol. (see my first post)

I look forward to Guardian Enzo (I’m assuming he’ll be back) covering the movie in December. I’ve heard some very good things about it and to say I’m excited is quite the understatement.

• November 16, 2013 at 5:49 amMocha

People keep talking about how Golden Time is different because it’s set in college, but what actually goes on in the plot could equally take place in high school. And as for the characters being more mature because they’re in college, young characters in high school can be just as mature. What’s the big deal with it being in college? Even crazier things than what has happened so far in Golden Time have happened in high school anime before.

• November 16, 2013 at 12:10 pmSylpher

Thank you for mentioning it! I also fail to see how a college setting improves the quality of a show.
      Sure, the majority of anime uses a high school setting, which in turn makes a college setting rather original, but the same can be said for a police department, hospital, fire station, office place or even a mortuary.
      Since the quality of anime mostly rely on story, characters and even visuals and sound, I don’t understand why a different “supposedly more mature” setting is being used as a positive argument in favor of the show.

• November 17, 2013 at 9:56 pmSolace

>Heck, there are tens of shows using a high school setting that are far better than Golden Time.

There’s an easy explanation for this: there is a KUH-RAP load of anime based in high school while there’s only a handful of ones based in college (or after).

• November 17, 2013 at 10:21 pmSolace

Two points.

Because of oversaturation. I dunno about you, but I’m no longer a high schooler nor a college student, so it’s definitely interesting to see older characters and their interactions. Adults aren’t as boring as the anime industry leaves you to believe. Oh and we got dark humor. LOTS of dark humor.

Because I’m tired of seeing high school settings being used as a crutch for writing human interaction and trying to pander to an audience that’s still feeling nostalgic about their high school days.

• November 18, 2013 at 4:30 amSylpher

Don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with anime using different more mature settings. In fact, I even encourage it since I like adult-centered themes and dark humor in for example Space Brothers.

My problem is with the argument on the Podcast: “Because It takes place in college, a more mature setting, it is a better show than the high school series” or something along those lines, which in my opinion is a fallacy. It’s more original due to the abundance of high school shows, but not necessarily better. I fail to understand the correlation between a more mature setting and quality writing.
        Sure, a college setting can result in a qualitatively better show, but that isn’t inherently the case, so I think it’s wrong to use it as a major positive argument in favor of any show.

• November 16, 2013 at 8:27 amJ_the_Man

Time skip in Nagi no Asukara… Weird, I was just thinking about that too. I think it’s likely. It makes sense, as the whole Akira arc feels like its foreshadowing things to come. I feel if that’s the case, then the characters need to mature in age before they hit the same problems facing Akira.

• November 16, 2013 at 9:23 amJ_the_Man

I caught Nana… But what was the other show you referenced about GT, Enzo?

• November 16, 2013 at 10:05 amJ_the_Man

Or maybe a list of all the out of season shows for the ignorant ones…

• November 16, 2013 at 9:39 pmGuardian Enzo

Nodama Cantabile. See also Honey & Clover, Bokura ga Ita, Paradise Kiss…

• November 17, 2013 at 3:57 pmJ_the_Man

Arigatou.

• November 16, 2013 at 10:32 amWissenschaft

Its a shame the time spent on Kyoukai no Kanata was basically about bashing the show for not being original enough. Really? Why waste time talking about the show at all then? I guess not enough off the writers enjoy Valvare to talk about it. Sucks.

• November 16, 2013 at 10:56 amZephyr

When you’re going to go in depth into a discussion of a series in a podcast, you can’t just ignore the elephant in the room. There are obvious questions one can ask in regards to the originality of the series, and it just wouldn’t make sense to ignore it in the grand scheme. You’ll note that we said the series wasn’t bad despite this, and that we’re still watching it, so it’s not as though we just “bashed the show.” Furthermore, this was part of a bigger discussion regarding KyoAni as a studio in general and our feelings about their recent works, which made KnK a vital piece of this podcast.

