Gurren Lagann – 14 »« Lucky Star – 12

FreezeFrame: I’m Looking At Her Ankles

Hayate%20no%20Gotoku!%20 %2013%20 %20Medium%2003

From some deep, dark corner in the back of jaalin’s mind…

Anime girls are the best. Unlike those found in 3d-land, anime girls were created for the sole purpose of entertaining me – decades in the making, the science of creating an anime girl has been perfected down to the little personality quirks, the glimmer in their eyes, and the nuances in their voice (Aisia lisp, anyone?) I thank these character designers from the bottom of my heart, cuz man oh man do they do their job well.

In most cases, anime girls are perfect. Understanding that “perfect” has many interpretations as the modern anime girl is assembled from a plethora of desirable traits, the one aspect that rarely varies is the shape of their body. Sure, there are differences in height and cup size, but for the most part, there is a singular template on which all bodies are constructed from.

You know my favorite part of it? It’s not the stunning neckline or the way clothes hang so lustfully off the bosom, nor their sculpted stomachs or their itty bitty waist. Those are all fantastic, but they all pale in comparison to none other than:

The ankles. Goddamn, anime chicks have the best freakin ankles.

Remember that that one scene in Densha Otoko where they go to Miina’s fan session, and Matsunaga-shi kept screaming for Miina to show her ankles? I thought that was the weirdest thing, but it kinda makes sense now. Kinda.

Why ankles?

For starters, it’s not something that’s in the common list of attractive traits, but when you ask specifically, most people would come to a consensus on an attractive ankle. It is, after all, the area where the long, shapely legs meet the petite, delicate foot – quite a special area that holds very little sexual appeal and yet is a crucial component of an attractive character. Without the ankles, you can’t have sexy legs!

For example, take that pic of Nagi. Normally known for her loli appeal, this pic makes her out to be so much more. Sure, most of the attention is on the place that allows our imagination to run, but it’s those ankles that are right there and complete the look. They are, fundamentally, what give those spectacular legs their slender shape.

Anime ankle science takes this a step further – custom-fit shoes. Notice how Nagi’s shoes have a strap right above the ankle? While not absolutely necessary, this plays an important role in accentuating the slenderness of the ankle by essentially having it squeeze through something. Another great example of this is seen on Mashiro-hime, another character not typically associated with sexual appeal, but oh man does she have hot legs in that pic. And it’s all due to the slender achilles area bringing out the supple shape of the calf area. Even Nia-sweetie with all the attention on her eyes and hair, sports a pair of shoes complete with ankle strap. And don’t forget Aoi-chan in the only time we’ve seen her wearing something other than that adorable kimono – never mind that she’s only got 4 toes (oh shi-?)

One more piece of evidence comes from Geass, where Villetta is flashing her own breathtaking set. As amazing as they look, don’t they seem to pale in comparison to the other examples above? In comparison, Villetta’s legs look unnaturally straight, unrealistic, and while extremely long, rather unshapely.

The Anklet Hypothesis can also apply to wrists, as so brilliantly demonstrated by Tsukasa in this pic. Doesn’t her arm look so much more slender with that bracelet?

So there you have it, my attempt at turning an ankle fetish into a science. Sounds like some bastardized male version of Lucky Star…

-jaalin

June 25, 2007 at 3:11 am
  • June 25, 2007 at 3:16 amKurisuViBritannia

You pervert Jaalin……

I expect to see more freezeframes like this one :P

• June 25, 2007 at 3:21 ampakxenon

Go read some Ai Kora.

• June 25, 2007 at 3:22 amYamanote

4 toes…4 toes…4 toes…4 toes…4 toes…4 toes…4 toes………………
    and i never thought guys would be this focused on ankles

• June 25, 2007 at 3:24 amMofudos

Creeeeeeepy.

• June 25, 2007 at 3:27 amjaalin

WE AIM TO PLEASE LOL

• June 25, 2007 at 3:37 ammoondoggiebuiscuit

Anime is indeed made to please people so your ankle fetish isn’t new jaalin…
    Ankle, shoulder, hand, feet, legs, ass, eyes… All were designed to please fans. So if your an ankle fetish type of pervert I won’t be the one to tease you…

• June 25, 2007 at 3:54 amsomeone

yup as pakxenon said ..go read aikora

• June 25, 2007 at 4:08 amjonat3

At first i thought this was a hidden reference to what the left ankle obscures. My mistake.