• November 16, 2013 at 7:27 pmStilts

What Zephy said. As I mentioned in the podcast itself I purposefully derailed the discussion onto KyoAni as a whole since this was a pattern I had been seeing more and more, and because Kyoukai no Kanata is fine, but not especially interesting to talk about in and of itself.

(Note: “not being interesting to talk about” and “not being interesting to watch” are NOT necessarily the same things. Might be in this case, but not necessarily. Just saying that we do filter podcast discussion shows by what we feel we can get a good conversation out of, and a fairly vanilla Kyoukai no Kanata probably wouldn’t have provided that on the strength of its plot alone.)

• November 16, 2013 at 9:41 pmGuardian Enzo

I might also add, Valvrave has been talked about before, and this was a segment of the podcast to discuss series that hadn’t.

Now – shut up and enjoy the scenery…

• November 16, 2013 at 11:57 amJ_the_Man

First real anime experience was probably Fruits Basket for me. I don’t really count the Saturday morning type shows.

• November 16, 2013 at 12:38 pmOwa

Great podcast, it made the Friday workday much more enjoyable xD

I may be the minority on this, but I’d like to give a shoutout to Yuushibu, which most ppl seemed to dismiss as a Maou-sama knockoff with more bewbs. But given a chance, it’s actually quite good.

Positive points:
    + Working adult characters that feel genuine
    + Fun setting; fantasy world that underwent a technological revolution (after the demon lord was defeated) where modern things are powered by magic (also dragons as news helicopters, dinosaurs pulling “wagon-cars”, heatwave caused by giant salamanders in “heat”/mating season)
    + Heartwarming themes of working hard at a small company/store and pushing the importance of customer service vs corporate Walmart-ism
    + Touches on a problem many young ppl have today: going to college/school for your dream career/future, but when you graduate, you just can’t find a job in your preferred industry so you’re forced to get a job doing something you didn’t want or didn’t expect to do. I think a lot of ppl can relate to this or know someone like that, the theme here is they make the most of it despite it being not their first career choice.
    + NOT A HAREM at all, despite its look. There’s maybe 2 love interests, but that’s not really the focus

If you can get over the bewbs and fanservice (which really isnt that bad compared to other shows this season), it’s a good genuine show in the same vein as Working!

• November 16, 2013 at 7:30 pmStilts

I actually agree. There’s a surprising amount of heart in Yuushiba, especially in regards to your fourth point – I really feel for Raul and All A’s dilemma, and its conveyed really well. I think they front-loaded the fanservice a bit too much to get BD pre-orders and in the process chased off a lot of other fans. Good business sense on their part perhaps (perhaps), but a bit of a shame.

Either that or I’ve just been desensitized to fanservice, lol

• November 17, 2013 at 12:46 amCybersteel

ITS A CONSPIRACY I TELL YA TO GET PEOPLE TO GET A JOB!!!

• November 17, 2013 at 4:16 pmdaikama

Actually, Yuushibu’s been consistently good IMO. Ample chest aside, Fino’s a surprisingly endearing character. I didn’t like Raul at first, but he’s actually not a bad ML. I actually like him at this point. Really there isn’t a single character who I dislike which lately isn’t something I take for granted anymore.

There’s definitely fanservice along with the comedy, but IMO you’re entirely correct about it not being all that extreme. It’s nowhere near as explicit as shows like this season’s Freezing Vibration, or HS DxD, Samurai Bride, etc. etc.

While I wouldn’t put forth the show as AOTY, I do think it’s entertaining and surprisingly deep in some aspects. So far there hasn’t been a single episode I didn’t like. Yuushibu is definitely more than just fan-service, and I’m glad I decided to follow it this season.

• November 17, 2013 at 4:04 amherpderp

Stilts, I’m curious; How long IS your backlog? Because Mine’s around 100 unwatched series and about 40 I put on hold long ago that I haven’t finished. And then about 100+ movies/OVA’s/specials. And I don’t think I’ll ever get through all of those.

• November 17, 2013 at 1:58 pmStilts

My MAL shows some of them, but only some of the ones I remembered to add. I can add that I have 20+ series, 18 OVAs and 11 movies sitting on my desktop waiting to be watched, those being the “at bat” backlog series. There are more, but I know I’ll never get through them all ;_; Not when I keep watching 20+ shows a season, that is!

• November 17, 2013 at 12:54 pmchad28

More people know DragonBall then Miyazaki and Ghibli.

• November 17, 2013 at 1:02 pmchad28

*than

I hadn’t watch anything from Kyoto Animation before Kyoukai no Kanata and I don’t see any of the corporate mindset Stilts talks about. I’m really enjoying the series.

I really liked Princess Mononoke, but I really don’t like Spirited Away, partly because of the hype.
      I only watched a Ghibli movie after I was really into anime. I knew about it before but it didn’t seem interesting to me.

• November 17, 2013 at 1:03 pmchad28

My first anime was DragonBall.
      My first that got me into anime was Naruto.

• November 17, 2013 at 3:18 pmUrizithar

No podcast about Log Horizon? Shame on you. Go and watch! Yes, you! What are you weiting for? ;p

• November 17, 2013 at 3:59 pmJ_the_Man

We’re in the final eighth of the year, and I don’t believe we ever had a pure “romance” series worth anything yet. Did I miss it?

• November 17, 2013 at 6:20 pmStilts

I don’t know what you mean by “pure” romance, not what your criteria is, but I’ve been enjoying romance anime all year. Just this season has Golden Time, Nagi no Asukara and WHITE ALBUM 2, among many others with strong romantic subplots.

If you’re not finding anime you like, I suggest you loosen up a bit. There are a lot of them to enjoy.

• November 17, 2013 at 10:41 pmGuardian Enzo

WA2 and GT are about as good a romance 1-2 punch as we’ve had in one season for a while.

• November 17, 2013 at 5:35 pminfo600

…a Shingeki no Kyojin reference in a test?!?!?!?!? I hope you were laughing hearing that, Kairi…

ps. more titans and hydralisks in next podcast please.

• November 17, 2013 at 5:47 pminfo600

YES! MORE CAGES!

/cap lock

• November 18, 2013 at 8:31 amJhacks

That was a great discussion especially the latter part, awesome stuff keep it up. I’m a little surprised that a lot of RC peps is in love with Linda-senpai (can’t blame you guys though), guess I’ll keep that sweet clinically crazy Kouko for myself. xD
    And another thing, Stilts your tweet spam on S;G was an amusing read.

P.S. C’mon guys I want that crazy Valvrave discussion next time. And Oh Zephyr what are you doing you are the RC Sci-fi dude watch it!, watch it now!, you know you want to, no just kidding! …….. No watch it! xP

• November 19, 2013 at 4:57 amKingofConquerors

I’m glad that finally Miyazaki’s movies are getting a nod and are being put in discussion since i haven’t seen a lot of current anime fans that have ever paid attention to his body of work (especially the new ones). He’s an absolute maestro, calling him the japanese Walt Disney is an understatement since the sheer amount of creativity and the innovations he pushed in all his pics are absolutely staggering, you don’t see such a level of inventiveness in a lot of American animations nowadays (A lot of people have been speaking about comparing Ghibli and Pixar as the pillars of animation of the two sides of the industry, but in truth Pixar’s filmography absolutely pales in comparison, especially since they have been out-of-form in the last three years).

It’s sad to see him making his eventual leave after The Wind Rises (I’m absolutely excited for the pic), but he’ll forever be fondly remembered as the best animation director i don’t think anyone can surpass.

• November 20, 2013 at 1:36 amMr_koopa

I’m suprised that you gusys aren’t reviewing white album 2 since you guys talked a lot about romance series this season. It is pretty well paced and it has a very nice natural type of feel to it.