• June 25, 2007 at 4:09 amJulius

AGREE>

• June 25, 2007 at 4:15 amleingod

Lol. :) Thats not actually a bad reason, I quite like the idea… then again… its ankles…

• June 25, 2007 at 4:20 ammutio

This is freaking awesome cause now that you say it I really noticed how much this ankle thing weights lol^^
    But dude, that’s nothing against my ribbon fetish, oh man. Dear if a nice girl try to hit on me and has some clothes/ shoes whatever with cute ribbons. I give it all then lol..^^

• June 25, 2007 at 4:22 amTenkaichi

That was an entertaining entry. XD Although on the last part, aren’t the character designs for Code Geass drawn an extra head taller or whatever on purpose compared to the “standard anime character” (men and women both)? Can’t remember. But I guess that would at least make an argument for why her legs have too much length and not enough meat. . . . . :D

• June 25, 2007 at 4:30 amTetsuei

The Geass designs have to do with the current CLAMP inclination to elongate limbs, a la Tsubasa Chronicle. Viletta’s still dead sexy though.

• June 25, 2007 at 4:45 amNaakay

I wasn’t going to comment on this, but I face palmed pretty hard when you said..

“The ankles. Goddamn, anime chicks have the best freakin ankles.”

Then after reading the rest of the entry I found myself questioning my ankles because frankly, what you said made a whole lot of sense when it shouldn’t have. That, and the 4 toed Aoi-chan picture which I never noticed when I saw the anime made me cringe.

• June 25, 2007 at 5:12 amHarouki

same as someone and pakxenon

go read aikora and get all the parts fetishes a man can dream off

• June 25, 2007 at 6:57 amazupanda

you speak the truth XD

• June 25, 2007 at 6:58 amUnknown

1st time ever realised tat anime ankles are like tat >.

• June 25, 2007 at 7:41 amRasmiel

Oooookay…

*backs away from jaalin*

• June 25, 2007 at 7:43 amRinkun

i totally agree with you ^_^
    1st time someone have the same feeling toward ankle of anime character like me

• June 25, 2007 at 8:02 amAnza

I hate you for reminding me that Da Capo season 2 exists =_= O_O

• June 25, 2007 at 8:07 amChiuˆ2

That’s a pretty impresive fetish you have there. I never would’ve thought about the ankles in anime. I guess the ankles make the woman, right?

• June 25, 2007 at 9:20 ammo

Just thought you might like this screenshot from Seto no Hanayome – 11

• June 25, 2007 at 9:23 amSlade

that’s some deep ummm… yeah thoughts there…

• June 25, 2007 at 10:03 amMighty Mouse

Wow… I found this post disturbing, funny, and true at the same time.

I salute you!

lol

• June 25, 2007 at 10:08 am-_-

hentai…

• June 25, 2007 at 10:21 amtwsl

hehehe nice article man =D never knew that an ankle-fetish existed =D very interesting ^_______^ i’m going to pay more attention to the ankles from now on ;p

• June 25, 2007 at 10:31 amKite

Wow.. I’m deeply disturbed at the moment but will be on the look out for em ankles :p

• June 25, 2007 at 10:34 amKite

Besides I thought the collar bone was the most sensual part of the female body (Kyou no Go no Ni ep 1) xD

• June 25, 2007 at 10:54 amdward

I kinda agree with jaalin though. I don’t really know how to describe it as detailedly as jaalin does but a well-drawn ankle does certainly make the (female) characters look good. Just think of it in a less perverted and more artistic kind of way. In recent years, I’ve learned to appreciate anime as an alternative form of art. I’m not artist and am certainly not doing anything related to arts (I suck at it) but I find myself starting to appreciate more on how the different characters are drawn, how realistic they are etc. Of ’cause, I still love animes that have good storyline and plot but I tend to fall more in love with animes that have more realistic character design and such. That’s maybe one of the reason why I just can’t bring myself to watch a single episode of Gurren Lagann.

Oh yeah, for those who wanna know my definition of ‘realistic’ anime characters, go watch Eyeshield 21. For some reasons, I find the female characters in there attractive. Just my 2cents worth.

• June 25, 2007 at 10:57 amyomax

lol…Nice one Jaalin xD. “Go read some Ai Kora.” Pakxenon! I owe u. This manga is awesome. xD

• June 25, 2007 at 10:57 amcbhl

I think it was the admittance that it was a fetish at the end that ruined the tone… and the cleanliness of the discussion. ^_^ You could have called it an analysis of the anime art style, or one of X secrets to drawing perfect females in the anime style… in the end, it’s just a fetish.

Oh well. At least you made me laugh. But, being a guy, that seems kinda natural. I wonder how many of the female visitors you’ll disturb, though… >.> Do you have any interest at all in … real-life females?

• June 25, 2007 at 11:00 amRexter

Am i the only one who thought “Im so ronery”? This is the first time i wished i could sage something.

• June 25, 2007 at 11:27 amlollerskates

“Go read some Ai Kora.” – pakxenon

That was the first thing that popped into my head. XD

• June 25, 2007 at 11:40 amsushi

weird fetish you got there

• June 25, 2007 at 11:41 amSyouke

Haha. You made me laugh. I would never talk u will talk about this. Well its kinda true. I should pay more attention at the ankles now XD.

• June 25, 2007 at 11:57 amEld

well it’s goooood >_> seeing you like ankles
    i would rather go for their cute faces and the eyes.
    sigh… so hard to find girls with pink hair these days ..

• June 25, 2007 at 12:08 pmking

lets you say the same thing if a guy was wearing the bracelet or straps on their ankles

• June 25, 2007 at 12:28 pmnico

“Anime girls are the best. Unlike those found in 3d-land, anime girls were created for the sole purpose of entertaining me”
    hahaha awww I kinda felt sorry for you there..

• June 25, 2007 at 12:33 pmmangaijin

the entry could’ve been written by Box from Akihabara@Deep…funny stuff

• June 25, 2007 at 12:34 pmNinja

I had no idea guys would ever find ankles remotely attractive.
    Something to keep in mind I suppose…

• June 25, 2007 at 12:53 pmVaris

I’m happy you get very very very excited at … ankles…

So I take it you don’t tie your girls up because it would ruin the ankles. Food for thought I guess

• June 25, 2007 at 12:53 pmVexx

ankles and the back of the neck (twintails expose the back of the neck) ….

what?

• June 25, 2007 at 12:56 pmasdffdsa

99% of characters in anime/manga hold a set of physical features that represent the epitome of what is considered beauty in popular culture today, not always but very often in obvious caucasian form. Even though I’m caucasian, it still bothers me to see it over and over again, to the point where this same look is becoming less attractive on “real” humans due to boredom (and I only watch a few anime, anyhow).

• June 25, 2007 at 12:58 pmxXMikotoNakadaiXx

jaalin looks at nagi loli lollll

Although I find ankles attractive too…

• June 25, 2007 at 1:27 pmNerroth

So, basically you are…

then?

Sorry, it was just too obvious not to go for!

• June 25, 2007 at 1:53 pmSlade

for some reason I’m now anticipating seeing Jean and Clare’s ankles from Claymore once animated…

• June 25, 2007 at 2:18 pmDrakron

Jaalin is a parts fetishist …

• June 25, 2007 at 3:12 pmblue

lol thanks for reminding me that I’ll never undertand male sexuality :P

• June 25, 2007 at 3:30 pmHavikx

ROFL that was freaking great. i lmao’d the whole time, keep up the great work man :D

• June 25, 2007 at 3:32 pmIllusionist

lol.

• June 25, 2007 at 4:08 pm8ghosts

They need to perfect drawing the feet though and I don’t mean that 4 toe pic.

• June 25, 2007 at 5:54 pmZzz…

*cries tears of joy*

YES!!! Someone else understands the beauty of well-formed ankles.

Jaalin you are a brother to me now.

• June 25, 2007 at 7:02 pmKari Manninen

To adffdsa: 99% of female anime characters look definitely mostly like very beautiful JAPANESE GIRLS.This becomes very obvious if you take a good look on A LOT of those girls/women, whether they are live or in photos or on video.You can start with checking positioning of the eyes: japanese girls have their eyes much wider apart than “caucasians”( a nonsense term,no equivalent to that in real world),then the shape of face, which in modern otaku anime is surprisingly realistic in most cases. Then even the slimmest body forms of japanese females is more rounded, softly lined than the most part of westerners. Besides, Jaalin has got it right.Check Morning Musume!

• June 25, 2007 at 7:30 pmTiin

Alrighty… O_O

• June 25, 2007 at 8:30 pmJuvyniled

Parts fetishist eh…. you’d love Ai Kora. :p

Someone needs an intervention…. LEGS make a female sexy, not an ankle… that’s just weird. o_O;

• June 25, 2007 at 9:01 pmMikedo

55 posts and no one noticed she not wearing Show Spoiler ▼

• June 26, 2007 at 4:22 pmfalscribe

Dayam. I always envied girls with nice ankles. Now that I know guys really do like ‘em, it doesn’t make me feel better…XD

Don’t worry about it, girls have a lot of weird fetishes too, ne?

• June 27, 2007 at 9:57 pmtayad

GJ, man. XD

• June 27, 2007 at 10:51 pmYouko

Haha, I love this entire entry. I’d like to see some more anime anatomical science in the future.

• June 28, 2007 at 12:31 amRaymond-akito

I think u r right. (-ω-)
    Not only the ankles but all her legs.

• June 28, 2007 at 6:45 amRokitoru

-speaking about legs to bad that the right leg is covering the most interesting part ^^LOL ®

• June 28, 2007 at 1:52 pmYou idiot.

That is both sad and disgusting in ways I never imagined possible. There are so many many many thing wrong with this post and the positive responses its recieving I can’t even bring myself to start listing them.

You all need to touch back on reality.

• June 28, 2007 at 5:40 pmAsunaNegi

I really thought those otaku from densha otoko were really weird because of the ankle fetish. Although I still don’t have a fetish for ankles, you really have pointed out to me just how much of a role these seemingly-unimportant body parts are in creating an awesome-looking character.

Oh, and Nagi is delicious flatchest.

• June 30, 2007 at 2:13 amTrejon

go on dude im on your side!!! and for those who dont know… you can see anime online… and i mean a loooot of anime online… actually in this website i can see the episodes of the series as soon they release it and to the time to charge the video is like 5 to 10 minutes only… and the website its http://www.veoh.com there you have to register then go the the search bar and search the anime you want to see… and for those who likes hentai too… in the upper right corner you can put off family filter and go to the search bar and write hentai lol… and you can find like 4000 videos there, like bible black and such xD

• July 1, 2007 at 6:40 amtonbo

showing ones ankles (for any girl) is ero , literally , in not so long ago times. its the reason we have socks and stockings etc.
    thus the ‘otaku reference to AT Field as refering to that makes sense. good art / manga and anime means well rendered body parts and thus ankles too ( as & when storyline demands ). cheers to good artistic sense in anime.

• July 1, 2007 at 2:39 pmKari Manninen

Of course i have ALL GIRL PARTS fetish,not only ankles,no any lol:s please

• October 19, 2007 at 9:32 pmeoneaves

okay, what the hell are ya talkin about???

• November 24, 2007 at 11:19 pmaaron

lol this is like that one episode from Kyou no Go no Ni(today in class 5-2) where the main character talks about collar bones

• December 31, 2007 at 2:15 amraimaru2880

That’s amazing… I’ve never thought it goes that way. Now a new door to animeness is opened in my mind… thank you Jaalin… I think.

• January 2, 2008 at 2:34 amAvs

Here’s to you and a happy new years. You are right on the money with your ankle analysis of Nagi. If this **** didn’t exist, then people wouldn’t ever mention it.

• February 16, 2008 at 7:33 pmhikari

Lol that made sense
    but the ankles and the wrists doesnt just apply to 2d charaters
    If artists are trying to create an “ideal” looking character they have considered all the aspects of the human body
    mabe people should start paying attenton to the ankles and the wrists before they go out
    i know many people wear wristbands and they proberly dont even know why they like them.

Maybe watches do the same thing and that’s why people who have been tagged with the anklet look so cool :P
    Before i go out tomorrow im going to wear something brightly coloured to draw everyones eye towards my wrist or my ankles.

I think you might have something here
    im also amazed you have looked so carefully into the anime characters as a whole instead of the obvious things that stand out

J.W.

• April 17, 2008 at 7:10 pmbrandon

ANKLES! i also love the eyes and nose!

• September 5, 2008 at 8:51 pmnyan-nyan

-3-b Jaalin…this will go down in anime blogging HISTORY.

• September 23, 2008 at 2:45 amnihao~

@nyan nyan It has already gone down into anime blogging history. this has been posted in so many places now.

Awesome entry!

But collarbones > ankles

• November 20, 2008 at 11:26 pmlol

roflcat I was here

• January 15, 2009 at 12:13 pmiskuter

ankles?! O_o?

• January 23, 2009 at 5:30 pmAvenger

About damn time. I’ve always, and I do mean ALWAYS, had an ankle fetish. It’s finally nice to see others with the same interests.

• March 17, 2009 at 3:53 amahelo

anime nerd…. people in real life are better

• September 17, 2010 at 9:24 pmPhantomPhreek

Jaalin is god!…Where the hell is he now when humanity needs him the most!